Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20657 Discussions

D3D11 copy multi sample depth stencil resource

leoner
Beginner

device: UHD Graphics 630 (Intel i7-10750H,   Dell XPS 15 9500)

driver version: 31.0.101.2115 

I need to perform a copy of multisample textures (used as render targets as well as shader resources) in the render loop of my application. 

I noticed that ID3D11DeviceContext::CopyResource is really slow on Intel UHD 630: 

profiling with both Graphics Frame Analyzer and d3d time queries, it looks like a single copy can take up to 5000 us for a 1200x800 R8G8B8A8_UNORM (x8 samples) resource and 6000 us for a D24_UNORM_S8_UINT (x8) of the same size. 

Since I need to copy both resources in the render loop, those performances make the app almost unusable when the graphics adapter in use is the Intel UHD. 

I also tried a slightly different approach: instead of copying the entire ms texture, I downsampled (resolved) the ms color texture and copied it to a single sample resource (multi-sample is important for the source of the copy, the destination could be a single-sampled texture without loosing too much graphics quality).  This approach is significantly faster than the full ms texture copy.

However, in d3d11 it's not possible to resolve a resource with BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL flag, so this approach is not viable for the depth copy. So I tried with a shader that samples from the ms depth texture and writes only the 0th sample to depth. Again, the performance is terrible (~3500 us). 

Are there ways to improve performance?

Are there texture formats that allow for a faster copy or performance tips for Intel UHD that address this issue?

Is there a faster method to achieve the desired result that I'm not considering?  

Thanks in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
13 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello leoner,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues, and we would be more than glad to help you.

To better assist you, please provide us with the following:

• Are you working on a personal project?
  • Can you replicate the issue using third-party graphics?
  • We would like to gather more information about your system: provide us with the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU) report:
    • Download the Intel SSU
    • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save."
    •  

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
leoner
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the promt reply,

1. Are you working on a personal project?

No, I'm working on the development Eyeshot, an established a CAD component for .NET (website: https://www.devdept.com ).

We have thousands of customers that, in turn, distribute their products to thousands of end users. Intel graphics, optionally coupled with a discrete gpu, is a really common scenario among developers and users. We aim to make our product run smoothly also on low end configurations, without forcing the customers to buy expensive hardware.

2. Can you replicate the issue using third-party graphics?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. This is a preformance issue, dedicated NVidia and AMD cards have proven to be much faster (as it is to be expected). I tried the same process described in the first post of this thread with an NVidia 1650Ti, RTX 3060, AMD Radeon Pro W5500, ... . I could provide benchmarks and driver versions for each, but I think that's beside the point, it's not a surprise that Intel UHD 630 is slower than modern discrete GPUs, generally speaking. The problem is how much worse they are, and wether or not I'm missing optimization opportunities I'm not aware of.

3. We would like to gather more information about your system

You'll find the requested info in the attachments.

Best Regards,

Leone Ruggiero

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello leoner,

We have received a notification that you have responded to your thread; unfortunately, your response is not visible. Your response has trigged a website filter and has been marked as spam. Maybe due to the website link you shared.

About your issue, we would like to recommend you perform a clean driver installation, installing our latest driver available for your graphics adapter, 31.0.101.212. Doing a clean driver installation of the software/drivers for any hardware can help to fix specific issues that can be associated so any additional software that might be causing malfunction. Try the new driver and check if the performance improves.

If the issue persists, we would like to further investigate this matter. May we kindly request you provide us with the necessary information to replicate the issue by sharing your app and providing clear steps to reproduce the problem?

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
leoner1
Beginner

Hi Jean,

"Doing a clean driver installation of the software/drivers for any hardware can help to fix specific issues that can be associated so any additional software that might be causing malfunction. Try the new driver and check if the performance improves."

I tried with a clean driver installation, however, I didn't notice any performace improvement.

"May we kindly request you provide us with the necessary information to replicate the issue by sharing your app and providing clear steps to reproduce the problem?"

Instead of the entire application, which requires some preliminary steps to replicate the performance issue, I attached a simple Win32-D3D11 application as a MS Visual Studio solution. The solution should be ready to build and run as long as the workload "Desktop developement with C++" is installed. If you just want the executable, you'll find it in x64\Release. I hope that's fine too. 

To replicate the issue you just need to launch the application with Intel Graphics Frame Analizer: you'll see that the resolving the multisample color texture and copying it to screen plus doing the same for depth data adds up to around 5 milliseconds GPU time. 
In the code (IntelTestD3D11.cpp)  you'll find a short comment that explains what I'm doing in details (the first post of this thread basically).

This is not bug report, I just wanted to hear from you if there are optimization opportunities for your hardware that I'm missing.

"Your response has trigged a website filter and has been marked as spam. Maybe due to the website link you shared."

I've been banned from this website. I'm sorry I misused the forum. 

However, it clearly wasn't my intention to litter this website with spam or promote my company, I was just trying to introduce myself.

Is it possible to restore my account/ip/domain status?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Leone

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello leoner,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello leoner1,

Thanks for the information provided.

If you feel you have been restricted unfairly, contact Intel Customer Support by completing the Sign-in Issues form.

We will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello leoner1,

To continue investigating your issue, we would like to request the following information:

• The step-by-step to fully replicate your issue, a recording of the screen would be ideal.
  • Let us know which files we need to open into the Intel Graphics Frame Analyzer.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
leoner1
Beginner

Hi Jean,

You'll find a step-by-step guide in the attachments as requested.

Regards,

Leone

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello leoner1,

Thanks for the video you provided.

We will continue to resume our investigation on this matter. We will post back as soon as we have further details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
leoner1
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Is there any update on the issue?

Best Regards,

Leone

0 Kudos
karen_intel

Hi @leoner1 thank you for your submission
This case has been escalated to Developer Support at Intel.

Once the fix has been implemented in a public release I will contact you in this thread.

Just FYI the fix would be targeted for 11th gen and newer processors first, as the 10th gen and older processor have legacy support only: Graphics Driver Support Update for 10th Generation and Older Intel Processor Graphics

Our regular driver cadence release can take from 3 up to 6 months, but in case we have news we will let you know here. 

The impact of this fix is also included in the escalation process. Hope to bring news soon.

Regards

Karen
Forum for Devs: https://community.intel.com/t5/Developing-Games-on-Intel/bd-p/developing-games-graphics 
If you are in GitHub: https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues

0 Kudos
leoner1
Beginner

Hi Karen,

Any update on the topic? 

Is there a place where I can check how the issue is progressing?

Best regards,

Leone

0 Kudos
karen_intel

Hi Leone

Sorry for the delay and thank you for reporting this issue.

Our priority is to target the most popular games and apps to focus our efforts on providing a high quality, stable experience for the broadest set of users.

We will continue to improve our software performance and compatibility throughout 2024 and beyond.

While we can’t accommodate your request at this time, please watch this article on our website for any possible changes to this situation.

Regards

Karen

0 Kudos