Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Cannot overclock refresh rate on Intel HD 630

VKaše
Beginner

So lately I've bought a 144hz monitor which works perfectly fine, but the moment I connected it through my laptop it's capping at 120hz, due to limiations of HD 630 iGPU.

My laptop is Lenovo Legion Y520 and has GTX 1050 inside as a secondary GPU for games.

Now I wouldn't mind my desktop being 120hz, but the problem lies that every game I play it draws the HZ settings from the desktop, which means that my games use nvidia 1050, but draw HZ limitations from the desktop (120hz), which is super annoying.

I've tried overriding the HD630 in BIOS but only have one option and it doesn't do anything except disabling HD 630 and implementing another generic driver from the motherboard.

I've been reading that you can override HD 630 by using EDID function and using older drivers which can actually increase your HZ as you will.

I've installed some older drivers for this iGPU but I still can't increase HZ in custom resolution section, it says ''Custom resolution exceeds maximum bandwith''.

I'm not sure what else can I do, I've been struggling for days with this.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
VKaše
Beginner

Bump, anyone?

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello VKaše Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Are you using the display connected to both laptop and desktop? • At what resolution do you have the external monitor working on the laptop? • What is the resolution that you are trying to set as custom resolution? • What kind of video cable are you using on the environment? • Are you using the HDMI® or the MiniDP on the laptop? • In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. • Please provide me with the graphics report following these steps 1. Right click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties. 2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center. 3. Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 4. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VKaše
Beginner

• Are you using the display connected to both laptop and desktop? 

When I'm using the monitor I usually close the lid of the laptop and then only use the monitor, aka display 2 (display 1 would be the laptop)

• At what resolution do you have the external monitor working on the laptop? 

1920x1080, that's the highest it can go (which is normal, since that's the native resolution of the monitor)

• What is the resolution that you are trying to set as custom resolution? 

I'm trying to set the same resolution I have, but I'm trying to get 144hz instead of 120hz

• What kind of video cable are you using on the environment? 

Video cable as in HDMI? I'm not sure about this question

• Are you using the HDMI® or the MiniDP on the laptop?

HDMI, that's the only thing I have, except USB-C

Here's the TXT file you've requested as well as Intel iGPU information. If that's not enough, I'm using GTX 1050 as well.

0 Kudos
VKaše
Beginner

Forgot to add this one, sorry!

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello VKaše Thank you for the information Bear in mind that the HDMI® output that the Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ Processor can have is 4096x2304@30Hz based on the product specifications (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97456/intel-core-i5-7300hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html), this supported resolution means that the to total bandwidth of 8.49 Gbps if the setting that you want exceeds that bandwidth you would not be able to select this refresh rate. Nevertheless, since your system is a laptop it is important to confirm with Lenovo if the HDMI® port on the laptop has a converter on the motherboard design to DP for example. In relation to the EDID modification, this has to be handled with the display manufacturer for a possible firmware update. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VKaše
Beginner

So unless I don't have that converter in my motherboard there's nothing I can do? I've seen users on many different forums downloading older drivers from intel IGPU's and ignoring the Custom Resolution ''Bandwidth exceeded'' error message to trick the iGPU to get more refresh rate.

Is this possible at all or am I stuck on 120hz max?

The problem lies that all of my games load 120hz even if I have GTX 1050 recognized inside the games!

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello VKaše At this point, yes, it seems like the limit is 120Hz however as motioned previously you should talk to the Laptop OEM just to confirm, since that is a design limitation, also it seems to handle hybrid graphics. Lenovo support: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VKaše
Beginner

Okay, thank you for all the help and have a nice day!

0 Kudos