Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20841 Discussions

False multiple monitors with intel drivers

JMade4
Novice

I have an Asus UX501J that use Intel HD Graphics 4600. Usually I connect 2 extra monitors. Today I came back to my computer and all displays was in chaos. My main screen was in 4K duplicated with some other screen that do not exist. In total my driver is telling me I have 7 monitors. See my screen dump. No use to update the driver. This is the latest.

126 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Ronald,

Hopefully things are going well for you and the graphics team. It can't be easy dancing around Microsoft's driver management. Is the recent release of the 4835 driver the one your refer to in your July post? It looks like a few reports have come in positive but I'm fairly gun-shy now with willy-nilly driver installs since Windows Update _really_ wants to use the update catalog.

If it is the one we have been waiting for is there a roadmap for inclusion into the Windows Update Catalog or are we kinda on our own for another long period of time?

Thanks for the efforts,

Thell

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Windows Update Catalog does seem to have an entry (multiple actually) for the 4835 driver but it isn't listing for all of the impacted devices. I see it listed for the HD 5500 and 6000; even the 620 and 630. The listings are posted 10/17/2017. Kudos for that by the way, getting them on the catalog so quick.

What about the other impacted devices? Like the HD 4600?

Are we waiting for something? Is it already there, but misnamed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Ronald_Intel would you please post an update to this thread? Its been a long while and there are still a few questions about the 15.40 driver recently released, like::

Windows Update Catalog does seem to have an entry (multiple actually) for the 4835 driver but not for all of the _active_ intel display devices in the family. The HD 5500 and 6000 along with 620 and 630 are listed. The listings are posted 10/17/2017. Kudos for that by the way, getting them on the catalog so quick but what about the other impacted devices? Like the HD 4600?

Are we waiting for something? Is it already there, but misnamed? Will the others not be updated in the catalog because of some more testing? What's going on?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I would like to confirm that we have a fix for this issue in our latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27267 15.40.37.4835 driver.

Please try it out and let us know if it works for you.

I would also like to thank you for all your patience while dealing with this issue.

As for the inclusion of this driver in the Windows Catalog, I believe the build was delivered to Microsoft already and they are already rolling it out. I'll try to gather more precise details and post them here. Please keep in mind that this driver is only for Braswell/Cherry Trail, 4th and 5th generation graphics.

Edit 12/29/2017: We have received confirmation from users that 15.40.37.4835 fixes this issue. If you already tried with this driver and yet the issue persists, please submit create a new thread using this /thread/77761 bug report template.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
MP14
Beginner

Hi,

4835 did not work for me. The issues came back when it was installed. 😕

I rolled it back to 20.19.15.4416

0 Kudos
PShee
Beginner

The 4835 driver is working for me with Hyper-V and the Win10 Fall Creators update.

0 Kudos
DChap3
Novice

In case anyone is interested I've just tried the new drivers 4703 and they do not fix the issue. Guess we are waiting for another version.

0 Kudos
DGood7
Beginner

I updated to the new drivers and it made no difference.

The multiple ghost moitors are still present when enabling Hyper-V.

There is no problem when Hyper-V is disabled.

0 Kudos
MvanN
Beginner

With the new driver the problem still exists. But when you install the Windows driver, 10.18.15.4256 17-7-2015, the problem is solved. (with the use of Hyper-V)

0 Kudos
PShee
Beginner

I'm trying to use Docker but ran into this problem. I saw the original post from January and thought to myself, "Great, that was 8 months ago. Intel surely has fixed this problem by now with such a widely used tool such as Hyper-V". Unfortunately I was disappointed to find out that this is not the case once I got to page 6 of this thread.

I saw that one work around is to install version 4463 of the driver. Is this version available for download? I see a thread announcing this version but the links no longer work and 4463 doesn't show up on my download page.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

DockerUser, I don't recall 4463 as being a usable work-around if you desire things to actually work with video control panel, external video and hyper-v. As far as my current understanding of the situation goes the only real method we have of things working is when we enable/disable hyper-v on boot, then video would work as expected for that session. Its a bad situation made worse by the lack of updates.

As a fellow docker user I feel your pain and it is only made worse by Windows 10 desire to either fully control the drivers or be left out of driver control completely. I don't even think Intel can just post a public test driver that will stick through a Windows update until it actually gets into Microsoft's catalog. A hard spot for Intel to be in. For now I and some others are just using older (and less powerful) systems for hyper-v and docker work.

0 Kudos
CShie
Beginner

Latest issue version is 4703 (July 31, 2017) and as noted above this does not fix the issue. What is the timeline for the fix, and in what version can we expect it?

It is now blocking our ability to use Hyper-V / Docker which was a future strategy for our organization. We now have to look at what video cards / drivers are supplied with any new hardware so we can avoid this issue, and choose hardware that has Hyper-V supported drivers.

Mde_W2
Beginner

I too would really like an update on drivers - I have an application that doesn't work on my current drivers (OpenGL error, driver 10.18.15.4271, HD Graphics 4600).

Updated drivers fix the OpenGL error (thank you Intel!) but I can no longer use my laptop to host meetings, give presentations etc, as all external connectivity is completely messed up. As a developer, I require both working OpenGL and Hyper-V. Intel, please get your act together!

MM7
Beginner

Hey, I had a similar but not quite same problem. The intel driver was creating a virtual monitor for my laptop giving it a black screen. My post:

All of a sudden it's begun to work again but I'm posting this in case it helps someone else.

0 Kudos
PShee
Beginner

Matt7598 I had the same problem with the latest drivers. When I had my laptop in the dock I could use my external screens (still with the fake monitor problem). When I removed the laptop from the docking station the monitor screen was blank and nothing would appear on it. When I rebooted I could see the BIOS info and the initial Windows logo, but once the laptop finished booting it was completely unusable because the screen wasn't working. Once I removed Hyper-V everything went back to normal.

0 Kudos
IHabl
Beginner

Hi all. I have same problem with latest Intel drivers and just used drivers from windows update. The problem is solved for me with this driver.

0 Kudos
MM7
Beginner

My black screen came back....This is aggravating. I tried letting windows update run and just ended up with another black screen. In order to use my computer I have to disable the intel driver. I'm not at home so I don't know if it's creating a virtual monitor again but I would assume so. I've attached a pic with the driver options I have installed. These are the latest ones from intel and from windows update. The same thing happens with drivers from the acer website.

If anyone knows how to get rid of this virtual monitor let me know. This is absurd.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Windows updated itself overnight with Fall Creators Update.

Now my entire system seems borked. I'm not even able to revert and install the old(security risk) driver anymore.

Every time I try and update the display drivers, it times out. I've tried every trick I know including DDU but I'm stuck with a VGA basic adapter and no ability to install Intel GPU driver.

There has been more than enough time to get this updated and tested during insider releases? What is the problem?

Please assist.

Thanks

MMill23
Beginner

@habl - same here.. I installed that update yesterday.. after reboot all my screens were black. I needed to power off the PC by holding the power button for few seconds.. Now when I started the PC the creators update was uninstalled and all screens were visible.

I also get bluescreens when hyper-v is enabled (at least 3 a week) but thats a different story I guess and has nothing in common with intel. (not sure)

0 Kudos
PLast
Beginner

I'm getting the same issues using Hyper-V and/or VMware Workstation.

I've experimented with both Hyper-V and VMware being installed/enabled, and the same issues occur - Multiple ghost monitors, and slow performance in the Chrome browser to the point of it being unusable (Extensions fail to start, pages will not load and eventually give the non-responsive page error). If I set up Chrome to run using the separate Nvidia graphics card on my laptop with Hyper-V or VMware enabled, these issues do not occur.

If I uninstall Hyper-V, the system returns to normal.

If I right-click and disable the VMware Network Adapters in Control Panel, the system returns to normal.

0 Kudos
MM7
Beginner

Unfortunately for me I don't have Hyper-V or VMware installed. Sigh.

0 Kudos