Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Dell Vostro 15 3568 HDMI no audio issue

Yazan-san
Beginner

hello,

a few days ago i faced an issue with my laptop concerning HDMI connectivity. i plugged my laptop to my tv to watch a movie but for some reason windows never recognized my TV in terms of audio output. it displayed fine on the tv but the sound came out of the laptop's speakers. after much search and diagnosis i came to the conclusion that the issue was with my latest Intel graphics update. i rolled back to the laptop manufacturer's recommended driver though its a few months old but i was able to resolve the issue. now my laptop is not a gaming laptop by any stretch of the imagination but i like to always have the latest versions of drivers. 

i was wondering if any one has faced this kind of issue with their respective laptops?

cheers. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you click on the Sound icon and select to have audio played out through this TV? This doesn't happen automatically. Windows cannot guess what you want; you have to tell it.

...S

0 Kudos
Yazan-san
Beginner
i know and i did try that solution, however, it didnt appear in the sound options. it was as if windows didnt recognize the HDMI port for sound transfer, only video. i eventually had to go back with the manufacturer recommended display driver and thankfully it fixed the problem. but this means that i can never update my display drivers because i will not be able to enjoy anything on my tv again.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What versions worked and what versions didn't? If the versions that didn't work came from Intel site and versions that did work came from Dell site, perhaps there are customizations in the Dell versions. In this case, getting newer drivers may require that Dell be the one releasing updated drivers. Good luck getting them to do anything.

...S

0 Kudos
Yazan-san
Beginner
hey Scott,
you're right, the intel versions were the one that didn't work. also, i noticed another change. using the Dell driver i noticed a big drop in resource allocation. meaning, the intel driver took alot of resources from my laptop, while the Dell driver didn't. it doesn't matter anyway in terms of updates as i use my laptop mainly for work and very light gaming.
thanks Scott for your input.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you try just one or did you work through the list of driver updates? If the latter, is there a specific driver release that causes the issues?

...S

0 Kudos