Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20911 Discussions

Custom resolutions and 4670k and HDMI/DP Resolutions/Refresh rate

XEXE
Novice

Hello all,

My GPU died and I've resorted to my integrated graphics for now. My monitor is 3440x1440 and 144Hz. I'm connected via HDMI as my motherboard only has an HDMI out, and can select 3440x1440, however I am limited to 50Hz and the screen flickers as such. Can I purchase a HDMI to DP cable and then connect to the displayport on my monitor? Will it function then as a displayport signal from the processor and allow me to use higher refresh rates? Or must it be DP to DP in order for it to work?

For some reason I can select 1920x1080 at 120Hz, but can't do anything above that without being locked at 50Hz, resulting in screen flickering. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, converting from HDMI back to DP does not result in the graphics channel being run in DP mode; you will remain stuck in HDMI mode. It is possible that a better quality HDMI cable (perhaps one certified for HDMI 2.0) will get you past this problem, but understand that you will NOT get beyond 60Hz and you may be hampered from doing even that by a poor HDMI port implementation on the motherboard (sadly, there are a lot of boards with this issue).

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, converting from HDMI back to DP does not result in the graphics channel being run in DP mode; you will remain stuck in HDMI mode. It is possible that a better quality HDMI cable (perhaps one certified for HDMI 2.0) will get you past this problem, but understand that you will NOT get beyond 60Hz and you may be hampered from doing even that by a poor HDMI port implementation on the motherboard (sadly, there are a lot of boards with this issue).

...S

XEXE
Novice

Yeah, I have an HDMI 2.1 certified cable and it's worked with high end GPU's on friends PC's for testing. So I assume it's something to do with the motherboards HDMI output, but alas, the Asus z87 Deluxe Dual motherboard has HDMI 1.4a. Probably too old anyway. Thanks!

0 Kudos