Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Banding Issues - Intel Graphics 630

EHabo
Beginner

I am getting banding issues all over the system. All the banding disappears as soon as I uninstall the Intel Graphics drivers.

This issue makes it impossible for me to make simple graphics work in Photoshop.

Photo 1: Vertical lines banding

Photo 2: No banding

Photo 3: Banding in Photoshop

Site used for testing: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's a pretty old driver you are using. Your vendor cannot provide you with something a little newer? Unfortunately, there is not a lot that we can do when talking about a laptop with dual graphics. Often the drivers are modified by the vendor to support specific features of their hardware design and to support switching between which of the two graphics engines is active. Can we even say for sure that it is the Intel graphics engine that is active when the banding occurs? When you uninstall the Intel driver and switch to the Microsoft driver - which knows nothing about there being two graphics solutions - you lock the output to this driver and thus it tells us nothing. Regardless, the address of problems is going to be in the hands of your laptop vendor as they must deliver any updates if these drivers require modifications. You need to be talking to them.

...S

0 Kudos
EHabo
Beginner

That's the latest driver offered by Dell... I actually spoke to them on the phone today and they told me that they don't support components not manufactured by them (i.e Intel CPUs) and I should contact Intel support. The reason I think the Intel drivers are the issue is because I completely uninstalled the nvidia graphics first and the banding was still there. It's only when I uninstall the Intel ones that the banding disappears. Also for my kind of laptop (gaming), the Intel GPU is reserved for all tasks except gaming, intensive graphic work or when using hdmi out. The Intel GPU is more than capable of handling normal usage. Also, I can actually see when the nvidia gpu is in use and it's turned off almost all the time except for the situations above. It's also turned off when I was testing the banding.

I am writing here in case there is a a reset command or some tweak I can try to fix this issue. Thanks for the help!

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you ask them whether they modified the driver? If they did, then they own delivering a fix for your issue (whether they like it or not). This may be fixed by the myriad of driver updates that have subsequently appeared, but, if they've modified the driver, you can't use these updates (well, not without breaking something else).

...S

0 Kudos