Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21079 Discussions

Cannot get higher than 1920x1080 with HD 630 and Dell Precision 3431

bobj99
Beginner

I am a long time IT Professional & I am pulling my hair out.  Need help please.

Ive been searching for weeks for answers, removing drivers, reinstalling drivers, changing cables, changing monitors - but I cant get a resolution higher than 1920x1080 under Windows 10.   Windows 7 was perfect.

Issue Description:

I have a quite new Dell Precision 3431 workstation running latest version Windows 10 all up to date with Windows updates and Dell BIOS / patches. Spec is as follows;

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9500 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GFX Driver Name: Intel® UHD Graphics 630
Shared RAM: 8 GB
Max Supported Displays: 3
GFX Vulcan: 1.2.187
GFX GOP: 9.0.1085

It is attached via Display port to a 4K BenQ EL2870U display
Connector Type: DisplayPort  

**I have tried 2 cables, both brand new, both work 4k res on other systems and with Windows 7**

I have removed, clean reinstalled all versions of drivers I can find including;

I think ive tried a v31 also.  Cant find the exact point version atm.

Ive also installed, reinstalled Intel Command Centre.

The attached command centre diagnositc log shows my resolution SHOULD go higher, but when I "list modes" any resolution higher than 1920x1080 is not listed.  See screen shot.

Any help please?  Dell wont help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello bobj99,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• If possible, provide a screenshot showing the resolution options in Intel® Graphics Command Center.
  • The graphics report shows the current resolution is 1920x1080, are you trying to set it with a specific refresh rate?

As well, please try installing the latest driver 31.0.101.3222/31.0.101.2111 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html 

Please let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
bobj99
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.  This really is an odd one.  Forgot to mention this is a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, no apps, nothing installed yet apart from Intel stuff, patches etc.

OK, I updated the drivers, again, using the "clean install" option to latest version 31.0.101.2111 from your link.  Screenshot attached from GCC.  No change.

Ive also attached an updated diagnostic report from GCC, again showing that 4k res is supposed to be supported and achievable, but these modes are not listed or available under "list modes" from the Windows advanced graphic options or inside GCC.  Again, screenshots attached of everything.

The higher resolutions are also NOT visible inside of GCC - again screen shot to show - even though they are listed in the GCC system diag report.

I have tried all different refresh rates available inside GCC and it makes no difference.  I am stuck at 1920x1080.

Finally, and for fun, Ive found a typo in the Intel Graphics installer...  One of the fun facts shows "The clean room of an Intel FAB".   Asuumed this should say "LAB"   :0)

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

I am going to work on this case. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Also, FAB refers to Fabrication Plant (semiconductors), FAB is basically all related to manufacturing processes.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
bobj99
Beginner

Aha, thanks Steven G, FAB eh?  You learn something every day…

As I said, I'm an IT Pro so have spent a really long time on this issue.  I really don’t know where to go to troubleshoot from here. 

It must be a Windows issue I'm guessing, having tried so many driver versions from you and from Dell, but I really don’t know how else to troubleshoot.  All event logs are clean, it’s a brand new Win 10 install.   Also a Linux Live boot works fine, so I know its definitely, definitely not the hardware.  I dont really want to spend another 6 hours reinstalling / patching Windows 10 again if I can avoid it.

Just really weird the Intel logs show all the correct resolutions available, but Windows "list modes" isnt showing them.   Ive even tried removing, reinstalling the BENQ display drivers, choosing generic ones without success. 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We are still working on this issue. For documentation purposes, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
bobj99
Beginner

Hi Steven G,

Thanks for your continued help with this.

Just as an update, I removed all Windows 10 updates, feature packs etc. then reinstalled the graphics drivers - all available versions - 1 at a time - but it made no difference. Higer resolutions arent listed in "list modes".

After updating Windows again, updating to the latest Intel graphics driver v31 using clean install option and running it, I attach the SSU output file as requested.

After a quick scan through, just 1 thing jumps out - line 25 shows

"Display"  Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"30.0.100.9864"

..but the driver installed is definitely  v31.0.101.2111 - as shown further down in the log, line 41 and elsewhere, and is also shown in the Windows driver gui and Intel GCC.   Red herring or not, just thought id point it out.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for the update and information provided.

I am going to work on this case. As soon as I have an update on this, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello bobj99,

It seems there is something else causing this issue, especially since the issue started after the Windows update.

Could you please check if by changing the settings directly from the display works? Based on the display manual, there is an option here https://esupportdownload.benq.com/esupport/LCD%20MONITOR/UserManual/EL2870U/UM_EN_210210082801.pdf

You could try changing the aspect ratio and see if it makes a difference as well, for example, 21:9.

Please let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
bobj99
Beginner

Hi, this was a brand new fresh install of Windows 10 pro.  The issue occurs before and after patching all available Windows updates.

I have tried all aspect ratios, I have used the "factory reset" option on the Benq monitor itself, I have been through all of the available options on the Benq monitor - on/off/disabled - absolutely every single setting which can be toggled has been.

I hate to say it but im giving up and just moving to Linux.  Its taken way too much time and effort.   Having run a search on this community there are thousands of issues with this HD 630 graphics option.  Dell have been 0 use either.

This is clearly a Windows / Driver integration issue.   Your software shows the max resolution IS available, but Windows wont display it / let you choose it from "list modes".   Huge clue there.

Thanks for your help, but im done with Dell, Intel integrated cards in future.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

I am sorry to hear you are still having these issues, and we understand you have decided to move to Linux. We would need to further investigate about this in order to get to a resolution, as for now, we will proceed to close this thread.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos