Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

External Monitor no longer operates in isolated mode

chetty
Novice

I have an AMW monitor, a Dell Latitude E5540 64 bit laptop running Windows 10, and an Intel graphics card.  The monitor use to work fine but will now only operate in duplicate mode. It blacks out when attempts are made to run by itself.  Have a older Dell Precision laptop running XP and a Nividia graphics card and the monitor runs in isolated mode just fine with that system. What might be the problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
chetty
Novice

Is there a refresh limit on a graphics card?  I can run in duplicate mode with the built in video with a refresh rate of 40 hz and the digital screen at 60, but if i set the digital screen at 75 hz, the screen goes black just like it does when I run the digital screen by itself.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello chetty,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• Was there any change before the issue started? Any hardware upgrade or software/OS update?
  • What is the full model of your monitor?
  • What cable are you using to connect the monitor to the laptop (e.g. HDMI, DP, USB-C, etc.)?

As well, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
chetty
Novice

There was no hardware upgrades or changes. There probably was an operating system change made as they have become frequent.

The model of the monitor is AMW F199

The cable is VGA to the laptop

A brief history:

I had used this monitor for at least the last 7 years to relieve the video screen of the laptop. For some time I would see a high frequency wave form supper imposed in sections of the screen display, but it was not that bad so I continued to use the monitor.  Just recently the monitor became unusable as the picture screen turned somewhat white and then would fade to black starting at the center and spreading out until the whole screen is black.  I did a complete change out of the electrolytic capacitors and found at least 2 that were dead. When I tried to use the monitor after the repairs, it still did the screen black out routine. 

I have now found some weird behavior.  I have an old Dell Precision Laptop running on XP3 with a NVidia graphic card and the monitor works fine when hooked up this laptop.  With my new Dell Latitude laptop, the monitor now appears sensitive to "refresh rate".  Whenever the monitor is initially brought on line, it chooses a 75p hz refresh rate with the black screen as a result. I found that if I manually change the refresh rate to 60 the monitor screen comes back to life.  I first noticed this when the laptop and monitor were in duplicate mode. I have since found that when first switching to extended format, the monitor again selected 75 rate and screen blacked out. Manually switching this to 60 brought the screen back to life.  My only problem is when going to the monitor screen only operation it apparently is again selecting 75 refresh rate and I have no useable screens available to manually make the change to 60.  I have ordered a dual VGA connector to see if I can have a good monitor along with the AMW monitor active to make the final selection.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.

In order to continue with some troubleshooting steps, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Steven G.

0 Kudos
chetty
Novice

Steven,

Before I download and run the link provided, is there any particular operating arrangement regarding the troubled monitor? Like do you want it connected and running in duplicate or extended mode?  

0 Kudos
chetty
Novice

Just discovered the solution.  I hooked in a small VGA extension and now everything works fine.  There must be some slight ware in the VGA connectors as changing the interface between the monitor connector and the laptop connector corrected the problem. Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos