Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20914 Discussions

Display Port not working

BBerg2
Beginner

Using a Dell OptiPlex 980 running Windows 10 x64 and Intel HD driver version 8.15.10.2900 I can only get the VGA port to work on Windows 10. I have a Dell U2417H connected to the Display Port and the computer sees it fine at boot, showing me the POST screen and allowing me to get into the BIOS, and the Windows logo shows just fine until the Intel driver loads and then output to the Display Port is stopped. I've uninstalled the driver. Rebooted. Powered off. Tried to find a newer version on Intel's convoluted, horribly designed website, used the driver detection tool which said there was nothing newer, nada, nothing, zilch.

This has to be an Intel driver problem since it works fine with the POST and BIOS. Given the plethora of posts regarding using digital ports on Intel HD graphics drivers, you'd think Intel would get it right eventually. Anyway, thoughts on how to fix this? I have to connect a monitor to the VGA port to see anything and it won't display dual connections either.

Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5)

Report Date: 7/8/2016

Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 14:44:44

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2900

Operating System: (6.2.9200)

Default Language: English (United States)

DirectX* Version: 10.1

Physical Memory: 8118 MB

Minimum Graphics Memory: 32 MB

Maximum Graphics Memory: 1696 MB

Graphics Memory in Use: 114 MB

Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5

Processor Speed: 3192 MHz

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 0042

Device Revision: 02

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Video BIOS: 2080.16

Current Graphics Mode: 1920 by 1080

* Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Monitors: 1

* Monitor *

Monitor Name: Dell P2411H Analog

Display Type: Analog

Gamma Value: 2.2

DDC2 Protocol: Supported

Maximum Image Size:

Horizontal: 20.87 inches

Vertical: 11.81 inches

Monitor Supported Modes:

640 by 480 (60 Hz)

640 by 480 (75 Hz)

720 by 400 (70 Hz)

800 by 600 (75 Hz)

800 by 600 (60 Hz)

1024 by 768 (75 Hz)

1024 by 768 (60 Hz)

1152 by 864 (75 Hz)

1280 by 1024 (60 Hz)

1280 by 1024 (75 Hz)

1920 by 1080 (60 Hz)

Display Power Management Support:

Standby Mode: Supported

Suspend Mode: Supported

Active Off Mode: Supported

Raw EDID:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 10 AC 6D A0 55 45 59 30

04 15 01 03 0E 35 1E 78 EA BB 04 A1 59 55 9E 28

0D 50 54 A5 4B 00 71 4F 81 80 D1 C0 01 01 01 01

01 01 01 01 01 01 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C

45 00 13 2B 21 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FF 00 46 38 4E

44 50 31 31 47 30 59 45 55 0A 00 00 00 FC 00 44

45 4C 4C 20 50 32 34 31 31 48 0A 20 00 00 00 FD

00 38 4C 1E 53 11 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 70

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners. *
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Brian:

According to the technical guide for your Dell OptiPlex 980, Windows® 10 is not supported, that PC works with Windows® 7, Vista or XP, as you can confirm on the following link, page 10:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex-980-tech-guide.pdf http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex-980-tech-guide.pdf

That seems to be the reason why the display port is not working, and also why the PC might have some other problems like the one related to the display dual connections.

Did you check with Dell before doing the upgrade to Windows® 10 to make sure they have drivers for that Operating system?

Do you know the model of the processor?

We might be able to look for a graphics driver, but we need the model of the processor to do that.

After you did the upgrade to Windows® 10, did the display port work fine at some point or it never work?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Terabyte.net:

I just wanted to check if you saw the previous information submitted on this thread?

We need that information in order to further assist you.

Alberto

0 Kudos
BBerg2
Beginner

Does this help?

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility

Version: 5.50.20160527

Time Stamp: 2016/07/20 01:25:11

Operating System: 6.2-9200-

Number of processors in system: 1

Current processor: # 1

Active cores per processor: 2

Disabled cores per processor: 0

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 650 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Type: 0

Family: 6

Model: 25

Stepping: 5

Revision: 4

Maximum CPUID Level: B

L1 Instruction Cache: 2 x 32 KB

L1 Data Cache: 2 x 32 KB

L2 Cache: 2 x 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Packaging: LGA1156

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: Yes

MMX(TM): Yes

Intel(R) SSE: Yes

Intel(R) SSE2: Yes

Intel(R) SSE3: Yes

Intel(R) SSE4: Yes

Intel(R) AES-NI: Yes

Intel(R) AVX: No

Enhanced Halt State: Yes

Execute Disable Bit: Yes

Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes

Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes

Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes

Intel(R) VT-x with Extended Page Tables: Yes

System Graphics: Add-in Graphics

Expected Processor Frequency: 3.20 GHz

Reported Processor Frequency: 3.32 GHz

Expected System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz

Reported System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz

Anyway, by your thought process regarding compatibility, pointing out that Dell doesn't show the box as Win10 compatible only means that Dell has been too lazy (or greedy) to test it. By that logic, I'd venture to guess that 75% of the machines that Microsoft passes as Windows 10 compatible are not actually Windows 10 compatible and should be discarded and new ones purchased (I'm sure your stockholders would love that). I mean let's be clear, both you and they would rather sell new ones, but the fact is this Optiplex 980 with an inexpensive SSD runs fantastic. It's also very interesting to note that ancient ATI/AMD and nVidia video chipssets have Windows 10 drivers that work PERFECTLY with Windows 10 and dual monitors, even on systems that are 9+ years old (I have a Dell Precision Workstation 390 that runs Win10 perfectly using the factor nVidia video card with dual monitors). Remember, the system shows both monitors until the driver you provide loads then the 2nd monitor drops out. That pretty much proves it's your driver not the system's compatibility with Win10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Terabyte.net:

Thank you very much for that information.

Correct, you are right about your comments, this problem seems to be related to the graphics driver.

The Intel® Core i5-650 is a first generation processor, and it has Intel® HD Graphics.

Windows® 10 supports only 3rd generation processors or higher, so, that could be the reason why this situation is happening, because the processor does not have the right frequency to support the display port or the display dual connectors, and also for that same reason there are no graphics drivers available to fix it.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Alberto

0 Kudos
BBerg2
Beginner

Sorry, that excuse does NOT hold water. Intel has provided drivers for this chipset as evidenced by the screen shot above. Microsoft has passed hundreds of these systems for clients of ours in their pre-checks. I'm betting millions of these chipsets have passed the pre-check and been upgraded to Windows 10. Since you have BRANDED drivers for Windows 10 that means you support Windows 10. Fix the problem. Stop making up excuses to sell new processors. That, or tell Microsoft to stop passing Gen 1 and Gen 2 Core i3/5/7 CPUs (let me know how that goes since Microsoft wants everyone possible on Windows 10). That Intel and Microsoft, two often overly cozy bedfellows, haven't agreed on what CPUs support Windows 10 really bothers me. Time to take this to the press. This should make for interesting research by some writers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Terabyte.net:

We understand your point and we respect the comments and opinions from all the peers on this thread or in any other thread.

Our goal is always provide the best support and to try to fix as much issues as we can.

The information I gave you on the previous post, is just to let you know that from our side and based on the information we have, that might be the reason why the display port is not working, and that we ran out of options to try.

You are probably right in all the comments you submitted on this thread, but, as you saw on that document I gave you before, it states that 1st generation processors are not fully supported for Windows® 10.

We are really sorry to hear that the laptop is not working as you expected, we tried our best to fix this situation.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Alberto

0 Kudos
BBerg2
Beginner

Again you fail to grasp that the CPU is fully supported by Microsoft so how can they support it and you not? Without Microsoft Intel doesn't exist. That's a fact. So why would you allow Microsoft to pass pre-certs for these systems for Windows 10 and then not support them on your end? Microsoft feeds each and every one of you. Apple doesn't buy enough chips to keep you afloat and your mobile phone/tablet chips are a joke so seems that you should be working closer with the hand that feeds you to make sure everything is compatible.

Furthermore, your competitors all have chipsets that work great in Windows 10 from this time period and earlier. What this is is L.A.Z.Y. syndrome combined with corporate greed. Just admit it, you don't want to fix this so you conveniently leave them off your list. You want to sell new CPUs so you conveniently leave them off your list. Time to avoid systems with Intel graphics which means Intel CPUs. AMD CPUs and their video and/or nVidia sure do look like better investments for the long term viability of systems.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Terabyte.net:

We will always respect the opinion of all the peers in our communities.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very valuable for us.

Alberto

0 Kudos
EAlva8
Beginner

Hi everyone.

I have a computer with the next specifications:

Dell Optiplex 980

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.2GHz

Intel HD Graphics

500GB SSD

10GB RAM

The problem persists. I noticed that the DisplayPort port worked fine right after formatting my computer. After restarting it the first time it didn't work anymore and my computer doesn't even detect the second monitor. Only VGA works well.

0 Kudos