Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Does these graphics card support the playback of 4k videos?

GNone
Beginner

Hi.

I want to buy one netbook with one of these intel graphics card:

Hd graphics 500

OR

Hd graphics 600

With intel celeron dual core processor.

Can these cpu & gpu support the playback of 4k videos without stack even at lower resolution screen like 1280*720 or any 4k tv connected to hdmi port.

A lot of thanks for your time and your answers.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

GNone, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, what we recommend for this scenario is to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the netbook to confirm which is the actual Intel® HD Graphics controller the computer is using.

The OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer) has the option to customize their products and enable or disable features and functions in the netbook, sometimes they can use hybrid graphics or switchable graphics, so the best thing to do is check with them if the computer is in fact only using Intel® HD Graphics and if there is a customization that might restrict the 4K playback.

In reference to your question, yes, the Intel® HD Graphics families 500 and 600 support 4K playback using the HDMI port.

There are different Intel® HD Graphics controllers within those families, for example, Intel® HD Graphics 520 and Intel® HD Graphics 620, in the following link you will be able to confirm the requirements of each graphics controller to support 4K playback:

Intel® HD Graphics 520

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/88355/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-6th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-520.html

Intel® HD Graphics 620:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/96551/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-620.html?_ga=2.265956495.1649859113.1562009899-513622253.1540908715&elq_cid=2686918&erpm_id=5939189

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
GNone
Beginner

Can you simply answer to me with a simple yes or no?

Does the 4k videos play at screen with lower resolution and 10-12 inches has the netbooks?

I know if i connect with hdmi one 4k screen it play normally an 4k video but at lower resolution screens?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

GNone, thank you very much for your response.

Yes, both Intel® graphics controllers support 4K playback, hardware wise they do support it.

But the thing is that if you are planning to use a lower resolution such as 1280 x 720, that is not considered 4K resolution, that will be HD resolution.

Still, we recommend to check that information with the manufacturer of the computer, not to confirm if the Intel® Graphics controllers support 4K playback, because they do, but to verify if they did some customizations on the netbook that might create limitations at the moment to use the 4K playback feature.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
GNone
Beginner

Yes i know that but i want to know if these two hd graphics card can play 4k videos without any problems at playback of the videos

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

GNone, thank you very much for your response.

Yes, both Intel® Graphics controllers support 4K video playback, both of them do. However, we cannot guarantee that there will no problems at the playback of the 4K videos because of the components that are installed in the netbook that were selected by the manufacturer of it, some of them might not be able to comply with the task, and for the possible customizations done by them on their products.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos