Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Doom @ Vulkan

Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

Hi everyone,

since the latest v4474/v4475 drivers it's possible to play Doom (2016) on OpenGL using Intel HD / Iris Graphics. Big THX to the driver team!!!

Today ID Software released a patch to add Vulkan support for Doom

But here is the problem:

The latest Intel Vulkan Beta drivers are https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2016/06/29/new-intel-graphics-test-driverdriver-for-windows-10-and-windows-781-15404473 v4473... and with those Doom refuses to start (The known problem before v4474/4475).

May I request a new Beta driver? I want to see how Doom performs when using the Vulkan API.

Thanks an kind regards,

Loeschzwerg

0 Kudos
73 Replies
TLanz
Beginner

I am waiting too. Hope Intel will soon release a Vulkan driver working for Doom, the framerates can increase alot!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Loeschzwerg:

I just wanted to let you know, that we were able to replicate the case, and at this moment the only Intel® driver that will support Vulkan is the Beta driver version 4404 for open GL:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88357 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88357

So, right now, as it was mentioned previously on this thread, we will need to wait for a new Intel® driver that supports Vulkan.

I checked in order to find out if there is a specific release date for this driver, but there is no official information about that yet.

If I get the chance to get the release date for the driver, I will post it on this thread as soon as possible.

Let me apologize to all the peers on this thread for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Why the big delay though?, I thought you guys were going to put more effort into graphics support, especially with new technologies such as Vulkan which is already up and running well on Nvidia and AMD hardware.

I think you underestimate how big a deal it is for many Intel IGP users, performance at this level is crucial for a playable gaming experience, and low level API's can only help in this regard, even if only by a few percent it still makes a huge difference.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Embarrassing effort from Intel, this is a big disaster. Intel talked about Vulkan many months ago how good it is and how it can help to improve efficiency and performance but when it matters, Intel failed. This is another example of the poor driver support. They are clearly not interested in Vulkan. I hope they are ashamed at least.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

I just wanted to inform to everybody on this thread that we respect and accept all the opinions a feedback provided by all the peers participating on it.

Our engineering team is currently working on this case, to develop a driver for Vulkan, but, there is not official date of when it will be available, let me apologize for that.

As soon as we get any updates on the release date for this driver, I will post it on this thread.

Let me apologize again to all of you for any type of inconvenience.

Alberto

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

Any updates on the case? The community could really need a new Vulkan beta driver.

0 Kudos
RRafa
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Loeschzwerg:

In regard to your question, I just received some updates in regard to this matter.

The current Plan Of Record is that Intel® is not supporting Vulkan on Windows drivers. The drivers that were made available on Developer.com are intended for Vulkan developers.

So, it is expected that some Vulkan drivers may not work for end users.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Alberto

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

The current Plan Of Record is that Intel® is not supporting Vulkan on Windows drivers. The drivers that were made available on Developer.com are intended for Vulkan developers.

I really hope you are joking...

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

I hope too

No matter how, the Vulkan driver provided does have to work with the applications out there and in this case it's Doom. Not providing Vulkan inside the Windows drivers in general will definitely have an impact on further game/application development!

@Alberto: Just for clarification, this statement is 100% correct?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Yes, the official notification that I received is the one posted above, so, it is 100% correct, and as an option what we recommend, is to run Doom on OpenGL mode with Intel® Graphics.

Alberto

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

As I said Intel isn't interested in Vulkan, so we won't see any official Vulkan drivers anytime soon. Probably not this year. Terrible and shameful work from Intel. Intel isn't even trying to fix the Doom issue because we won't see Windows drivers. Vulkan developers don't need a bugfree driver or how is this going to work. Otherwise how could they work with them. Vulkan devs should avoid Intel as a result of this poor state.

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner

Intel was not yet able to provide an official driver that works with Doom, there is only the beta 4474 driver that works.... I think with Intel slowness you will have to wait next year for a working Vulcan driver... I am going to buy an Nvidia soon and solve all problems.

0 Kudos
RRafa
Beginner

4474 doesn't even work for everyone. It starts the game but crashes before the menu.

0 Kudos
JSnow3
Beginner

Then what was all that with the "the case right now is under investigation" and "Our engineering team is currently working on this case, to develop a driver for Vulkan" stuff? Only after a month of work to support Vulkan they realized it actually won't be supported?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hello:

Yes, the official notification that I received is the one posted above, so, it is 100% correct, and as an option what we recommend, is to run Doom on OpenGL mode with Intel® Graphics.

Alberto

Disappointed, we really should have a working public Vulkan driver by now, not barely functional development versions. How is in any way a Vulkan developer encouraged by this?, or is that the whole point?

0 Kudos
MSimm2
New Contributor I

BTW I found this

Intel have Vulkan_1_0 conformant drivers for "Intel® 7th Generation Core™ processor"

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products Khronos Products (click on Vulkan Tab and scroll down till you find Intel)

Wonder when they will release them... I'm thinking when the the desktop 7th gen Cores are released.

Regards Michael

0 Kudos
VMnll
Beginner

This is worse I wanted to program a GUI Library which was intented to be used on all new devices (cross platform) because I was thinking it would work on every new CPU, GPU, Smartphone etc. too...

0 Kudos
INoty
Novice

Hi Löschzwerg,

seems there is no shortcut to the newest beta driver and we have to wait until the official Vulkan driver release for Win64.

I also want to run DOOM on Vulkan. I changed ingame API to Vulkan, Doom crashed on restart. Click on View Crash Report and you will see Doom was called with launch option -render_api -2.

All Intel driver with Vulkan support I know can't run Doom in OGL, so I changed Doom's launch options in Steam to render api 2, as in crash protocol. Got immediate crashes on launch, so that switch worked. Now I tried every driver with VK support: 15.4404 and 15.4464. To see the driver's VK version I checked with Geeks3D Capsviewer 1.30 after restart.

It said VK 1.0.8(!) and 1.0.0 for the later one and both drivers could draw a spinning VK cube I had found in VK Sdk but none could launch the internal Gpu Caps VK demos like a simple triangle or the ocean sample. And none would allow Doom to load. Both generated an exception in Vulkan DLL. Which means VK was found but versions are too different or VK support on Intel side is not complete yet. The Intel drivers are really only meant for VK developers right now. AMD already ships VK 1.0.17. Oh, and to enable VK you additionally need to install Vulkan Runtime, like DirectX runtime back in the days. You will find a VulkanRT setup in Intel driver setup graphics folder to do that.

Version 15.4474 doesn't even come with VK driver in it and it uninstalls all VK support and files from an older beta driver. So I did not find a way to start Doom with VK. Though I am confident in some weeks this will be possible. Thank you Intel for your drivers!

INoty
Novice

Hey, I am so surprised because I found an article stating, that Doom was tested in OpenGL and Vulkan on Intel GT 520: http://www.golem.de/news/doom-vulkan-macht-die-hoelle-schneller-1607-122052.html Doom: Vulkan macht die Hölle schneller - Golem.de . I already wrote the author and asked which driver they used. I hope he will answer tomorrow and update the article. If not I will add a note here.

0 Kudos
JSaee
Beginner

When will you understand that intel is not a video cards company?

Intel is integrating its cheap intel hd GPUs in its processors so we do not have to buy expensive video cards just for watching videos and browsing the internet!

Intel does not intend to compete with other video cards companies, so don't expect a high-end video card from it that support everything.

0 Kudos