Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Cannot enable HDR on Intel HD Graphics 630

MOlse
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop with an Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor, which has Intel HD Graphics 630. I would like to enable streaming of HDR videos, apps, and games to my Philips 328P6VU HDR monitor.

I read Intel's whitepaper on HDR on Intel Graphics and, as I understand, it should be possible to get HDR with Intel HD 630 via a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 LSPCON (active adapter). So I bought the Club3D CAC-2504 LSPCON and tried using it to connect my laptop to the monitor and enable HDR in Windows.

However, when I connect the display to the laptop, this is what I get in "Windows HD Color settings":

Annotation 2019-08-24 172218.png

So, as can be seen, I cannot enable "Stream HDR video". Furthermore, if I toggle the "Play HDR games and apps" option, the monitor goes black, there is no image on the laptop as well, the fans on the laptop start spinning fast and I basically have to force shutdown the laptop via the power button to recover from the situation.

So, what am I missing? What version of DisplayPort (via USB-C Alternate Mode) does Intel HD 630 support? I believe I have all the requirements mentioned in the HDR whitepaper, yet I'm still not able to get HDR. I'm using the very latest Intel graphics driver, I have the latest Management Engine Components installed. I even went as far as to upgrade from Windows 10 1903 (10.0.18362.295) to the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview version, thinking that might fix the problem. But, unfortunately, the situation is exactly the same.

Please find attached to this post the dxdiag output as well as the Diagnostics Report generated by Intel Graphics Command Center.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You MUST use both the Intel graphics driver and nvidia graphics driver provided by Lenovo.

And, you need to contact Lenovo for support of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Yeah, I also tried using the drivers released by Lenovo, but the situation was even worse with those. And they're ancient.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Since you have dual graphics, you must use the drivers from lenovo. You need to contact lenovo for support, as they are solely responsible for support of your laptop.

Also, what version of Windows 10 are you running? 1903?

Doc

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Well, as I said, I tried using those as well, but the situation was even worse. The graphics drivers released by Intel and NVIDIA support dual graphics just fine, so that shouldn't be an issue. BTW, getting HDR has nothing to do with dual graphics, as only the iGPU is used for basically everything by default anyway, and the other graphics chip is turned off most of the time. So for all intents and purposes it's as if I only have the integrated GPU anyway.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

For the proper switching between the drivers, lenovo has modified/customized the drivers.

Lenovo provides support for your laptop. They are the integrator, and your warranty and support come from Lenovo.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you enabled HDR support in the TV itself? I spent more time in the OSD for my Samsung TV trying to enable it than I did on anything else.

The processor supports three output streams. These streams can be configured to support DisplayPort 1.2, Embedded DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 1.4b. Only DisplayPort 1.2 supports 4K with HDR.

...S

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Yes, I have. I also tried disabling it to see if anything would change, but nothing did.

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

I have an update to share regarding this issue: I just went to an electronics store and tried connecting my laptop to a 4K HDR TV using the same cable and adapter, and everything worked! I got 4K HDR, 10-bit signal to the TV, no problem. So, is this then purely an issue with the monitor or is there a chance this gets fixed by new graphics drivers or something? I don't know if the same issue would appear with other 4K HDR *monitors*, or whether this affects just the Philips.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Could this be a compatibility issue specific to your monitor? I would have to say No by default. You would need to test with another instance of this particular monitor to see if that is the case. Whether it is an issue that might be addressed in a future update to the driver is not something that can be answered without (also) knowing whether it is a common problem.

...S

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Yeah, the question is whether this issue affects other brands/models of monitors when they are connected in this way to a laptop (which shouldn't be an issue because Intel officially supports this way of connecting).

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

I just did some more research and apparently HDR at 10-bits is not really possible with a bandwidth of 18Gbps (which is all that HDMI 2.0, 2.0a and 2.0b support) without the use of chroma subsampling. Maybe that is the reason why I'm getting a black screen on my monitor, maybe the graphics driver doesn't automatically turn on chroma subsampling like it does with a TV (that's what I found also). So is there a way to manually turn on chroma subsampling with Intel HD 630 graphics? Maybe like create a custom resolution or something? But I don't see that option when creating custom resolutions in Intel Graphics Command Center...

Anyway, it seems to me this issue that I'm having has something to do with the "handshaking" process between the graphics card and the monitor itself, which maybe works differently than with a TV.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you for all the information provided, 

After checking the files provided and reading all the recommendations provided I end up with the following conclusion. There are a few problems and each of them can be the root of the issue:

1- You are using Windows 10 insider along with a beta version of the graphics driver (probably provided thru windows update) and when running a non-official released of Windows build, systems are prone to instability, which may cause Windows* to stop responding while running applications or performing a specific task. Any issues or bugs with the insider build have to be reported to Microsoft® so they can work in a fix.  

2- You have hybrid graphics setup and the output could be thru the NVIDIA® card instead of the Intel® graphics card, you will have to double-check this information with your OEM. 

3- You are using a USB-C active adapter to HDMI, which should not be a problem but, currently the issue looks to be a bandwidth/handshake of the laptop and the display and the adapter could be causing or affecting.

Hope you find this helpful.

Esteban Ch. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello EstebanCh_Intel,

Thank you for your response. Just to be clear:

1 - Yes, I am currently using an Insider version of Windows, but before I upgraded to that, I ran the latest stable (release) version, 1903 (10.0.18362.295), and things didn't work on that version, so I upgraded to the latest Insider version hoping that might somehow fix the issue (but it hasn't). I mention that in my first post.

2 - Yes, I have a hybrid graphics setup, as most laptops do, but the NVIDIA card only acts as a "3D accelerator" and all of the outputs on my laptop are wired to the iGPU, that is, the Intel HD Graphics 630 chip and iGPU is used by default for all tasks. I checked that with my OEM.

3 - The thing is that it's not a total handshake failure or anything, because I am able to get 4K 60Hz signal through the adapter to the monitor (in fact, right now I'm using it as such). But when I attempt to turn on HDR, the screen goes black and the laptop crashes. In the meantime, I've also ordered another adapter, USB-C to Displayport 1.4 (Club3D CAC-1557) and will try using that and check whether it works. Here's hoping it does somehow, but we shall see... I will report the outcome of that as well.

Kind regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you for your response,

At this point, we would like to let you know that our best recommendation for you is to get in contact with your laptop manufacturer so they can let you know which adapters have been tested and validated for the specific tasks you are trying to perform. I think is also worth mentioning that we have tested the 26.20.100.7000 along with a punch of HDR-capable TVs and have not had any problems so far.

We will close this inquiry; but, if you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Esteban Ch. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos