Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Does thunderbolt 3 dock works with Adaptive Sync?

Gnyueh
Novice

The newest Intel icelake mobile cpus have added support for adaptive sync inside its gen11 GT2 gfx which helps prevent tearing and I want to purchase a new TB3 dock to avoid too many wires. I wonder if DP ports on a DP3 dock will support adaptive sync (put this in another way, will TB3 controller support adaptive sync). I have an old TB16 TB3 dock and it seems that it works not that well when adaptive sync is non ( https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/TB16-compatiblewith-VESA-VRR/m-p/7440912#M39100). I wonder will the comptitability be better for the newest TB3 controller chips.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

TBT simply passes on the DP capabilities of the system. Whether the downstream dock is simply exposing the DP channel, either as a single port or as multiple ports via MST Hub, it is still simply passing on the DP capabilities of the system. In this case, using this dock down the line with a processor/system-based GFX solution that supports Adaptive Sync, it will be available at the connected monitors used at that time.

I suppose it is possible that a dock could be exposing DP channel(s) generated by an eGPU that is directly embedded in the dock (and which interfaces with the system using the PCIe bus extension that is also carried across the TBT3 cable). In this case, it is the capabilities offered by the DP channels generated by this eGPU that are being exposed. I haven't seen any dock like this (most that support eGPUs are simply backplanes supporting an add-in graphics card) but their day will likely come (call this a product looking for a home ;^) -- and, if this is the case, remember that you heard of this concept from me first!). Regardless, for this architecture, having a CPU in the future whose GFX solution supports Adaptive Sync isn't going to change what capabilities is available at this dock's DP ports.

...S

View solution in original post

8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

TBT simply passes on the DP capabilities of the system. Whether the downstream dock is simply exposing the DP channel, either as a single port or as multiple ports via MST Hub, it is still simply passing on the DP capabilities of the system. In this case, using this dock down the line with a processor/system-based GFX solution that supports Adaptive Sync, it will be available at the connected monitors used at that time.

I suppose it is possible that a dock could be exposing DP channel(s) generated by an eGPU that is directly embedded in the dock (and which interfaces with the system using the PCIe bus extension that is also carried across the TBT3 cable). In this case, it is the capabilities offered by the DP channels generated by this eGPU that are being exposed. I haven't seen any dock like this (most that support eGPUs are simply backplanes supporting an add-in graphics card) but their day will likely come (call this a product looking for a home ;^) -- and, if this is the case, remember that you heard of this concept from me first!). Regardless, for this architecture, having a CPU in the future whose GFX solution supports Adaptive Sync isn't going to change what capabilities is available at this dock's DP ports.

...S

Gnyueh
Novice

It seems that there is 2 synaptics display ICs VMM3320, VMM3330 inside TB16 (transimit the DP signal from TB3 controller to the DP connector) and they dont support adaptive sync which caused this problem. Whether TB3 is capable of adaptive sync needs further investigation.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I did some searching. There is updated firmware available for these ICs. I do not know if the updates include a fix this specific issue (their comments on what is included in the updates SUCK!); you would need to apply and see...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Gnyueh
Novice

tb16 is a discontinued product and Dell is only adding security and stability patches to it. There was a patch to VMM chips to solve the flickering but it didnt add support for adaptive sync. And till now dell didn't add UASP support to TB16(USB5537B hub in it doesn't support UASP), so I dont think support for adaptive sync will be added in the future. I would buy a new USB4 hub to replace it, maybe.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Gnyueh

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we hope that the information provided by the community was useful.

Thunderbolt 3 is passing through a standard DisplayPort* (DP) 1.2 signal hence it depends on the docking if Adaptive Sync is supported. We recommend checking with the Thunderbolt™ dock manufacturer to confirm capabilities supported.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Gnyueh
Novice

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Actually I found that some Apple Macbooks actually support DP 1.4 signal through TB3 protocol which is quite interesting. I have asked a similar question in dell community before and it looks like the synaptics VMM chips in the dock for MST support blocks adaptive sync signals and that is the reason. Lack of datasheet of synaptics chips made the process quite difficult and your reply helps exclude the reason of TB3 protocol, thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Gnyueh

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that all the information provided in this thread was useful. Please let us know if you have additional questions or if we can consider this thread solved.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Gnyueh

We are checking this thread and since it has been marked as "Solved" and there are no newer questions or comments, we will proceed to close the thread now. It has been a pleasure to assist. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos