Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Dell Inspiron 15 3543 Intel Graphics Driver bug - screen flickering on dark backgrounds

Harold_H_
Beginner

System Used: Dell Inspiron 15 3543
CPU SKU: Intel Pentium 3805U
GPU SKU: nVidia GeForce 820M, Intel HD Graphics 4000
System BIOS Version: A08
Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.14.4264, A02
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1, 64-bit

Steps to reproduce:
1. Install Intel HD Graphics driver from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3543-laptop/drivers/advanced (generic Intel drivers don't work; the drivers on Dell site are specific to couple of models of laptops),
2. Open something with dark (preferrably gray) background and notice the screen flicker.

It happens only on battery power, it doesn't happen before installing Intel drivers (this is an issue with the driver, not screen or battery), tweaking Display Power Saving settings has no effect (including registry tweaks that seem to work for other laptops), and installing nVidia drivers doesn't change anything. I hoped that the Dell Intel graphics drivers update of 22 June 2016 would fix the bug, but it didn't and the screen flicker remains. I've also tested the previous drivers versions - they also have this bug.

This issue makes it impossible to use e.g. dark-themed text editors without literally going insane because the flicker is very noticeable and has uneven patterns.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
delacy__david
Beginner

Hello Harold,  If you open the intel UI graphics app there should be a setting to disable DPST.  That feature is specifically for what you are describing.  Might want to try different levels with the slider.  Also might want to try disabling all the power settings in the cui.  What are the registry keys you tried?

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Harold,

From the driver side there isn't much I can do, there are no new drivers planned for HD 4000 graphics. The most recent we have is here. beerandcandy's advice is correct, you should try that and see if it fixes your problem. 

-Michael 

0 Kudos