Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20966 Discussions

DirectX 12 on Fortnite no longer supported on Intel graphics because of UE 5.1

Xillvion
New Contributor I
With the new map update to Fortnite, DirectX 12 no longer works on Intel Iris Xe graphics because of Unreal Engine 5.1, says that "DX12 is not supported for your system" if you try to force it via command line arguments.

DX11 and Performance mode works fine but "performance mode" performance still feels absymal compared to 10th gen Intel UHD graphics.

Since this is a problem with UE 5.1, I want to know if the GPU is capable of supporting it.
24 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

Here's the SSU info and the screenshot of the error message:UE5.1_DX12_error.png

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Xillvion,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics.   

In order to better assist you, please confirm the following:  

1. Does the game work with DX11?

2. Did you use to play Fornite with DX12 before the error?

3. Did you get the error as soon as the game was updated?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I
  1. Yes, but doesn't provide good framerates.
  2. Somewhat, before that update, DX12 shader compilation was fine but later became worse with each small updates, before becoming unplayable.
  3. Of course.

I actually tried out the Unreal Engine 5.1 Editor a day before the game got updated, and the same thing happens. Create a new project, change the rendering settings to DirectX 12 and the same error message will show up trying to open the created project...it probably means that every future UE 5.1 games (if it's playable enough) will have the exact same issue.

Here's the screenshot the message for changing to DirectX 12 in-game though:

screenshot.png

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

Also, I tried using the Arc graphics driver, same DX12 error message but no problems with any DX11 or other DX12 games.

But the beta version of the Arc driver will cause the game to become corrupted a bit, freeze for few seconds and then crash when in DirectX 11. Screenshot: crash.png

0 Kudos
The_Electrinix
Beginner

Hi Xillvion,

The DirectX 12 problem in Fortnite is generated due to the Lack of support for the SM6 Feature Level.

Screenshot of FortniteGame.log:imagen.png

As a result, the game will not open

SM6 Feature Level is the support for the graphics card to use the features of DirectX 12, (like DirectX 12 Ultimate or RTX), just because it says it does not support the SM6 Feature Level does not mean that your graphics card does not support DirectX 12, it means it does not support all the features that this brings, and it is very commoner than you think because almost all Integrated graphics do not support Ray Tracing, or do not support the Shader Model, or whatever it needs.imagen.png
And as you can see in this screenshot extracted from the Unreal Engine Documentation Page

(https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/API/Runtime/RHI/ERHIFeatureLevel__Type/)

It asks for all those requirements to be compatible with SM6 Feature Level due to Nanite and Lumen that requires them, I know that DirectX 12 had generally better performance and I think Epic in this case should have a switch in the game settings to enable or disable them and let use only the DirectX 12 without that features as DirectX 11.

I hope it has helped you
By the way, I'm not affiliated with intel

Pd: the FortniteGame.log can be found at (C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\FortniteGame\Saved\Logs)

If someone knows how to bypass the SM6 Feature Level, will really appreciate it. Want to test. 🙂

Xillvion
New Contributor I
Wow, I didn't even think of checking the game logs when that happened.

So that explains the same error message I got in Unreal 5.1 editor, a day before Fortnite upgraded the engine.

Thanks for looking into it.

Unfortunately, it just probably means the game is not recommended for Iris Xe graphics, since I and someone else reported a problem with performance mode months ago and yet still no mention of any fixes for it.
Harryincorrect
New Contributor I

That someone else would be me xD. Came here for a fix to this same problem and voila, we meet again lol. Btw performance mode works okay now. Just wanted to see the graphics changes without any stuttering which directx 11 doesn't allow.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Xillvion, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
dasfox
Beginner

I'm having problems too. I used to run DirectX12 on my laptop.

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz

16.0 GB (15.6 GB usable)

Windows 11 22H2

Intel Iris XE Graphics

But there's been an update and the game doesn't let me select DirectX 12 anymore. I can only select DirectX 11 and performance mode with warnings. 

Both DirectX11 and performance mode are way glitchy. DirectX 12 used to crash every once in a while but atleast the game play was smooth so that was the preferred option.

I have every possible setting turned off or low and gameplay is now terrible. My internet connection is the same. We have another device running fortnite, a nintendo switch, and it's not having problems so it's not the connection. All I can say is I can't run directX 12. is this something I'm going to have live with?

Dissappointing I can't run fortnite on this laptop. It's a Intel NUC M15. I thought it would be powerful enought.

0 Kudos
Eli3
Beginner

Me ha pasado lo mismo, tengo un i3-1115g4 de 4.1Ghz, imposible que vaya bien. No es cosa de Intel, porque muchos juegos de la misma exigencia me van bien... Es cosa de Fortnite, por lo que lo mejor es proceder con el reclamo en la plataforma de Epic Games. En teoría el modo "Rendimiento" está diseñado para PC lowspecs, pero según la temporada el rendimiento del juego cambia: Aumenta o disminuye incluso en PC gamer.

En modo rendimiento, la iGPU a 100% de escalado con 60fps consume máximo 70%, mientras que el CPU se cuelga constantemente a 99%. Esta temporada, el juego simplemente es injugable, pero la temporada pasada hacía hasta streaming... Todo va según lo optimizada que esté la actualización.

Creo que los usuarios de hardware intel para laptops debemos descartar la idea de jugar Fortnite hasta que Intel haga una colaboración con el juego y agreguen unos preajustes personalizados para sus clientes.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Xillvion, 

Thanks for your patience. As a test, try the Arc driver version since this includes a patch "Intel® Game On Driver support on Intel® Arc™ A-series Graphics for Fortnite (Chapter 4/UE5.1)*"

Please, let me know the outcome.

@dasfox, Thanks for your report. Feel free to try the steps shared here or you can open a new thread to get support.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I
I have already tried using 31.0.101.3959 before you replied and it still has the same problem as the beta version where the game will crash in DirectX 11. Someone already reported the issue here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/intel-arc-driver-version-31-0-101-3959-is-not-working-in/m-p/1437497

I also tried installing 31.0.101.3975 BETA , still the exact same problem.
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Xillvion,

Thanks for the confirmation, I really appreciate it. I will proceed with the investigation to find a solution to this issue. As soon as I have any information I will let you know.

Best regards,
Deivid A.

0 Kudos
tristan4
Beginner

hi i have the same problem but what can i do?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Xillvion, 

Thanks for your patience. I would like to let you know that a bug report (ID 1309536736) has been submitted, I cannot promise any fix anytime soon but if there is one we will note it in the community thread and in future driver release notes.

Since this issue is being investigated and we will update the thread with the outcome, let me know if is fine to close this thread.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

The same ID as the one @Harryincorrect reported last year? Also, the 31.0.101.4032 driver no longer crashes the game but the shader compilation doesn't work, which has been like that since 2020.

Whatever it is, yes, you can close the thread.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Xillvion, 

Thanks for the confirmation. We will update the thread with further information if needed.

I will proceed to close this thread, thanks for your comprehension.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Harryincorrect
New Contributor I

Would you mind explaining why both this issue and another issue have the same id?

0 Kudos
Arbazz
Beginner

man... having the same problem. the game used to run so fine before the launch of launch of fortnite chapter 4. used to get around 120 fps in dx12 but now it lags so bad even on performance mode. i have stopped playing the game due to this issue..so sick of epic games.

0 Kudos