Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Custom resolution for Windows 8 with GMA 3150

idata
Employee

Hello all!! I have a 11.1 tablet PC with Windows 8 installed, it works with 1024x600 as native resolution, but for open Windows 8 Metro-style apps I need at least a resolution of 768 pixels.

I've tryed overscaning, but the image turns blur and stretched, and I tryed this method without sucess, because I can't see the custom resolutions (neither in 'list all modes'):

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/custom-resolutions-on-intel-graphics/ http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/custom-resolutions-on-intel-graphics/

How can I set a custom resolution, for example, 1280x768, how can I do it?

Trgards and thanks in advance

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi there!

Please bear in mind that your operating system release is a Beta version as testing and optimizations are ongoing and your system may have unintended effects. Intel will provide support until the production operating system is released.

Thanks

Allan.

idata
Employee

Hello!

I have same problem as the previous speaker.

My machine is HP Mini 210-2000ew with intel graphics media accelerator 3150 on 10.1 LCD screen

and i run win 8 my resolution is to low to use win apps and it's annoying.

What more i can say...WE ALL WITH THIS PROBLEM DONT WANT TO WAIT UNTIL WIN 8 WILL BE OFFICIAL IN STORES (2013) AND THEN INTEL WILL MADE SOME FIXES!!!!!

BTW we are users of INTEL products we just want some info from You nohing more...

I have search web and find some ways to change this graphic resolution, but Allan pls be so kind and tel us how to do that manualy(in profesional way :D). i known that there is a posibility to do that.

pls be so kind and give an replay as soon as possible.

With regards from Poland

Yours sincerely

Smalo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello again, Windows 8 is released (MSDN), it isn't a beta. When will we have Windows 8 driver for 3150?

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel Intel, a big company like yours that does not provide drivers for chipset 3150 for windows 8 beyond 1024x600. Make more of an effort and I'll be grateful. Expect a fast solution.

Greetings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello allan_intel, Windows 8 is in the air, when will the customers have support for GMA 3150?

I would appreciate some kind of answer.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I solved by changing a parameter in regedit and I raised my resolution.

In regedit search:

Display1_DownScalngSupported

and change valor 0 to 1 for all entries found. Restart. Now you can increase the resolution.

Sorry, I used google translator. I'm Italian.

Bye bye

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Andrea, that workaround works for use Metro apps with this GMA, but stretches the screen, the best solution is a driver for W8 that allows run metro apps without downscaling. But it's Intel engineers work.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Intel staff, do you have any news about this issue? at least a beta driver...

Regards,

Alfonso.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I believe there are thousands of Intel's costumers that are going to face this problem in the future once they begin to upgrade their operative systems to the new Windows 8. Intel provides GMA 3150 as a graphic solution for Intel Atom powered netbooks and entry level PCs. Microsoft Windows 8 is an operative system that attempts to unify the Windows experience and compatibility across many hardware platforms, particularly in mobile devices. I believe that Intel should provide full support for the GMA 3150 to run Windows 8 with its full set of features. The "old" Windows 7 driver and the WDDM driver that are being used right now by costumers that have GMA 3150 powered devices offer Windows Aero capabilities as in previous Windows versions and a native resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels. Microsoft has determined that the minimum required resolution for running Windows 8 apps (which is one of the biggest feature) is set to 1024 x 768 pixels. I'm hoping Intel will provide at least an statement about what is the future of this hardware regarding full Windows 8 compatibility and functionality as it's released in less than 3 months and the Release Preview that has been available for a while now has shown pretty much the finished product.

My specs are:

Compaq Mini 601-LA

Intel Atom N455 @1,66 GHZ

2GB RAM DDR3

Intel GMA 3150 Graphics

HDD 250GB 7200 RPM

Greetings from Paraguay, SouthAmerica

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel..please give us such an update driver Intel GMA 3150 working on windows 8. many intel consumers in out of there have been waiting for new innovation. I do placed my hope, windows 8 will be function on my Netbook with full of features. regards.....

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

The GMA 3150 was not intended to work under Windows 8, Intel does not have plans to release drivers for Windows* 8 with the GMA 3150. See the following URL for Windows* 8 FAQ:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm?wapkw=windows+faq http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm?wapkw=windows+faq

Thanks

Allan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Windows 7 drivers work 100% along with the already familiar downscaling "hack". Metro apps look good even with downscaling. Configuring the desktop to display items in 125% scale will also minimize granularity.

However, both the provided extra display modes are for 4:3 displays, and the typical netbook sub-res displays are 1024x600, ie. close to 16:9. Needless to say, everything appears flattened.

What Intel actually could do is make a final patch -

add 1366x768

- and release the driver "as is" - for Windows 7. No Windows 8 support is needed.. Not a big job (AFAIK) and not much planning to do there.

Windows 8 gives new life to our old netbooks and is - especially with the Metro UI - what should have been there in the first place. I've now run the Win8+N450+2GB+SSD combo on my Samsung netbook for a day and it's fast. Really fast - considering it's a budget Atom product by heart.

The focus is constantly shifting to pads and thanks to Microsoft and Windows 8, the x86 architecture is in the market, too, among all the ARM products. Who knows, perhaps we'll buy yet another Intel-based device in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's right!! Clear as water. Windows 8/GMA3150 users need 1366x768 resolution.

And it seems Intel doesn't want to work in legacy HW anymore.

0 Kudos
dlube
Beginner

Hello I have read all your posts, but I d'ont really understand if there is now, a solution to set HP mini 210 to 1366 X 768 ? (that is, finding a correct 16/9 resolution suitable with Metro, and ok for the rest). If so, what can I do ? Update a driver ?

I have installed Windows 8, change the parameter with regedit, but like the others, donet find a correct resolution that will not flatten everything.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos