Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20705 Discussions

Drivers for graphics Intel GMA 3600/3650 - when?

idata
Employee

Hi,

For last 4 months since new mainboards premiere there is no graphics drivers for Microsoft XP OS.

Our client ask about support to XP for new Intel products D2500CCE and DN2800MT.

Why it is so long? How is it possible to send products with no proper software support?

Beta version drivers available somewhere?

110 Replies
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

I think the only thing that can possibly help the GMA 3600/3650 is new drivers!

But we all need to put pressure on the hardware partners, so that they in turn give more weight to the complaints to Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have an intel d2500 board and i can say that on win7 it works , but Intel is doing a shitty job at making the graphic drivers work OK, which blocks much of the work.

Also Win7 is pretty much the same as WinXP with the resources if you have 1GB ram at least there wont be much diference, disable Aero, software wise haven't had problems since about the beginning of the year, if you use corporate software you should have tested it before committing to win7.......

i have 5 or 6 Atom's 330 running Win7 very well, the problem is obviously drivers or bad hardware, contact Acer.

Good luck

Also...intel..youre on my black list of hardware until you sort this mess. AMD Fusion is looking very well to me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I replaced an old d510mo board to a D2500HN in an embedded system running XP.

I just realized that there are no graphics drivers. In the Download Center it says they will be available in April!

Intel please let us know when they will be available!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just bought a Samsung netbook with Intel GMA 3600. I hope Intel releases the drivers for Linux soon!/message/160349# 160349 Re: Drivers for graphics Intel GMA 3600/3650 - when?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Recently bought a Gateway LT40 with an Intel Atom N2600 and a GMA 3600.

This has the worst graphics compared to the early atom netbook.

When will the update for this graphics be release?

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

You're asking the wrong people. What do Gateway have to say about any updates? If you're wanting generic Intel updates, you need to specify what they're for precisely as there are many possible things that could be updated if your current setup was old enough and you were keen enough. It's also worth a note that many of them may not be compatible with your OEM PC which may be designed/customised in a non-reference design way. The Intel website mentions their Win XP drivers for the Intel GMA3600 as being due August (2012) - check out their download page note for more info.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I have same problem ,i have HP MINI 110 4108TU which has embedded intel GMA 3600 ...the crap problem i am having is that i have all drivers installed other than graphics which i now realise is not available till date for Windows XP and going by it ,intel seems not inclined as well ....but its very important for me ,

can anyone point me to any link from intel where they say how they plan to fix the issue ,the above download centre note link redirects to a expired page ,

Regards ,

Amlan Dutta

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Again, you need to contact the OEM (in your case HP) about it. Although Intel have now released a Win XP Graphics Driver for some of their motherboards which are equipped with this GMA 3600 chipset, as I predicted they are very basic and mention no 2D, 3D or Video Acceleration being in place. Let us know what HP says about this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Flying_kiwi,

Can you be kind enough to provide me with a link wherein i can download that driver and test out whether it works for me .HP support has been pathetic so far .They provide me a link wherein it shows that my laptop (HP)doesnt have any drivers for windows XP.But i have managed all other drivers for my laptop(sound,WIFI,Bluetooth etc )just cannot figure out graphics .....your post mentions of some basic drivers ...i think it may suffice since i dont need it for games ,just a few movies from youtuve which i want to play in VLC player ,so if you can please provide me any working link i will greatly appreciate !

Humble Regards ,

Amlan Dutta

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

If you do a search on any of the Intel 'Innovation Series' Motherboards which incorporate this graphics chipset, you can select the OS and find an appropriate driver *for that particular board* with CPU combination.

Here's one such example: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21551&ProdId=3382&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20%20Professional*&DownloadType=Drivers Download Center (note that this link may stop working after some time, so the best way to get the newest version is to search).

These are not general release GMA3600 Win XP drivers and if you search simply by graphics chipset, you'll see only Win 7 is supported (to date) so that should tell you something! As already mentioned no responsibility is accepted if this turns out to not work (or even causes problems) with your specific hardware.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi.. My Acer Aspire One D270 currently running dual OS; Windows 7 for daily use and XP for testing drivers.

For XP I have successfully installed drivers like:

1. Realtek sound

2. LAN/Ethernet

3. Wireless LAN Atheros

4. Launch Manager

5. Synaptic Touchpad

6. And last: THE GMA 3600 Driver with file EMGD_CDV_1.15_PV from Intel download center

The v1.15 GMA xp driver now have DirectDraw acceleration, I tested it and run correctly but foun glitches, but the Direct3D acceleration is not working..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mujiana, I have an Acer Aspire One D270 too, I've downgraded (or upgraded?...) it to Windows XP Pro SP3, due to unreliability of Windows 7 Starter (almost every week it used to restore to a previous restore point due to "netsys.dll" missing, and I don't want to talk about everytime it used to freeze during startup or shutdown). Anyway, I've played a bit with EMGD creating some packs. I saw your one at least enables the Direct3D acceleration, even if it doesn't work. What kind of configuration have you used?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi.. caypas.. I also have problems, sometimes my aod270 with windows 7 hangs at startup.. and I thought this is caused by too many programs that autorun when win 7 is starting up.. so I disabled few programs and it runs better..

And for the gma 3600 xp driver.. here I upload it for you.. my configured driver.. so you only have to double click the setup.exe to install it.. enjoy..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45417002/vga.rar http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45417002/vga.rar

0 Kudos
MGenn
Beginner

I have a d2700mud(XP PROF) and graphics card reaches the max at 1280x1024, I bought a 1366x768 monitor and I can not set this resolution, why??

It seems to me a block "commercial", as the motherboard performs well with heavy mkv files and other video in HD ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Intel EMGD driver for the gma3600 on Windows XP is what Linux people call a vesa driver. It generates a fake video bios with 16:9 resolutions (the default version), some of which are useful. It does no video decoding using the gma3600 decoder. Streaming flash videos with a "video properties" on the right click show "software acceleration" and "software decoding". You figure what that means. On the same computer running Windows 8 and the super video driver for Windows 7, your streaming flash claims "hardware acceleration" and "hardware decoding" on many, but not all, videos. For some reason, the accelerated driver seems to run much better on Windows 8 than on Windows 7. It uses graphics components that were introduced in Vista to enable Graphics 10, while Windows XP is a Graphics 9 at best system.

You forgot one factor: With the Intel chipset .inf driver, Windows XP runs much faster in general than Windows 7 or Windows 8. That partly compensates for the slowness of the EMGD graphics driver. You can also look for the advanced system properties in the System portion of the XP control panel, under visual effects, and turn off all the visual effects, meaning taking away the system overhead from graphics toys completely, something that also works in Windows 8.

What is really, really irksome is that I also own two gma500 museum pieces, a z510 and a z530, both from Compulab, and there is a gma500 graphics driver that gives video acceleration of the rotating cube variety on both of these computers. The downside is that you have to use the minimal close to 16:9 resolution that best fills your monitor screen, meaning 10-20% wasted screen area. But, the full screen streaming flash on the z510, steaming along at 1.1 gigglehertz, is a sight to behold. So, the question is, if you can get acceleration on the gma500 under Windows XP, why not the gma3600 as well?

Ever since I started asking that question, Intel has been cutting off my downloads.

As for Ubuntu, I tried 12.10 the release version, and it does Windows XP-style EMGD on the gma500 and flat refuses to run in HDMI or DVI modes on the gma3600. Even if you give in and go back to vga on your gma3600 to get Ubuntu to do its thing, all you get out of it is the same pseudo-vesa slow humbug that you get on Windows XP.

I don't know how Microsoft managed to get such an ugly operating system in Windows 8, because ugly best describes it. If Microsoft ever put in something that looked like a Windows XP "classic" style, in place of the modified Windows 95 style they now use, I'd say that swings the deal, and I'll go to Windows 8, hidden "shutdown reset" button and all. And, I maliciously copied the card games from my activated, validatged XP system, and I intend to install them in Windows 8 next chance I get.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks I used your configured driver for Windows XP. I have the same Acer Aspire One D270 netbook. I've managed to get everything installed, except for Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus, which I suspect is the HDMI Audio that would have been included in a working Intel GMA 3600 driver. I even got the function keys to work under XP except for brightness as this again has to do with lack of a basic Intel GMA 3600 driver.

But Broadcom Bluetooth, WiFi, Lan, Audio, Launch manager all installed correctly after some researching.

I wonder if it is at all possible to modify the Win 7 32-bit drivers to work under Windows XP. Obviously reduced to basic functionality, and modified API calls, no Aero functions of cause, which would be fine by me.

Still I didn't expect Intel's lack of support on this issue. Very disappointing. It's an eye opener for sure.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Strictly speaking the drivers are already here: They exist in the MeeGo operating system, whose latest version was something like July 12. If you are willing to accept the possibilities and limits of MeeGo, then installing it gives you a solid working Linux supported by Tizen, which is one of Linus's enterprises. Installing it is a matter of doing a series of loop mountings on a working Linux without full graphics support (of course), then copying the final version onto a spare disk parition or live flash pendrive stick. Note: you have to ADD 'video=LVDS-1:d' or it won't boot properly.

You can also take a working Linux partition and add the MeeGo 'adaptation-pc' kernel and modules in place of the native kernel, using the fbdev_drv.so graphics driver (which is cleverly missing in many modern systems, but can be gotten and compiled so far). It turns out that, not only will this hybrid system work, but it can work extremely well, running circles around what you get by copying the powervr graphics driver from MeeGo into your current system.

So, support exists, but it is not quite open source support.

The surprise is that the MeeGo 'adaptation-pc' kernel also works on Sandybridge systems, with the Intel open-source graphics driver seeing the kernel as a valid Intel framebuffer kernel, which uses the i965_drv.so graphics driver to provide direct rendering. Now, the reason that i965_drv.so works on Sandybridge is that the 'adaptation-pc' kernel provides a '/dev/dri/card0' in the '/dev' directory that provides direct rendering to the Sandybridge system using the i965 driver.

So, the question arises as to whether, on a Cedarview Intel board, the open-source Intel driver could be coaxed into recognizing the 'adaptation-pc' kernel and into using the i965 direct rendering driver to give a quick and dirty open source Cedarview with the fbdev_drv.so as the basic open-source code. Or, better, what is needed is an fbdev_drv.so extended to use the i965 in place of swrast on a conventional system with the 'adaptation-pc' kernel. This ought to result in an extremely fast and stable somewhat open-source driver with little extra effort.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

+1

yes, I would like to have this driver for xp to work with my new acer aspire one d270 n2800 with gma 3600

at the moment I find my 2 year old packardbell dot se atom n550 1500mhz with gma 3150 to run windows xp&7 just as good when using the netbook for audioprocessing

DPC latency checker shows better latency when using windows default gfx driver with gma 3600 in win7

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Michael Knudsen wrote:

DPC latency checker shows better latency when using windows default gfx driver with gma 3600 in win7

When the default 'Basic Video Adapter' driver performs better than the Intel GMA 3600 Series driver, that tells you all you need to know about the state of the official drivers at the moment!

/facepalm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi , I just bought HP mini 210-4007tu and decided to downgrade to winxp. It has Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 3650 and searched google for winxp drivers. I've found a driver but I guess it's not the official one. You can try if you want. Only issue I've found is that the brightness control is not working even if HP Quick Launch tool & .Net Framework 3.5SP1 is installed

http://www.4shared.com/zip/JIZnHKCV/Intel_Graphics_Media_Accelerat.html Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series - WinXP-x86.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - Febian Rachman

0 Kudos