Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20675 Discussions

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Intel HD Graphics 4400 Windows 10

WSter
Novice

I have an Acer Aspire E5-571 with intel core i5-4210U @ 1.70GHz with Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 with 8GB DDR3L RAM upgrade, a Samsung 850 evo 500GB SSD upgrade, windows 10, and might I add that I upgraded to windows 10 when I got my SSD and did a total clean install, so none of the manufacturer junk present. Whenever I launch a game or whenever a call is started in Skype this "Display driver stopped responding..."pops up and the program quits responding and I have to restart the program. I have yet to be able to call on Skype and have yet to play any of the games I have gotten. I have updated it to the newest drivers that it suggests, what the websites suggest, what the manufacturer suggest, and what several driver finding software suggest, and I still get the same message. I am currently running Driver Version: 20.19.15.4300 Driver Date: 10/1/2015. I also changed the TdrDelay time to 10 to try to let the program have enough time to load. I even reset and moved my RAM to different slots which was a suggestion that I found in my reading through some other forums and watching some videos. I also found that some people fixed the problem by disabling there Antivirus software, which I also tried, and also did not work. This problem has only started happening since I upgraded to windows 10, so I have a feeling that that has something to do with it. (Also my computer just recognizes my graphics as Intel(R) HD Graphics Family instead of Intel HD Graphics 4400, is it supposed to be recognized as that? how do I fix that?) Please help! I think it is a driver so if you can point me in the direction of the one I need to fix it or have Intel start on the fix that would be great, or if you have an answer that I am missing that I need to fix that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

34 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

Intel is currently working on a new driver for this issue "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". There is no ETA yet.

Please keep the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ handy for this release, I will keep the thread handy as well so I can post the driver in here once available.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
DBenv
Beginner

Hello fellow thread-lurkers and Intel engineers!

I have been experiencing a similar problem, albeit with slightly older hardware, under both Windows 7 and 10.

Although my problems began in Windows 7 x64, much like the earlier respondents to this thread, I have tried all of the recommended and conventional steps, including increasing the timeout, applying Microsoft's registry fixes, etc., etc. I have wanted to install Intel's latest drivers as well, but I keep getting the classic error message:

So, out of desperation, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, in the hopes that the new version of Direct X that comes with Windows 10 would solve the problem -- or, at least, the new platform version would allow me to install Intel's latest drivers.

These hopes were in vain, of course, or I would not be here. Needless to say I am still experiencing this issue, and have no real solution. Being unable to install the latest Intel drivers means that I'm pretty much stuck -- as I feel that is the only solution.

My hardware is a Dell Latitude E6410 running an Intel Core i7 M640 with an Intel HD GPU.

Below are more details on the hardware, for the Engineering side. I await, with bated breath, any reply that might bring a solution to this issue.

One thing I would like to mention (in closing) is this note that I have seen under Windows 10, listed in the Device properties for the Intel HD Display Adapter, which states that something requires further installation. This issue did not exist under Windows 7, but perhaps that is because there is no Windows 10 driver for the Intel HD GPU? Alas, I am wholly guessing here, but here are the details:

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Wentil:

As predicted, chances are that this is happening due to the fact that this Intel® HD Graphics is not supported on Windows 10*

The drivers to be used with this are going to be the default Windows 10* drivers which are installed with windows updates.

Compatibility with Windows 10* and Intel® HD Graphics: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html# core Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
DBenv
Beginner

Hey there, Esteban --

If only it were that simple... as I mentioned in my post, my problems existed in Windows 7, and remained, unchanged, in Windows 10 following the upgrade.

I would happily roll back the Windows 10 upgrade if it was just a Windows 10 compatibility issue. It is not... the issue was the same under Windows 7, as well.

If I were so bold as to ask a question, do you have a utility program that can be used to change the default 32 MB assigned to the Intel HD GPU as video RAM?

(No such ability to reassign the amount of shared memory exists in the Dell BIOS, not even the latest A16 variant, which I currently have installed on this laptop)

This may all derive from a too-small amount of video memory. If we could increase it to 128, 256 or even more, the driver might not lock up in this manner.

-- Wentil

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Wentil:

I'm sorry to hear that, Intel is working on this situation and recently release a driver you can test, please refer to the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25951/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81497 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

I look forward to your outcome while using this new driver.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
DBenv
Beginner

Dear Esteban --

It was with great delight that I downloaded and attempted to install the Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen].

At first I tried the Executable (which is so new it's not yet even digitally signed with Intel as the Publisher, by the way).

The results were predictable on my Intel Core i7 M640:

So next I threw caution to the wind, downloaded the ZIP file and attempted to install the Driver manually.

Yet, after browsing to the specific location of the new, unzipped driver, the system felt that one I already had installed was more appropriate.

So I tried to force it, explicitly specifying the Driver via the "Have Disk" option, putting in the unzipped Driver location (win64_154022.4424\Graphics)

This gave me the following:

Which leaves me back at square one, alas.

Suggestions as to next steps on this front?

-- Wentil

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

Read the thread title, this thread is for hd 4400 graphics, which is part of 4th gen cpus. Your cpu i7 640m is a 1st gen cpu, First gen cpus are not support by Intel on windows 10. Anyway, if you need support for your cpu, you should start a brand new thread.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you gilles.lussier for you input (which is accurate).

Drivers for first generation Intel® Core™ Processors (on Windows 8* only) are available via windows updates.

Have you guys tested the latest driver 15.40.22.4424 in your systems? Feedback is really good to have for tracking purposes.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

For me, I didn't see this problem was fixed for my i5 4200u and i7 4500u with driver version 15.40.10.4300.

The way I install the driver:

1: Download the driver in zip file format

2: Uninstall the old driver

3: Reboot into safe mode without network support

4: Unzip the driver into a temp directory, go in device manager and install the graphic driver from there. Reboot windows in normal mode.

Note that I had the same problem with a 2015 Dell xps (Broadwell U cpu) and my Surface book (Skylake U) and that same problem is fixed since the last couple of driver versions.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the feedback on this gilles.lussier, it is really appreciated.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

I was wondering if you were able to test the behavior of your system with the driver recommended.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
IDonm1
Beginner

Latest stable drivers fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

It is great to hear that ismail.donmez, really appreciate your feedback about that driver.

Guys, please try it out and let us know how it goes.

Here the download page for 15.40.25.4463:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

Hope you guys can get this fixed as ismail.donmez with this recently released driver.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos