Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Displays not detected until after Intel Control Panel "Detect"

TKeye
Beginner

Hey everyone: New to this space. I joined because I am switching to a new PC and bringing two Viewsonic VX2355WM monitors with me and they are not working correctly. When I boot the computer, they show "No signal detected" right away and soft-power off. I have the 630 chipset. The Viewsonics are attached using 1 DVI to Displayport adapter and 1 DVI to HDMI cable. Neither works in any configuration with either or both plugged/unplugged, etc.

I thought I found the solution: I unattached one of them and attached a working monitor so I can see the Windows desktop. Then I opened Intel Graphics Control Panel: Display/Mutiple Displays (where only 1 monitor shows; the temporary one) and click Detect. After a brief pause it finds the remaining Viewsonic still attached and that monitor gets a signal, displays a screen, and shows up as an additional display. I can then unattach the temporary monitor and reattach the other Viewsonic. Using Intel Graphis Control Panel again on the working Viewsonic, I am able to Detect and have the 2nd Viewsonic appear... viola, both Viewsonics are working with no issues.

The problem is everytime I reboot the computer, they go back to the exact same symptoms, and I have to use the temp monitor again to redetect one at a time. Notable that neither Viewsonic monitor is ever working during POST or Windows loading. Only after I click "Detect".

I have tried updating the driver for the monitor in Device Manager (which then finds the correct VX2355WM drivers instead of the basic windows compatible Plug and Play monitor), and I have updated the Intel driver to version 24.20.100.6194. Neither has worked to allow the monitors to persist after reboot.

Given that the monitors were working fine on the old system, and work fine after the above steps, and that other monitors that I've plugged in work with no issues, it seems like this is a simple driver issue. I would appreciate any assistance and am happy to test solutions.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TKeyes,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you are having display issues when connecting two Viewsonic VX2355WM monitors to your computer. I would like to help you.

Because your old computer and new computer may be different, I would like to get more information to help you troubleshoot this issue. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Also, please run this graphics report. Make sure both monitors are connected to your computer.

1. Right click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties.

2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center.

3. Click on Save (save it in your desktop).

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TKeye
Beginner

Thank you. Here are the items requested.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TKeyes,

Thank you for your response.

For testing purposes, I would like you to perform a clean install of the graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer to remove older versions of drivers that may be causing system conflicts. This is also recommended because computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging.

These are the steps.

1.Disconnect your unit from the internet.

2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

-Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

-Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your computer. Open device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4.Once you do, proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version provided by your system manufacturer.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-3050-desktop/drivers

5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, you can also perform the same steps with the latest generic version of the graphics driver for Intel® HD Graphics 630.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TKeye
Beginner

I'll give this a try as soon as I can and let you know the results.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TKeyes,

If you need any further help after performing these steps, I will be glad to assist.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TKeye
Beginner

I have now tried both. The first was with driver 23.20.16.4973 which Dell lists as the latest for my system. Nothing changed, so I tried again with 24.20.100.6194 which was the latest on the Intel site.

Unfortunately neither worked, so I am back to start.

In both cases I followed your instructions as written. I currently have the latest Intel drivers running.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TKeyes,

I would like to add more information about this issue.

Because you are not getting any display while your computer is booting, this means that there is a handshake issue with these monitors. We can also draw this conclusion because there is no video on these monitors during POST either. We suspect that the adapters are most likely the cause of the problem. For this reason, this has to be reported to your system manufacturer. The vBIOS (Video BIOS) is included with the system BIOS, so any update needs to come from the motherboard manufacturer.

Additionally, you can experience performance issues when using 3rd party adapters. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that your system configuration will work since a straight-through connection with a cable is always recommended.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TKeye
Beginner

Thanks. I will check in with Dell then. Appeciate your help with this!

0 Kudos