Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Failed RAID 5 array, Unbootable. RAID BIOS asking to recover? ICH10R.

idata
Employee

I have ASUS P6T Deluxe mobo, Vista Ult, 6gb, 3 300GB Velociraptors in RAID 5.

RAID 5 failed. Again.

I was applying Windows Updates. A few minutes into the process, I got a pop-up saying one of the members had died. Darn. OK, I'll order a new one.

a few minutes later, BSOD. Hunh? "Windows has shut down to prevent hardware damage" (or words to that effect). Hmmm.

Reboot.

Now, _two_ members are marked as failed in the RAID 5 screen.

ICH10R controller.

My choices in the RAID bios panel are limited, and basically include "Failed raid volume detected. recover volume?" or formatting and starting over.

The mahine is unbootable, so I can't tell you specific versions, other than that the system was installed with all latest drivers last year - (the last time the RAID 5 failed!). The Matrix Storage Manager is at v8.0.0.1038 (quite old, based on what I've been reading here, esp. w.r.t. the Matrix Manager dropping RAID volumes discussion.)

Anyway, at this point, the machine is unbootable, two members are reported as failed, I suspect software rather than hardware due to the timing with regard to the updates, and I would DEARLY like to recover the system rather than starting over from scratch.

Any suggestions on how I can recover the drives? Just hit 'Y' and hope for the best?

Thanks for any info.

0 Kudos
0 Replies