Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

Clone display in Windows 10 with Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia

SRisa
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 (CPU: i7-3740QM). The Thinkpad also has an additonal GPU installed on the motherboard - Quadro K1000M.

It seems to be impossible to connect an external VGA monitor and get the Win10 screen duplicated/cloned on both the internal Thinkpad display and the external VGA monitor. Extended view is OK - but not duplicate/clone mode - which I need for all my Powerpoint presentations on projector.

Nvidias drivers release notes says:

Cross-adapter Clone Mode

Clone mode across graphics processors is handled by the Windows 10 OS and not by the NVIDIA driver. Consequently, there are no controls for cross-adapter clone mode in the NVIDIA Control Panel under Windows 10.

Optimus Systems

As cross-adapter clone mode is handled by the Windows 10 OS, there are no display controls in the NVIDIA Control Panel if no display is connected to the NVIDIA GPU.

The only way I am able to clone my screen to a VGA monitor, is if I uninstall (and also deletes) all Intel HD Graphics drivers in device manager for my Intel HD Graphics 4000. The device manager then shows:

The issue then is that I get very poor performance when using the Thinkpad without the external monitor/projector - because it then uses the Microsoft driver for the screen.

Clearly it must be possible to fix this issue somehow in the drivers?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, ziggy99:

Could you please let us know the Intel driver version that you have installed?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SRisa
Beginner

This issue is with all version of drivers I have tried. The issue has been present from Windows 8 an onwards.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Try to uninstall the NVIDIA graphics driver and the Intel® HD Graphics driver then install them from the following links; http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96385/en-us NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro Desktop/Notebook Driver Release Windows 10 R352 WHQL, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25313/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-3rd-Gen-BYT- Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 7*, 8.1*, 10 (3rd Gen & BYT).

Regards,

0 Kudos
SRisa
Beginner

I have tried all driver combinations and installations.

Can you confirm that this should work fine in Windows 10? Have Intel tested this?

Based on many posts on the Internet, there are huge issues with this. Most users have been forced to disable the Intel graphics completely, but that is not an option in my case.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I ran some tests based on your case and everything worked OK, I was able to clone, extend and duplicate without any issues.

0 Kudos
GKant3
Beginner

As you pointed out, Nvidia has unfortunately got rid of the "clone with..." control which enabled us to enable duplicate display manually while projecting. The only ways I have discovered of enabling this function are:

a) Disable Optimus in the BIOS and set "Discrete Graphics" only (also disable OS Optimus detection, otherwise the BIOS will just switch Optimus back on when it detects Windows). This option runs the W520 (or later) with only the Nvidia card. Windows is then able to enable the Duplicate display mode with the Win-P keyboard combination. This used to work before the Anniversary update, and I would reboot the computer, go into the BIOS and enable Discrete graphics just prior to any session where I needed to project in Duplicate or Clone mode. However, with the Anniversary update, setting Discrete graphics only in the BIOS causes my machine to freeze up during the loading phase of Windows, or else just after Windows has opened. The freeze is total, and the only way to get out of it is a battery pull or long-press of off switch.

b) The second method is to leave Optimus enabled in the BIOS, but to go into the Device Manager, right-click the Intel(R) HD Graphics entry under Display adapters, and select "Disable". You get a warning, but Windows then automatically switches to using the Quadro 1000M card. You can then enable Duplicate display using the Win-P combination. When you've finished projecting, re-enable the Intel graphics, and if you want, disable the Quadro card (to save battery) using the same interface (Device Manager). I don't know how "disabled" the Quadro card is in this mode -- it may still be powered up and consuming a small amount of extra battery. My laptop doesn't feel as cool with this setting as it does when I disable the card entirely in the BIOS. But your results may vary.

Ah, while you're in the Device manager, it's worth right-clicking the Quadro card (while enabled) and requesting an Update from Microsoft, as there is a new driver dated August 2016, but it seems to download only via this interface. The driver does not, unfortunately, fix the "freezing" problem I have when enabling Discrete graphics in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

GeoffreyK thank you for your input.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos