Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Cannot connect EPSON EB-1965 projector to HD 630

ARout1
Beginner

I have just set up a brand new Acer Aspire TC 780 PC with Windows 10 (all updates - which took some time!), updated the display drivers and I have tried to connect to a monitor and an Epson projector. I am using HDMI to VGA converter cables and I cannot get the projector recognised.

I think the issue is related to screen resolution since there is a brief message on the projector to that effect before the display blanks.

When I try to connect both, only the monitor works although strangely the monitor seems to be only a part of the display, if I open a program, the window is in the task bar but cannot be seen.

If I only connect the monitor, the display works without problem.

Can anyone offer any advice - it seems to me to be a simple request to project from the graphics card (think PowerPoint etc), but I have had no luck at all.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AlanRoutledge,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with an Epson* EB-1965 connected to a computer with an Intel® HD Graphics 630 controller.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:
  1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).
Please follow the instructions below as well (it is very important that the projector is connected and turned on at this point):
  1. Right click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties.
  2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center.
  3. Click on Save (save it in your desktop).
Please attach to this thread the files so I can take a look. To attach the files, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
ARout1
Beginner

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for your help.

I have managed to run DXDIag - the text file is attached.

I have also attached two images of the main screen, one when it is the only screen attached (you can see it is "normal" and the other when the projector is attached (see how it does not show all the screen - and one cannot really operate the PC when the screen is like this - I had to guess to run DXDiag since the application window is not visible!).

I hope this is useful.

I just realised I Have not done the other diagnostic step, I will return and get that done later.

Thanks,

Alan

0 Kudos
ARout1
Beginner

Xavier,

OK, well I could not run the second diagnostic with both screens connected since when I open the properties, it opens but not on the visible screen (and I could not force it to be visible).

I have attached what I managed to get from a couple of attempts, I am pretty sure they will be identical, please take a look. If you have any suggestions for getting this to run under these conditions, I would be pleased to try!

Regards,

Alan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlanRoutledge,

Thank you for the information provided. You mentioned that you are using an HDMI® to VGA converter cable. Please bear in mind that Intel® does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. We can recommend you to update your graphics driver, that in some cases will fix the problem.

In the case of the driver, I can see that there is available a more recent version than the one in your system, so I would suggest updating the driver to this version. I think it is best to uninstall and delete the current driver in the system, and the perform a manual installation of the latest driver.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver:
  1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27266/a08/win64_15600.4849.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
ARout1
Beginner

Xavier,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I understand the point about the adaptors, but this PC is to replace one that was driving two VGA screens, I was not aware that the two graphics ports are HDMI. Having said that, the adaptors clearly are doing their work so I hope this CAN work.

I have just played with the windows keyboard and have managed to get the information for you from when two screens were attached (even although the screen is almost impossible to manage). These are attached - I tried twice because it was not easy to see what was going on! I hope these help.

It will need to be tomorrow when I try to change the drivers (it is already 7.30pm here) and I will follow your instructions. However I am getting to the pint when I think a different graphics system might save me a great deal of trouble 😞

Thanks again,

Alan

0 Kudos
ARout1
Beginner

Xavier,

I have done the upgrade to the latest drivers as per your instructions, but it seems to have made no improvement.

What I do not understand is why a single monitor is fine (and the full screen usable) but when I connect the projector, not only does that not work, but it disturbs the original monitor view.

I managed to save all the information as before in case this helps - the file is attached. Is there anything we can try now do you think?

Regards,

Alan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlanRoutledge,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. The driver update should help with the compatibility in your system. However, if the projector is still not working as expected, it is very likely that the adapter is not fully supported by the system.

At this point, my best suggestion would be to use an active HDMI® to VGA adapter to connect the projector to the computer. This might provide with a better connection between the two devices.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlanRoutledge,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
ARout1
Beginner

Hi Xavier,

Thank you for keeping in touch. I have done everything I can to no avail. I have searched around and there seem to be many people who are experiencing difficulties with this graphics system and more than one screen.

Given also that I HAVE to use a VGA interface for the projector (I am trying to replace a PC in a Church installation) I think the only way is to give up and perhaps install a dedicated graphics card to handle this requirement - disappointing as that may be. I am afraid it is just taking up too much of my time.

Thanks anyway for your attempts to help.

Regards,

Alan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlanRoutledge,

You are welcome. I am sorry to see that issue was not fixed with our suggestions. To be honest, it is very likely that this is happening because the adapter is not supported by the Intel® HD Graphics controller.

I understand when you mention that this taking too much of your time. And additional suggestion I could give you is to install the graphics driver provided by the computer manufacturer and test the projector.

I do apologize for the inconvenience again. I hope that you can find the solution for this situation.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos