Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21286 Discussions

DSA checking drivers every hour

Fenshome
Beginner

Driver & Support Assistant

It's not obvious which is the right Forum area. If wrong please move to the right area.

DSA was set run every week but runs every hour. Reset it to never and still runs every hour. Did a clean uninstal and reinstalled again, and still runs every hour and takes 100% CPU resources.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It use to work OK until Windows Update some weeks ago. Well I think that's what has happened.

Kim

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Kim, we would like to inform you that we are routing your query to the dedicated team for further assistance.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

Thank you for creating a thread in Intel Communities.

I appreciate the checks that you have done prior posting this thread.  I would like to ask some questions below, so I can provide you effective suggestions:

1. How did you uninstall the software? Did you use the IDSA Uninstaller?

2. What browser are you using or pops-up when you open DSA?

3. Kindly go to settings and look for “Installed Version” usually on the upper right hand side. Please state the version that you see there.

4. Is there a driver update that keeps on failing to install? This could trigger the DSA to show notifications on a frequent basis.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Fenshome
Beginner

Hi, and thanks for responding.

Hi, thanks for responding

Used: IDSA Uninstaller

Version: Installed Version: 24.4.32.8

Browser: Chrome: Chrome is up to date

Version 128.0.6613.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The DSA installs, but Service keeps firing-up every hour utilising 100% CPU for a period of time, even though it’s set for weekly. Never use to do this in earlier versions.  Is it meant t do this?

Regards

Kim Fenley

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

Thank you for your response.

There are three services associated with the Intel DSA:

1. Intel Driver and Support Assistant

2. Intel Driver and Support Assistant Updater

3. Intel® Computing Improvement Program

Kindly provide a screenshot of what service is causing the CPU utilization behavior. 

We'll be waiting for your update.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
Fenshome
Beginner

Hi

It's Intel Driver and Support Assistant

0 Kudos
Fenshome
Beginner

Hi again

Here's the Task Manager screenshot too

0 Kudos
VARADHARAJAN
Valued Contributor I

@Fenshome 

Use  32bit Chrome browser in MSI format,  disable  Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed under Chrome settings.

I checked in my system, I set Edge browser 64bit as the default browser 

See my task manager's photo

Varadharajan K

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

Thank you for confirming what service is affected.

I may need to forward your concern for investigation; however, I need your cooperation to provide the following:

1. May we know if you have also installed the Intel Computing Improvement Program which can be bundled with the Intel DSA software?

You can confirm this by opening the IDSA software and clicking “Settings”. You can see on the bottom middle of the page, it is installed or not.

2.  I need to get advanced logs for the software. Please go to C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA. Zip all 3 IDSA folders found there and provide that zip file on your post for developers to root cause the issue.

Sometimes the ProgramData folder is a hidden folder, so you cannot see the folder, change the settings to show all hidden files.

Looking forward to your post.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Fenshome
Beginner

Hi

Have Intel Computing Improvement Program installed.

Files attached.

Kim

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

Thank you for the detailed response and information that you provided.

Kindly test by uninstalling the Intel® Computing Improvement Program from Control Panel, Programs and let me know of your observations if the issue is mitigated after removing this application.

I will wait for your update.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to carry out the recommendations that we have provided.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
Fenshome
Beginner

Hi Alfred

Sorry the last email I thought was sent, but didn't go.

Uninstalling made no difference.

It was not installed when it first started. then installed it as requested, made not difference, then uninstalled, made no difference.

I think it has to do with Windows update, but can't be sure.

Kim

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Fenshome 

Check in Windows Setting, Installed apps if you have installed Intel Computing Improvement Program. If yes, uninstall it and reboot your computer.

Leon

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

Thank you for providing that information.

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
Jashraf
Beginner

@Fenshome 
It sounds like the issue could be tied to the Intel® Computing Improvement Program, which may be running in the background. Try uninstalling this program from your control panel under "Installed Apps" and then reboot your computer to see if it resolves the problem. If the issue persists, you may also want to disable background apps in Chrome settings, or check which Intel service is causing the high CPU usage.

0 Kudos
Fenshome
Beginner

Hi

The Intel® Computing Improvement Program was uninstalled and Chrome background Apps was off.

The DSA runs up every hour in background for approx. 1 minute, I assume its doing checking, whereas it would only do it once a week.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

Our developers thoroughly reviewed the logs provided and they cannot find an entry to determine that the issue is related to the DSA Service. Due to these findings, they are still no considering the possibility that it is caused by the DSA service, so they recommended if you could submit the logs right after the issue occurs. Here are the instructions again to get the logs:

Please go to C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA. Zip all 3 IDSA folders found there and provide that zip file on your post for developers to root cause the issue.

Once you have the latest IDSA logs captured after the issue occurs, kindly resend it to me, so I can ask our developers to review it.

We look forward to your feedback regarding our post.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
Fenshome
Beginner

Alfred

Please find requested Zip file.

Kim

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fenshome,

Thank you for your response and providing more details regarding the issue,

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on your concern. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will get back to you as soon as we have updates.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
alicemorgan3303
Beginner

"Hi Kim, it sounds frustrating that DSA keeps running despite your efforts to stop it. Since it started after a Windows Update, it's possible that the update altered some system settings or permissions. You might want to check Task Scheduler for any leftover tasks linked to DSA. Also, ensure the latest DSA version is installed and compatible with the updated Windows version. Hope this helps!"

0 Kudos