Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21062 Discussions

Asrock Intel Arc A770 16gb - Can't enable HDR on Windows using via DisplayPort

LeandroRomao
Novice

Good day everyone.
Got an Intel Arc A770 16gb from Asrock, the Phantom Gaming model. I'm using Windows 11 23H2 and I can't enable HDR using the DisplayPort cable on my LG Ultragear 32" (32GN600-B model).
The cable is the one that came with the monitor, and with it I could enable HDR and VRR with my previous GPU, a Radeon RX 6600, so the cable is not the problem.
Using HDMI I could enable HDR, but I lost the VRR capability.
I tried all the 3 DisplayPort connections from the GPU.
I removed the AMD driver using DDU in safe mode.
Driver is the latest one (4952) but tried the latest WHQL (4887) and got the same problem.
Does anyone knows what could be causing this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Attached the SSU.txt report.

Couldn't find the option to generate a report on the Intel ARC Control Center.

15 Replies
HXunbanned
Novice

No updates so far?

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I know using HDR on your monitor is important to get the best output quality from your media content.

We currently have some similar model monitors that exhibit the same issue, including LG 32GN500-B and LG 32GN63T-B, we would need to check if the one you have LG 32GN600-B might be affected by the same compatibility problem or if it might be a different issue, so please let's first try updating to our latest driver 31.0.101.4953 and let us know if the same happens so we can check this internally with our team.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
LeandroRomao
Novice

Hello and thanks for answering.

I updated to the latest 31.0.101.4953 but the problem persists.

I really believe it to be a compatibility problem because on the Windows 11 display options the info 

I get is that the monitor doesn't support HDR, but it is clear and known it does support.

I will hope you guys can check it internally and figure it out.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

I am with you, in that the monitor does support HDR based on the specifications website, also because it was working fine with your previous GPU and as well it works with HDMI. Now that you updated to the latest driver and since the issue is still the same let me check with our team if the monitor might be affected by the same compatibility issue. I will let you know once I have an update for you.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
LeandroRomao
Novice
I'll be waiting for any update.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

Our driver debug team has reviewed and worked on this issue as well as the past reports from other LG monitors and determined the display panel is not using the correct value for StaticMetadataType1 field in the EDID, thus the graphics driver understands the monitor as not HDR capable. Enabling this field in the EDID is the standard way for displays to communicate the HDR capabilities to the GPU.

We suspect the panel is sending different info depending on the GPU detected this is why it is working on other GPUs. In this case, the fix and added compatibility will need to come from LG so please contact them directly so they can help further with this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
LeandroRomao
Novice
Hello and thank you for your answer.
Isn't there anything Intel could do on the driver side to workaround this issue?
I'm asking you this because I contacted the LG support and they basically told me there is nothing they could do about it, so I am worried by now.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

In this case, as mentioned in our previous post our driver debug team already looked into this problem, and since the StaticMetadataType1 is the standard way for the broadest set of monitors to detect HDR capabilities the fix for this issue will need to come from LG. We know this might be an inconvenience, however, we cannot commit to a specific outcome in the future as it seems to be a monitor problem.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
LeandroRomao
Novice
I insisted with LG support and they slightly changed their tone, asking me to send the issue to another "survey" form and their technicians would see and work on the issue, but they didn't give any time frame and told me they will not contact back, that I will have to check from time to time the product support page to see if there is any update.
I am already doing some research to substitute my monitor for other brand that treats their loyal customers better. LG never again!
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

Thank you for letting us know. Hopefully, the way for LG monitors to detect HDR will be standardized as the other manufacturer monitors to work with our Intel® Arc™ A770 GPUs. Let us know if you have further questions related to this topic that we can assist you with.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
LeandroRomao
Novice
Thanks for the answer.

I was trying some workaround based on EDID override, as described is this article: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/overriding-monitor-edids and with the help of people on this forum: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=1 and we are curious to know why the Intel Arc driver is ignoring the EDID overrides as they produced no effect at all, but they should have temporarily fixed my issue until a definitive fix would become available.
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

Since this process to override the EDID from the .inf is done with a third-party tool and involves modifying the manufacturer settings we might no be able to provide support on this, however, allow me to check this with our team and I will let you know if there is any information available.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
LeandroRomao
Novice

Hello. Thanks for the attention.

Was talking to people at the forum I mentioned and they think the other manufacturers of GPUs (nVidia and AMD) already know about this issue with LG monitors (and maybe other brands) and have on their own drivers a database of EDID overrides for each model, preventing those kinds of incompatibilities, what could explain why I didn't experience this issue using the exact same monitor when I had a nVIDIA RTX and an AMD RX.
I'll be looking forward to your answer.
Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

Thank you for your time. Answering your question we do not support EDID overrides, so at the moment it would be better to wait for a possible fix that LG could release or you can continue to work with the CRU team for possible workarounds, however, this has been classified as a compatibility problem coming from the monitor manufacturer and so far the fix will need to come from their side.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello LeandroRomao

We will close this thread since there are no further questions, as mentioned in our previous posts, please continue to work with the manufacturer of your monitor for future workaround to this issue. If you need further assistance with any other problem, feel free to open a new topic.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos