Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Dithering issues

jshen17
Beginner

Recently, I got a laptop with HD 4600 graphics. Opened up windows 8, and gradients looked terrible, banded, etc, because of the dithering (byproduct of bad color depth, and probably bad dithering algorithms). Not a display problem, because when I hooked up an external monitor to the laptop, the ugly dithering was still there. When its plugged into my old desktop (with nforce onboard graphics - according to pass mark, 28 times less powerful than the HD 4600) none of that is visible.

Basically, I am asking this. Can (will) Intel give us some options to configure dithering, or just generate output that doesn't need it in the first place? I really can't stand my $1000 laptop screen looking like the one on my $200 nexus 7.

Or am I screwed because the hardware is made to dither like that?

By the way, laptop is a y510p with core i7 4700mq.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello jshen,

It is important to mention that we as Intel® provide the hardware to the system manufacturer and they will design and create the software specifically for their systems.

At this point the information you provided will be send to the corresponding department for future considerations. At the moment, I recommend you installing the latest driver we have for your graphics controller that can be downloaded at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22842&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

If after installing this generic driver from our side issue persists, I recommend you contacting the system manufacturer and getting the driver from their side.

0 Kudos