Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Do I need to keep the intel graphics drivers up to date on a laptop with Nvidia Optimus technology?

Zenar
Beginner

Hi.

My laptop came with Nvidia Optimus technology which consists of Intel UHD 630 and Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card.

GTX 1060 is automatically activated when i launch a game. In this case, do intel graphics drivers have any effect on gaming performance? Should i keep them up to date?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Zenar, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, first, it is important to mention that everything on a laptop is customized by the computer's manufacturer, they can enable/disable BIOS settings and assign features and functions to specific components in the device, like in this case the games to the Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card.

Based on that, in order to to get the most accurate answer to your inquiry, we recommend to get in contact directly with the computer's manufacturer, they will be able to confirm if the Intel® graphics drivers have any effect on gaming performance and let you know if it is necessary to keep them up to date.

We always recommend to install the drivers provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) since those drivers were customized by them to work with your specific platform. So, another option will be to visit the OEM website, look for the model of the computer in there and verify which drivers are available for installation. If you see recent drivers for both, Nvidia and Intel®, then most likely it means that you should keep all the drivers up to date since the laptop might have the Nvidia graphics controller assigned to games but the other graphics functions could be assigned to the Intel® graphics controller.  

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos