Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Extending laptop display to 2 monitors with Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

CBerr10
Beginner

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude E7270. OS Windows 10.

Processor info: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @2.60GHz, 2808 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).

Graphics card info: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520. Driver version 20.19.15.4454. Driver date 05/04/2016. DirectX version 12 (FL 12.1). Physical location PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0.

I am trying to extend the display of my laptop screen to 2 monitors. I also have a Targus DisplayLink docking station. But when I connect it all up, either the monitors keep disconnecting every 5-10 minutes or they don't connect at all. I have updated the DisplayLink drivers which did not resolve the issue.

My laptop has 2 video outputs, 1 mini DisplayPort and 1 HDMI. So I also tried connecting the laptop with one each of these into each monitor. In my display settings, I can see all 3 screens (including laptop screen) but the 3rd monitor is blank. So I am guessing either my graphics card does not support the 2nd external monitor, or that those ports on the laptop are not both meant to be used and it's one or the other.

Is there anything you can advise here to either get the dock working with both external screens or to get the 2 ports on my laptop working?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Claire

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried doing this without using the dock? Some docks end up sharing a DP channel and thus can interfere with each other.

...S

0 Kudos
CBerr10
Beginner

Hi Scott, yes I tried without the dock. See the 2nd part of my message:

"My laptop has 2 video outputs, 1 mini DisplayPort and 1 HDMI. So I also tried connecting the laptop with one each of these into each monitor. In my display settings, I can see all 3 screens (including laptop screen) but the 3rd monitor is blank. So I am guessing either my graphics card does not support the 2nd external monitor, or that those ports on the laptop are not both meant to be used and it's one or the other."

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's what I have seen elsewhere. If both of these monitors have DisplayPort inputs and at least one of them has a daisy-chain (output) port, you could connect the two monitors to the DisplayPort output daisy-chained. Alternatively, you could try using an MST Hub to connect the two monitors. Here's examples of a MST Hub devices:

Note that I use these as examples; I have not tried them myself. Note also that these monitors will be sharing the bandwidth of a single DisplayPort channel. This means that 4K monitors will only work at 30Hz, but 2K monitors will work at 60Hz.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
CBerr10
Beginner

I don't see any ports on the monitors that specifically say "Output" on them. So unless some of the inputs are also outputs?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If there are two DP ports on the monitor, check the OSD to see if there is a way to configure one as an output.

Have you tried connecting one monitor via the dock and one via the DP (or HDMI) connector?

...S

0 Kudos
CBerr10
Beginner

There are 1 DP, 1 usbc display port, and 1 hdmi on my main monitor and I don't see an option in the OSD to configure any of them as an output.

Yes I have tried one monitor through the dock and one straight into the laptop with HDMI, but it still won't pick up the monitor going through the dock at all.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, you still have the option of trying a MST Hub. If you purchase one and it doesn't work, you can always return it.

...S

0 Kudos