Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Error code 31 Intel HD graphics 4000

Mo_3
Beginner

how to fix :
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Object Name not found."

My specs are:
HP Compaq pro 6300
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770
Intel HD graphics 4000
12 gb of ram
64x bit

I had recently got a NVIDIA GT 1030 (low profile) that I wanted to use along with the integrated Intel HD graphics 4000 I already had but, after 2 days of it running normally, my Intel HD graphics 4000 stopped working and kept showing "error code 31" in the 'details' tab in device manager. My NVIDIA GT 1030 still works perfectly fine but I notice some lag issues in games that weren't there when I first installed it. I have tried updating the drivers and restarting my PC countless times to no avail. 

Mo_3_0-1713631703642.pngMo_3_1-1713631762952.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Normally, Desktop BIOSs will default to automatically disabling the iGFX engine when a dGFX engine is detected as present. Verify that you have overridden this default and that the iGFX engine is set to always be enabled.
The other possibility is that the driver's configuration is screwed up and needs to be fixed. This is done by doing a clean install of the driver package. That is, with Internet access disabled, uninstall the existing driver, reboot and then install the latest driver package.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Mo_3
Beginner
I have tried your second solution only to meet failure countless times with the same error code.

As for the first solution I don’t quite understand how to do any of it. Would you mind giving me a step by step process on how to do it?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

How this is presented in BIOS Setup varies from one vendor to another, so I can only present this in abstract fashion. You need to go into BIOS Setup and change the configuration for the iGFX engine from Auto (or Disabled) to Enabled

Try following this general algorithm for doing the driver clean install:

1. Download - but do not install just yet - the new driver package from the Intel site. Here is link to download page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18606/intel-graphics-driver-for-windows-15-33.html.
  2. Very important! Disconnect system from Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless. Note: if using Wireless, it should be disabled in such a way that reboots can occur without it automatically re-enabling.
  3. In the Apps and Features applet, check to see if there is an Intel HD Graphics or Intel Graphics entry. If not, skip to Step 6.
  4. Click on the Intel HD Graphics or Intel Graphics entry and select Uninstall.
  5. Reboot the system, keeping Internet access disconnected.
  6. From Device Manager, check if there is an entry for an Intel Graphics adapter. If you see only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, skip to Step 9.
  7. Right-click on the entry for the Intel Graphics adapter and select Uninstall Device. Checkmark Delete the driver software for this device and then click on the Uninstall button.
  8. Go back to step 5.
  9. Install the new driver package that you downloaded in Step 1.
  10. Reboot the system.
  11. Reconnect Internet access.
  12. Test.

Depending upon the history of your Windows/Drivers installation, it may take multiple uninstall (and reboot) cycles to clean out the old installations, so don’t give up on the process. If you get to, say, 10 cycles, stop there and attempt the installation of the downloaded driver package.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos