Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

External Graphic monitor with 10-bit(8-bit+FRC)/QHD/60 Hz on Intel UHD Graphics 620 possible?

WolfgangS
Novice

I just had asked a question about using my notebook (with Intel UHD Graphics 620) with a 10-bit monitor at 4k UHD resolution that was answered well by Andrew from Intel Customer Support: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Graphic-monitor-for-Intel-UHD-Graphics-620/m-p/1206342#M89536

The bottomline was that the Intel UHD Graphics 620 supports only monitors that have panels with "native" 10-bit resolution, not 10-bit resolution achieved via 8-bit+FRC (although it is hard to imagine for me how the graphic cards knows the procedure how the  monitor implements the 10-bit resolution)...

In the meantime I also contacted Lenovo, the manufacturer of the notebook (see their answer at the end of my question): 4k UHD at 10-bit and 60 Hz is too much for the DisplayPort 1.2 that my hardware configuration offers...

Therefore I am tending to go for a 27" monitor with QHD and 10-bit resolution (BenQ SW270c), that seems more appropriate for my hardware configuration. It is not clear from the technical specifications, however, whether this monitor has a "native" 10-bit panel or realizes the 10-bit resolution via 8-bit + FRC (BenQ does not state and different resources/reviews give different answers). I contacted BenQ about this, but they did not answer (nor do other manufacturers clearly state how 10-bit are produced on specific models). It is also not possible to go here to a shop that has the monitor in stock and just test out.

Therefore my question: Is it possible to run a monitor with 10 bit (via 8-bit+FRC) with QHD resolution at 60 Hz on Intel UHD Graphics 620?

Thanks, Wolfgang

Dear Mr. Schreibmayer,

the GPU on your processor, an Intel UHD 620 supports a 10 bit color output. You should use either Thunderbolt 3 or a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort for this.
We have to warn you in advance, however, as your device only supports DisplayPort 1.2 via Thunderbolt, not every configuration is possible. 10 bit, 4k at 60Hz or more is not supported. A lower resolution or a lower heart count should work.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

WolfgangS, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, just to let you know the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 does support 8-bit, 10-bit and 12-bit but it will depend on the Operating System, the monitor and the application being used to reflect that is working for example at 10-bit. In the following link you will find more details about this topic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057279.html

So, the only way to know if you will be able to use the 4k UHD at 10-bit and 60 Hz resolution is by checking with the manufacturer of the monitor directly to confirm if it has panels with "native" 10-bit resolution or if it works with 10-bit resolution via 8-bit + FRC, you mentioned that you already try to contact them, but the will be able only ones to confirm that.

Also, even if they confirm the monitor has panels with "native" 10-bit resolution, still, you will not be able to see that neither on Windows* Display Settings nor in the Intel® Graphics Command Center, you will be able to confirm that by using an application that requires the "native" 10-bit resolution of the monitor to work properly and if you use the proper cable and driver you should be able to achieve it with no problems.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
WolfgangS
Novice

Thank you Alberto, for the informative response...

#1.: It looks that 10-bit/4k UHD/60 Hz is possible, but borderline for the Intel UHD Graphics 620. But the bottleneck is the Thunderbold on Display Port 1.2 on my notebook that does not support 10-bit/4k UHD/60 Hz alltogether.

#2.: A second complication is the driver of the Intel UHD Graphics 620 that does not allow to manually set to 10-bit, but detects the display automatically. According to Andrew from Intel, "native" 10-bit panels are detected as such, but 10-bit via "FRC" are detected as 8-bit and operated at 8-bit.

Is it known whether problem #2 is really existing (there are very few "native" 10-bit panels available and the question is whether the manufactureres specifications are correct) and whether it still persists, when the monitor is operated at lower resolution, i.e. WQHD resolution (2560x1440 pixel)?

I fear the only way to find out is to order a monitor (because of problem #1 it will be BenQ SW270c, that has WQHD resolution) and test it out with the specific hardware I have here...

In case it is possible to shed more light on that issues #1 and #2, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Wolfgang

0 Kudos
WolfgangS
Novice

I have an update to this topic regarding BenQ monitors for photographers:

BenQ Europe just told me that all their SW-type monitors have 10-bit that is realized via 8-bit+FRC.

I conclude therefore that 4k UHD (BenQ SW321c or BenQ SW271) it is not possible, because of the (i) driver of the Intel UHD 620 in Windows 10 and (ii) the Thunderbold on Display Port 1.2 on my notebook...

But what about BenQ SW270c (WQHD/8-bit+FRC/60Hz)?

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @WolfgangS 

Technically you could manually switch to 10-bit (when done via 8-bit + dithering) through the Operating System controls -> Display Settings -> Windows HD Color -> Turn on 'Play HDR games and apps'. The caveat here is the display must support HDR as well.

As Andrew pointed out in the previous thread, Intel is working on an enhancement to our Intel Graphics Command Center to allow users manual control of the preferred color depth, which in most scenarios should allow switching to 10-bit color depth (potentially even if it is implemented via 8-bit + dithering). The bad news is we don't have an ETA for said update, nor can't we commit on all the details regarding its final implementation.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
WolfgangS
Novice

Thank you for the reply, this sounds good as both SW270c and SW321c have HDR10 capabity.

I think I can risk to purchase one of these monitors (likely the SW270c as this has WQHD resolution and will not be a problem for the Display Port 1.2, as 4k UHD is)...

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

WolfgangS, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Yes, as long as the monitor supports HDR it should work as it was mentioned by RonaldM_Intel on his previous post.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
WolfgangS
Novice

It seems that HDR mode is not good to use for photoediting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGJeRJVlRkI&feature=youtu.be

=> BenQ monitors are practically unusable on my Lenovo Thinkpad with Intel UHD 620 Graphics and Displayport 1.2. 😞

=> According to the valuable info I got here and from Lenovo and BenQ, I need to reserach now for a hardware calibrateable monitor with native 10-bit and variable refresh frequency (adjustable to < 60 Hz). Who would have belived that purchasing a monitor for photoediting is so complicated? ...

eventually the Asus PA 329C or PA 32UC will meet these requirements...

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello WolfgangS, Thank you very much for your comments/

Yes, hopefully, the Asus PA 329C or PA 32UC will meet these requirements eventually.

We hope the information posted previously was helpful and useful for you, if you have more questions or need further assistance, please let us know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos