Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Cannot disable Contrast Enhancement

MOlse
Beginner

I have noticed an issue with the Contrast Enhancement setting in Intel graphics drivers. Upon each PC restart, the setting gets reset to its default setting (Contrast Enhancement enabled, set to level 5) and therefore Contrast Enhancement cannot be (permanently) disabled. This appears to be a new issue because I hadn't noticed it before. I've tried rolling back to three older versions of Intel graphics drivers, but the behavior was the same.

Please check out this apparent bug.

0 Kudos
41 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What version and build of W10 are you using?

What is your processor model number?

Are you a laptop or desktop?

Doc

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

I'm using Windows 10 version 1809, build 17763.437 on a laptop with Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor (that is, Intel HD 630 graphics). I see that there was a similar thread/bug report open here on the forum, but it was only partially fixed. The problem of not being able to disable contrast enhancement still remains.

0 Kudos
vjdato21
Novice

It happens to be that the issue will still persist if you're using Intel® Graphics Control Panel, try using their new Intel® Graphics Command Center. That might fix the issue, because after I did that and after some app updates, the issue is gone.

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, I'm using the Intel Graphics Command Center and the issue is there.

0 Kudos
vjdato21
Novice

Well, this is unfortunate. Did you remove the old Intel Graphics Control Panel?

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MOlse, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter. 3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 4. Attach the report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello, please find attached the requested report file.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOlse, I'd like to know if you can provide us the information requested in order to further assist you. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOIse, Thank you for the information provided. Please allow us some time to investigate the behavior you're experiencing. I'll be posting back with the outcome. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOlse, Thank you for your time! After checking the system report, I can see you're running Windows* 1903 (Windows* Insider version), so, please report this issue to Microsoft* Insider, in order for them to take the feedback and possibly fix the issue you're experiencing. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello oscar.alaniz,

Thank you for your reply. Actually, the first time I noticed this issue, I was running the latest "stable" (non-Insider) version of Windows 10 (version 1809). One of the reasons I upgraded to version 1903 was to see whether it would solve this issue. So I can tell you that the issue isn't caused by the latest Insider Windows version.

Also, please see this older thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004H5VtoSAF/contrast-enhancement-cannot-be-disabled. In that thread, a user also describes the same issue as what I have noticed, and they are also running Windows 10 version 1809 (i.e. not an Insider version).

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOlse, Thank you for the updates. According to the thread that you sent, it is a known issue that we're currently working on. I'll continue investigating and will post back with the outcome. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOlse, Please provide the following information in order for us to replicate the issue: 1. Download and run the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* and attach the results. Here's the download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the ".txt" file with the test results. (Running Windows* 10 1809) Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA_Intel, please find attached the requested report files. I've compressed the two reports in a zip file, since you can only attach a single file to a post here on the forum as far as I can see.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOlse, Thank you for the information provided. I will go ahead and try to replicate the issue and will posting back with the outcome. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you for your time.

I'd like to inform you that we were able to test a system with the Intel® HD Graphics 620, which uses the same driver that the one you have.

We did not experience the issue you're having. I was able to disable the Contrast enhancement option and after restarting the system, the option remained disabled using the Intel® Graphics Command Center.

I installed the latest driver version: 26.20.100.6861

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28783/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=98909

Please let me know if you still have the same issue with the driver that I installed.

Hope this helps!

Oscar A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA,

Thank you for the response. I tried upgrading to that latest driver that you linked, but unfortunately, the issue is still there. Actually, I noticed another strange thing. Even though the contrast enhancement toggle remains disabled in the Intel Command Center after a reboot, the enhancements still get applied, which you can notice if you play a video, for example. When you switch to the default profile in the Command Center, and then back to a custom profile (which has all enhancements disabled), you will notice a big difference in how video playback looks. It's only when you manually make that profile switch back and forth that videos look as they should with the enhancements disabled. And you would have to do that manually after each reboot.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOlse, Thank you for the information. I think the reason why you're still having the same issue is because it could be just a hardware limitation by the system manufacturer, Lenovo*. Since they customize they're hardware and drivers to properly work on their systems, they're also able to set up some limitations. I'd highly recommend you to contact them and provide the feedback and check if they can release a fix on that feature. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos