Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Auto scaling issue in Full-Screen Mode with Intel HD 4600 graphics

HJung9
Novice

There is auto scaling issue in Full-Screen mode ( usually in game ^-^ )

In NVIDIA, it is possible to scale game screen full-fittingly with fixed aspect ratio.

But, In Intel HD 4600 graphics driver... there is no way to fit game screen fully in FULL SCREEN MODE.

In Intel graphics, FIXED ASPECT RATIO only works when I set game resolution max to possible.

( In my system, max possible resolution is 1920 X 1080 and ONLY when I set IT on game, FIXED ASPECT RATIO works. )

But I believe it is not good solution because there are so many classic games having no option to change resolution.

Is it possible to auto scaling like NVIDIA in FULL SCREEN MODE ???

1 Solution
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

Please checkout newest driver posted for Haswell/Broadwell product generations (Intel HD Graphics 4200/4400/4600/5000 + Iris 5100 and Iris Pro 5200 + Intel HD Graphics 5300, 5500, 6000, Iris 6100, Iris Pro 6200):

Make sure to follow the instructions about selecting preferred scaling option in Intel control panel and checking the "Override Application Scaling" checkbox.

View solution in original post

47 Replies
JKyry
Beginner

The Intel Driver Update Utility shows that being the latest, sorry, just downloading the latest now and I'll let you know if it fixed it.

0 Kudos
JKyry
Beginner

Perfect! Forced the update by looking for my driver manually, and now all of the games work even via HDMI to my monitor!

Thanks for the speedy fix Intel!

0 Kudos
NSlot
Beginner

I also have a Dell XPS 15 (9530) and tried the 3960 driver. I still have the scaling issues with CIV 5 in DX10/11 and with ROME II.

0 Kudos
JKyry
Beginner

That's strange.. I just went to test it and the Windows 8 Touch Enabled version worked fine for me, no problems.

I went to test the DirectX 10&11 version and there is no scaling issue either, however, I am noticing that all of the letters and numbers are almost 'wiggling'.. Idk how else to describe it, it's so weird. And when I click on any of the menu options, some of the gold from the previous menu almost seems like it 'dissolves' after it loads the other menu. Not all of it and after a second it's the way it should be, but it's always there and it's so weird....

I tried screenshoting it but it only gave me a black screen. If you want me to upload a pic of what I mean I can try around with Razer's game suite to see if it can screen cap for me and maybe video it too.

So weird...

0 Kudos
NSlot
Beginner

Hi,

i tried it with the integrated graphics controller and with the nvidia card. DX10/11 mode or Win 8 touch mode doesn't make a difference either. Still the same centered picture in non-native resolution.

The device manager and intel control panel show driver version 3960, so it should be installed correctly.

0 Kudos
JKyry
Beginner

Have you gone into display settings in the Intel Control Panel after you updated and set it so it scales full screen?

0 Kudos
NSlot
Beginner

I dont have that option when running Windows in native resolution. Only keep display scaling is available then.

0 Kudos
JKyry
Beginner

I doubt you have the driver properly installed then, seeing as that is the driver that brings that option back, however, I'm not the one to speak here, I'd suggest you upload your DXDiag log file and see what the Intel reps here have to say. Best of luck there!

0 Kudos
JKyry
Beginner

Okay nevermind, it only fixed the issue for my laptop when using the built-in screen. Just tried hooking up via HDMI to my monitor and got the same issue as before with there being about 3 inches of black space on left+right, 2 inches on top+bottom...

No need to post pictures as it's the exact same as before.

*Note:

The option to scale to fullscreen is there when using built-in monitor, but as soon as I plug in the HDMI cable, it goes away and I'm left with just the other two options...

For reference, here's my dxdiag log

0 Kudos
MMoci
Beginner

Hello, for me the problem hasnt been fixed after instaling latest driver. Still no scaling...

Here is my dxdiag

idata
Employee
BP5
New Contributor I

Still an issue for me.

SPeti1
Novice

Thank you Intel, the latest driver fixed it for me, at last. Great support. I'm out of here (registered just to say thanks).

Laptop is Lenovo Y50 Windows 8.1 64 with intel 4600 + Nvidia gtx 860m (optimus).

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the feedback, SneakyLitterman.

0 Kudos
KJano
Beginner

Hello,

Having the same scaling problem with new Assassin's Creed games (IV, V). I need to run them in resolution lower than native (1920X1080) to enhance performance. I cannot imagine changing the desktops resolution every single time I would like to play. System says I have the latest drivers (10.18.10.3960).

I see that this problem is more than a year old, why it is not solved yet?

Best regards,

Kaju
0 Kudos
TSayl1
Beginner

I'm having this same problem as well, on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro under Windows 8.1. My native resolution is 3200x1800 (which is what I run, with 200% font sizing), so without scaling I get a ridiculously small centered window for my games. It seems that I've always had this problem on every DirectX 10 and 11 game (but not DirectX 9).

I've updated to the latest driver (.3960), I'm using DirectX 11, and I've tested with just one game recently (Bioshock Infinite, but other games have failed in the past too). Still having the problem. When I look in my Intel Graphics Options under "Panel Fit", the only option I have is "Maintain Display Scaling".

0 Kudos
BP5
New Contributor I

11/21/2014

Still an issue. Maintain Display Scaling is only option available.

SPeti1
Novice

Just a thought... People can't play Dragon Age Inquisition in full-screen mode with optimus systems. Might it be related to the intel driver too?

RGabr
Novice

This is still an issue with 3960 drivers.

DCao3
Beginner

Just posting to add my experiences.

This is still an issue for me with the 3960 driver.

I have a HD 4600 and GTX 870M in my system. I get the black borders as described by previous posts in this thread when trying to play Star Citizen.

My native resolution is 3200x1800, and I'm trying to play SC at 1600x900.

The only workaround I have found so far is alt-tabbing out after starting SC, and in the Intel graphics panel, setting the resolution to some non-native one (e.g. 1080p), and the scaling to 'Scale Full Screen'. Selecting 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' appears to have the same effect as 'Center Image' - the aforementioned black borders. I've had this issue since getting this laptop, and would love to see it fixed!

BP5
New Contributor I

New year, same old problem. Latest intel drivers for Haswell i7, HD 4400 no proper scaling support at native resolution.