Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

BUG: dwm.exe uses memory leakage with Intel HD Graphics 630

Cody
New Contributor I

Hi,

dwm.exe (Desktop-Window Manager) uses high memory with Intel Intel HD Graphics 630. This problem has been reported before:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-windows-manager-dwm-memory-leakage-in/c2968fb0-ee26-4483-9f08-dfa19149cd24

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/iqttw5/windows_10_dwmexe_high_ram_usage/g4umzyn/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Here's a screenshot of my dwm ram usage after 2 hours (1.6 GB):
Image1.jpg

Please, this bug is already known for 3-4 months, and I do not want to reinstall a 2019 driver...

1 Solution
Gabriela_Intel

It seems that everyone has posted positive results so far about beta driver 101.1121 resolving this dwm leak issue. I'm going ahead and marking this thread as resolved! Please note that we'll specifically call out this fix in the release notes of our next production driver release to the Download Center which will be found here once available.

Special thanks to @HKlum@TurboTacho@Ansuel, and the MANY others that dedicated their time testing and providing various dump files. I really appreciate you all sticking by our side after all this time to make sure this long-standing problem gets resolved. You folks are what make this Community forum so great. We couldn't have done it without you! 😊

For those of you that continue to exhibit issues: Please create new individual threads so we can assess if it is a separate issue or not for your particular case.

Thanks again everyone!!

View solution in original post

612 Replies
Bryce_Intel

Here's some info on it:

GFlags - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

Below are the steps:-

1. GFlags is included in the Debugging Tools for Windows 10 (WinDbg). Once installed, run gflags from command line.
    Open CMD and navigate to the gflags.exe tool path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64, then
    select "Run as administrator".
  2. In the UI, enter dwm.exe as the Image name.
  3. Check the boxes – Enable heap tail checking, Enable heap tagging, Create user mode stack trace database and Apply the settings.
  4. Reproduce the scenario and let dwm.exe accumulate memory close to 2 GB.
  5. Right click on Desktop Windows Manager in the Task Manger and select “Create Dump File”

It would be best if the users are able to share the dump files with the latest GFX driver and OS version available.

Please upload the dump and confirm which driver and OS version you captured it with.

0 Kudos
MrX1980
New Contributor I

Hello @Bryce_Intel ,

I have done now the steps with Windows 10 Build 21390 and Intel driver 100.9466

dwm.DMP ~2,27 GB

DxDiag.txt

Intel® HD Graphics 620 - Wednesday, 09 June 2021.txt

gflags_settings.png

= gflags_dwm_Win10_21390_Intel_9466.zip ~ 261 MB

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14609346/gflags_dwm_Win10_21390_Intel_9466.zip.html

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Very strange @MrX1980, my dev examined the dump, they said they don't see gflags enabled. I told them to check your settings png and they said the settings look to be correct, so they're not sure why the dump didn't populate correctly. Do you have any idea why? Would you be willing to try again?

Bryce, I checked the dump you provided. I do not see the gflags - Enable heap tail checking, Enable heap tagging, Create user mode stack trace database enabled in it.

0:000> !gflag

Current NtGlobalFlag contents: 0x00000000

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

The Dev responded back with a little more.

"It doesn’t work for me if I do not restart the system after enabling the gflags.

1. Run Gflags.exe.
  2. In the UI, enter dwm.exe as the Image name.
  3. Check the boxes – Enable heap tail checking, Enable heap tagging, Create user mode stack trace database and Apply the settings.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Reproduce the scenario and let dwm.exe accumulate memory close to 2 GB.
  6. Right click on Desktop Windows Manager in the Task Manger and select “Create Dump File”"
0 Kudos
MrX1980
New Contributor I

Hi @Bryce_Intel ,
via Windows Update I got the driver version 30.0.100.9670 (driver date 09.06.2021) and today I could reach ~1GB dwm.exe then it drops back under 100 MB.

windgb.exe show me now:

0:000> !gflag
Current NtGlobalFlag contents: 0x00001810
htc - Enable heap tail checking
htg - Enable heap tagging
ust - Create user mode stack trace database

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14616400/gflags_dwm_Win10_21390_Intel_9670.zip.html

0 Kudos
NewDriversPlz
Beginner

Hi @Bryce_Intel ,

Here is a dump file following the instructions above as far as possible. Memory usage did not go up to 2GB, but kept hovering around 1GB. Laptop was pretty much unusable at the time, getting extremely low fps on a full screen video playing on one screen and very slow response on any actions performed on the laptop's screen.

To update to the latest Intel drivers:

For some reason however, both Device Manager and Intel Command Centre identify my Intel drivers as 27.20.100.8935. I don't have an executable for 27.20.100.8935 on my laptop and I'm unsure where this would come from. Any insights would be appreciated.

Setup: Lenovo thinkpad connected to HP screen though USB-C.

Intel GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Driver (according to Device Manager):  27.20.100.8935
Driver (which I apparently failed to install manually): 30.0.100.9667

Nvidia GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P520
Driver: 27.21.14.661

Dump file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtdqzk3vjjnpgq3/dwm_latestDrivers.7z?dl=0

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Hi @NewDriversPlz,

Sounds like the WU loop is getting ya. Windows Update checks your system if a WU driver has been installed (checking in the systems Driver Store) and if there's remnants of the driver, then it will not reinstall it. Uninstalling the driver essentially deletes all traces even from the Driver Store, so WU thinks it hasn't been installed yet, and then silently installs it.

So, with 8935 installed, just install 9667 over it. Don't uninstall first. Should work. If you have trouble installing, just use Have Disk to install it. Reboot, then check version again to verify.

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos
NewDriversPlz
Beginner

Hi @Bryce_Intel ,

Gotcha. I updated again but this time without uninstalling the drivers first. DWM is up to a happy 450 MB right after startup so let's see what today brings. I'll see if I can get a new dump file uploaded.

0 Kudos
NewDriversPlz
Beginner

Hi @Bryce_Intel ,

Here is a new dump file after today. Created the dump at ~1200 MB RAM on dwm.exe. I don't know if this is related but the GPU usage of dwm.exe is also very high. It typically hovers between 0 and, say, 5% on the onboard Intel GPU when no video is playing. When video is playing GPU use by dwm.exe shoots up to 50-100%.

Setup: Lenovo thinkpad connected to HP screen through USB-C.

Intel GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Driver:  30.0.100.9667

Nvidia GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P520
Driver: 27.21.14.6611

Dump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut3lrxj03dg0p4h/dwm_20210615.7z?dl=0

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Hey there, no update on your dump file yet. I just sent a reminder to the Dev, I'll check back again in a couple days.

0 Kudos
kimoto1973
Novice

Hi @Bryce_Intel 

First, sorry for my poor English.(From Japan)

When playing Full Screen (1920 * 1080) on Youtube(by Chrome), the dwm took 13GB of memory usage at 4 hours(Please refer to After4Hours.png).

It looks like increased by about 30MB per 30sec. It's almost linear.(Please refer to dwm_usage_per_30sec.xlsx) 

It can be reproduced, you come to see? 😂

Display Driver : Intel UHD Graphics  27.20.100.9126(Not 630)

And other info refer to the DxDiag.txt.

Put the dump file below with gflags. 

https://firestorage.com/download/a164d31d651f77e985345b8f921ea489bd67ed7f

CAUTION : The file size is too large(631MB) , unzipped it will be 13GB!!

I hope it will help you.

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Thanks @kimoto1973, I downloaded the dump and just submitted it to Dev. Let's see what their analysis shows.

SaladCesar
New Contributor I

Hi,

If you need more dumps, I would like to remind you that I already posted a folder containing 14 dumps from my PC, if it can help. But I don't think it has been downloaded. Here is the link :

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhNGmCtr4NeUpKAfbIiKziUjkcFBrA?e=xzZU3J

Thanks for your help !

Have a great day.

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Hi @SaladCesar,

Are these dumps all with GFlags enabled?

0 Kudos
HKlum
Valued Contributor I

And the stalling continues.

0 Kudos
Temsyze
Beginner

Hello,
I found a solution to this problem:
1. Open the "Power Management" settings";
2. Click " Advanced Power Settings";
3. Press " Power Button Actions";
4. Click " Change settings that are currently unavailable";
5. Uncheck " Enable fast startup (recommended);
6. Click " Save Changes";
7. Restart the computer.

0 Kudos
Ross2
Novice

Hi. I posted this workaround here on Jan 21, and it seems to have worked for a lot of people?

At the time, I hadn't seen my workaround posted anywhere else?

If it works, that's great, but a "proper" Intel fix will be very welcome!

0 Kudos
Temsyze
Beginner

Hi! Could you describe in more detail the "correct fix from intel", please:) I'd like to see if it works for me.

0 Kudos
Ross2
Novice

There is no "correct fix" from  Intel that I know of, but they say they're working on it 🙂

My workaround (not a fix) may work for some, and not for others? I have a Desktop, not a Laptop, and I've never tried it on a Laptop.

I know that testing any "fix" isn't easy, as it can work perfectly for days, then suddenly use Gb of memory?

All I can say, is that from my experience, since late January 2021 dwm.exe hasn't used more that about 78Mb of RAM, but I don't check it every day! Currently, it's using 76Mb, and my PC has been on and used almost constantly for about 12 hours today.

0 Kudos
Temsyze
Beginner

I also use a desktop PC. After disabling fast boot, I did not have any leaks, dwm.exe I did not consume more than 80 MB (I use the computer for about 8 hours a day).

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Sorry, that's not the solution. I have this feature disabled in my computer, and sometimes the memory leakage with dwm.exe still happens.

0 Kudos