Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20682 Discussions

ArmA 3: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED seems driver related

ICust27
Novice

Hello,

Ever since ArmA 3 was released as an alpha back in March, it plagued me (and quite a few others) with these apparently random DirectX 11 crashes (either freezing or CTD):

"D3D Error - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED"

"Display Driver Stopped Responding and has recovered."

A few days ago I, acting on a hunch, installed an old driver (15.28.7.64.2867) from October(?) 2012 and was able to play the game without any crashes in area's/maps that were unplayable before.

Working my way up (I have some, but not all drivers released) I found that the drivers up to 9.17.10.2932 (December 2012) perform flawlessly, while 9.18.10.3071 (March 2013) and later tend to suffer from this issue.

So while installing the latest drivers is recommended as a starting point for every glitch, in this case it is not going to get you anywhere: it seems that every iteration has inherited a flaw that was introduced somewhere during that period (December 2012 - March 2013).

I hope this in some way helps you to tackle this issue, and allows me to have my graphics driver up to date in the near future...

These 'tests' were performed, ceteris paribus, on this machine:

Intel i7-3770K@3500|3900 (HD 4000@1150)

MSi Z77A-GD65 (UEFI: 10.11ß)

32GB Corsair Vengeance@1600

Windows 8.1_x64

All drivers were up to date.

92 Replies
DBRAN8
Beginner

Hi guys, I have intel grapichs 4000, its terrible, because I can't play Arma 3, everytimes the game crash. I don't know whats happen with the driver.

I installed the 2932 version and it's running ok, but the fps decrase in 15-20 fps...

I installed 15.28.12.64.2932 its ok.. But the 9.17.10.2932, A12 version I can't. I had an error, the computer has not the minimum requirement.

Anyone have any idea what driver I can install?

I have a i5 8gbram hd graphics 4000. I can't install the recent version, because the game crash everytime.

I hope a solution!

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi diegobranco,

15.28.12.64.2932 is the 64bit driver package which contains the actual Gfx driver 9.17.10.2932 (plus audio driver which is why it's a package). I'm assuming you're either trying to install a 32bit version instead of 64 OR you're trying to install a generic 2932 over an OEM driver which the OEM driver attempts to block.

Either way, I'd stick with the 64bit version since it works for ya.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi All,

Engg department said this is resolved and going through test as we speak. I'm awaiting final test cycles to complete and am targeting the quarterly Q2'16 release.

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos
DBRAN8
Beginner

Hi guys, I tryied 10 drivers, No chance! The last driver tested was 3496, I played 50 minutes and crashed. I have no idea whats going... I've installed the 2932, but the performance not is good like the 4226 or 3496... the driver 2932 is running ok... but the fps decrease in 10 or 15 fps... Do you have the last version of 2932?

What the forecast to fix this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RShma
Beginner

does .4358 work? or do we still have to wait till Q2 2016?

0 Kudos
DBRAN8
Beginner

I tested 4358 4 day ago.... and still crashing the game.. sometimes I play 40 minutes and after this crash!

We are waiting this new driver.. I can't believe that this problem already running about 3 years and intel eng don't work for this...

Thnx

0 Kudos
RShma
Beginner
0 Kudos
CJone16
Beginner

I just paid $60 for ARMA3 on steam. I go to start the game and immediately get hit with this "D3D Error - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" window. I then click OK and another windows pops open saying ARMA has closed due to unusual behavior.. Anyway the report the window created is attached to this post. I tried highlighting and copying the text but right clicking didnt produce a menu so I couldn't copy it.. ctrl C didnt work either. Please advise. Hate to think I wasted $60 on game I cant play. BTW I'm using an ASUS GTX 970 STRIX GFX card which too is giving me problems with playing ARMA and SQUAD.. the FPS is horribly low 10-20 fps.. and I'm using the Intel 6700k processor with 16gb of ram.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

I sorry to hear about this issue with this game, as of now, it would be to wait for the driver announced, let me check if they have updates regarding this.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
CJone16
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

thank you for your time with looking into this situation. I wanted to add a note about my Device Manager Display selection. IntelHD doesn't seem to be listed.. All that is listed is my ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix. The motherboard I'm using is a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming GT and again the processor that I'm using is an I7-6700k that I recently purchased almost two weeks ago, which is running VERY HOT without cooling. *read other users running this processor without cooling and claimed it didnt get hot* but that's unrelated and another thread.

0 Kudos
CJone16
Beginner

UPDATE: I rolled back my ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Nvidia driver to the one before the most recent. Since then the error has gone away.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, VertigoStudios:

I am glad to hear that the previous driver for your GPU fixed the issue.

Most motherboards are going to disable the iGPU (integrated GPU in the CPU) while using dGPUs (your ASUS GeForce GTX 970) for that reason, the Intel® HD Graphics could not be present in your device manager (this would be under display adapters and could be enabled at BIOS level, depending on the motherboard's manufacturer this could be present or not).

Regarding running the CPU without cooling, I haven't heard that and it doesn't sound like a good practice, using the stock heat sink would be required to get good temperatures, and to avoid any possible damage to the unit it is also recommended to use it.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
TBose1
Beginner

It's been four years(since 2932 driver), and Intel is not able to fix this issue? OMG

Are you joking Intel? Is this how you make your products?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Gork:

Sorry to hear you are encountering with this issue.

Have you tested the behavior of your system with the latest drivers available?

May I have your https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility report? as well as

It would be great to have for troubleshooting/replication purposes.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
TBose1
Beginner

Is this even needed? Everything has been said at the beginning of this topic. Arma3 crashes after some time in game. I have tried multiple drivers(and the newest of course). Only one which worked was 2932, but it doesn't work under Win10, so I'm done now. I have Sony Vaio with i5 2,5Ghz + HD4000 graphics + 12GB Ram. The problem is obviously driver, because older(2932) worked well and people from all around the world are complaining about the same behaviour(just check google with "Arma 3 Intel HD4000 driver crash").

This thing was reported so many times and Intel is always asking the same question like it was a new issue.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Yeah, turned out it's not an Intel issue. Regardless, we're still trying to work around the issue for users anyway, but the several WA's we came up with keep breaking other parts of the driver which I'm sure billions of other people (and yourself) would rather have working than this game fix (we got the WA functioning in 2932 but another fix broke again soon after). So yes, it's taken time to get to this point, though it's not our top priority with larger issues to focus on. That said, I did get confirmation that the latest WA passed testing and is getting added to future Win10 drivers on 4th Gen and higher. I'm still waiting for test results on WIn7 & 8 drivers for 3rd Gen+.

0 Kudos
TBose1
Beginner

So the game is causing driver crashes? Who to blame? Arma3 devs said the game is running on HD4000. Can you specify what the problem is? It seems like it crashes more in multiplayer than singleplayer(or at least for me, singleplayer is stable enough to enjoy playing). Is it shader related or what? Maybe Arma devs can fix the problem? Thank you btw!

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you Bryce@Intel for your input/clarification on this.

Gork, have you checked with the game developer support? Some additional settings changes can be available from their end or possibly patches or fixed for this scenario.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
TBose1
Beginner

I've contacted BI tech support and they are hopefully investigating the issue. The reason I was contacting Intel support first was that it seemed like driver is causing issues, not the game. Now when I know, that the problem is Arma3 related, I won't bother you anymore. Thank you for responding. Maybe someone else with the same problem will find this helpfull.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your answer on this Gork.

After getting the outcome with this, it would be great to have that possible solution or workaround posted in here, so more peers can have access to that information.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
ICust27
Novice

Tried 4425, the issue persists; can someone elaborate on the WA not making it into this version?

0 Kudos