Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Completely Unable To Install Dated Intel HD Graphics 4600 Drivers

BLoh
Beginner

I've spent a good 6 hours trying to get a my corrupted graphics driver fixed on my Windows 7 machine. What happened was that my main machine stopped working, so I moved the hard disk to an older back up, both are Windows 7. Since I'm familiar with the driver installation process, I've carried out the manual driver installation dozens of times, uninstalling, reinstalling, using 3 third party driver installation helper software from different companies, and multiple driver versions from 2015 to 2018, all to no avail.

I've tried to find help but the only discussed topics on the web run users through the same rudimentary manual driver installation process. Here's what it looks like typically, the on board graphics being shown as a typical ambiguous device:

And then when I try to install any version of driver:

This is what happens when I uninstall it prior to installing a driver. If I restart my machine and just update the driver, it tells me the driver was successfully updated, but when I scan for hardware changes on device manager, there's no change, it remains labeled as a video controller. On a separate note, the hard disk is low on memory, is there a minimum memory space requirement for driver installation? But if memory is not the issue, does anyone know what I should do? I know it's an archaic device, but still.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello presentface,

Thank you for posting.

Can you please let me know your computer model and processor model?

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
BLoh
Beginner

Oh, my mistake, that was crucial information I should have supplied. It's an i7-4700MQ, but I guess the image would be able to provide better detail on the machine components. The model itself is a Clevo W230ST laptop, though refurbished once with a replacement motherboard, so the parts are a little bit chimeric and differ from the production models.

Prior to the hard disk being placed into this machine, it was running for some months on a Clevo P641RE laptop, using an Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz machine, with it's associated drivers installed and running. Some common names for Clevo resellers with equivalent hardware are: Sager, Metabox, Schenker, Eluktroniks, and there are quite a few more. The old machine is not functional and I cannot get device manager specs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

presentface: Thank you very much for that information.

Based on the picture, I can see that you are using an Nvidia card, the only time that the OEM (Original equipment Manufacturer) actually needs to modify the driver is if it is a laptop includes two graphics solutions (i.e. the embedded Intel HD Graphics subsystem and an NVIDIA or AMD HD Graphics subsystem). In this case, the Intel HD Graphics solution is used for some capabilities (like DRM) and the NVIDIA/AMD solution is used for others. Since the two solutions cannot operate at the same time (because of common register addresses, etc.), the two drivers must be modified to support the capability for switching from one solution to the other, that is why we recommend is to install the graphics drivers provided by the manufacturer of the laptop, since those drivers were customized to work with your specific platform.

I looked for the graphics drivers for Clevo W230ST on their web site, but the drivers showing are for Windows® 8 or 8.1:

https://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/download/ftpOut.asp?Lmodel=W230ST&ltype=2&submit=+GO+

You mentioned you tested different graphics driver versions, since the processor works with HD graphics 4600 we can always try to install the Intel generic driver version 15.40.41.5058:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28163/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81496

Another option to try will be to get in contact with Clevo directly since they might have more drivers versions available:

https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_contact.asp?lang=en

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/145435 presentface,

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Amy C

0 Kudos