Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Blank screen when resuming from connected standby

SXu12
Beginner

I am experiencing blank screen issue on all driver versions after 10.18.15.4279. Many Helix 2 user also report the same problem on Lenovo forum, but the issue has never been resolved in the newer versions. Version 4279 and before do not have this issue.

Below is the information:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When waking a computer from connected standby in windows 10, the screen is blank (power led is on), and then it seems the machine freezes. I have to hard reset the computer to reboot into desktop.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

sometimes, about 50%

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Thinkpad Helix 2nd gen tablet

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

HD Graphics 5300 only

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bottom-width: 1pt; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; b...
0 Kudos
34 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Nomendos,

I sent you a private message in regards to your case.

Mike C

0 Kudos
AGeme
Beginner

Hi,

what are the developments regarding this issue? I have still problems with my Helix 2 not waking up from Standby, even on the newest Windows 10 Version (Build 14393) and the latest Intel HD 5300 drivers (directly from Intel 15.40.28.4501 or from Lenovo 20.19.15.4444). In almost every case once the screen turned black for a standby session (waiting for the set timeout, closing the lid or pressing the button), the screen won't turn back on afterwards.

The only solution I got so far is following Nomendos path with the old driver version. I downloaded the driver 15.40.7.4279 from Intel (the .zip archive, not the .exe file) and manually installed it by directly pointing to the .inf file. Seems like this is a way to avoid the driver check by Microsoft because a try with the .exe file failed before.

Possibly Windows will overwrite this driver version with a newer one in a future update but this can be blocked too, somehow. I will deal with this when the problem occurs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oxtailsoup,

I suggest you goforce's troubleshooting on post 12. Your PC manufacturer is in charge to customize the graphics driver.

Mike C

0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

Update to the black screen issue:

Well... though I don't know the cause of the issue, I finally found that the blank screen was somehow correlated to Chromium or maybe some other softwares. The reason that I no longer encountered issues previously was simply because I started to use Edge instead of Chrome. My observation is that if you leave Chrome open and let machine enter sleep, it is very likely that the machine has blank screen issue when resuming from sleep. The same thing happens if you leave Chromium browsers (e.g. Opera), or a video player open and enter sleep then. All UWP-based software do not have this issue though, which makes me wondering if it has something to do with the HW acceleration of these non-UWP software (since both Chromium and video player will use GPU somehow). My friend who has Surface Pro 4 is also encountering the same issue, so I think it might not even be a vendor specific issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello goforce,

Thank you for your latest reply.

I do apologize for any inconvenience that this situation may cause. I will continue with the research in order to assist you and as soon as I have further details I will reply back.

Regards,

Angie.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

To: goforce

I would like to confirm if your concern in regard to Solution or next step Blank screen when resuming from connected standby still persists? or if this concern has been solve?

Do not hesitate to reply back.

To: Nomendos and Oxtailsoup

If the both of you have tried the steps that were previously provided and if the issue persist, or if you are facing any other issue please help us to provided you a better assistance and open a new forum, so then we can focus on your concern and I or any of my partners can give you specific assistance based on your request.

Regards,

Angie.

0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

The issue persists with the newest graphics driver and operating system (windows 10 14393). I am wondering if there is any more that I can provide to help you debug the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello goforce,

In regard to your concern, I would like yo to please try with this new latest driver from Lenovo:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Helix-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-Helix-Type-20CG-20CH/downloads/DS103422 Lenovo Graphic Driver 20.19.15.450x

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have this same issue and just gave this driver a try and still had no improvement to the issue. Reverted back to the old driver and problem is gone. Would love to see a solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello goforce,

I would like to know if the information that I have provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie.

0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

Same old issue with the newest version observed (ver4531). I can reproduce it with high probability using a fresh install of windows 10, dock the helix 2 (with ultrabook pro keyboard), open a chrome webpage, and let it sleep. As I said before, chrome might be a culprit, although the keyboard dock might also be the cause.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello goforce,

As per your first confirmation, your device uses our Intel driver graphics only.

At this moment as a last attempt in order to try to find a solution to your concern, I would like you to please try to complete a manual install of the latest driver for Intel® HD Graphics 5300:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005474.html How to Manually Install a Graphics Driver in Windows 7*

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html inhttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

Latest graphic driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26347/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=84188 Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40] (Version: Beta 15.40.xx.4539 (Latest) Date: 10/20/2016)

Please proceed with the installation and do not hesitate to let me know the results.

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

I've disabled the driver signature enforcement and installed the beta driver you provided. I didn't experienced the blank screen for now but will continue to observe the situation. One problem I noticed is that during one resuming from standby, originally the screen was blank, but I managed to get it lit by pushing the power button several times. The driver lost DPI scaling (reset to 100% even it is set to 125%) after the screen is successfully resumed though. The previous versions of the drivers also have this DPI issue occasionally.

BTW, I let the computer sleep with Chrome open, and observed this issue. People reported similar observations in Lenovo's forum, which state that browsers (firefox/chrome that use GPU acceleration) or vmware (which somewhat utilize gpu) will trigger this issue if the computer goes to sleep with these software opened.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi goforce,

Good to know that your concern seems to be solved.

Also, as you have mentioned some recommendations through the Lenovo's forum. Please try with any advice that you might have found useful.

If after all the steps the issue still persists, please contact Lenovo Support for further assistance, and confirm if there is any Lenovo driver available that will solve your matter or for another additional solution.

Here it is their contact for Technical Support:

http://support.lenovo.com/cr/en?menu-id=technical_support Lenovo Technical Support

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos