Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Firefox crashes display driver 6912.

Parapele
New Contributor I

Hello everybody! Some time ago i started experienced driver crashes, and i think last stable driver was 6709(8?).

Exactly this problem was brought up here, but sadly at that time nothing was done.

I has the same message couple times - "Windows had prevented Firefox from accessing Intel GPU." which appears because Firefox keeps crashing driver again and again.

Due random nature i wasn't able report sooner and keeping struggle with crashes. Only disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available" in options helps. So i decide find some heavy benchmark website that maybe will crash driver, and here i am. So i have Windows 10 1903, Firefox 67.0.4 64 bit, i3 6100 and 6912 driver (see attachment).

To reproduce driver crash you need to go http://webvizbench.com/Default.htm?skipdetect run benchmark - and wait until driver crash, if it doesn't crash - run again and again.

Next website that crash driver http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/

Here the same, run benchmark and wait for crash, repeat if it doesn't crash.

I don't know if this is the same bug or two separate problem, i just hope if they will be fixed - random driver crashes will go away. And if this is can help you, i also managed reproduce driver crash in Microsoft Edge on these two website - so this is not only Firefox related.

2019-07-01 03_29_04.jpg

50 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Firefox runs fine on all of my machines, from 4th gen to 8th gen processors, with W10 1903, and with 6912.

No, I am not using the websites that cause your crashes. If I were you, I would be complaining to those websites and mozilla, as this is not an Intel problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Intel screw up something in driver around 6618-6709, and now instead fixing driver, i should go to... who? Mozilla? Microsoft? All websites that use WebGL(HTML5)? SERIOUSLY? It's like if your car broken and you go to some road departament instead car repair center. Logic!? And reaction on support forum "Works for me" even with no checking... just wow. I better wait Intel support, thanks.

ASant85
Beginner

I am having the same exact issue. I came here to find out what is going on with this driver. I have all the latest drivers installed, Latest BIOS, Latest Version of Firefox... im up to date on EVERYTHING.

I have the latest version of Windows 10... 1903

Updated my Graphics 620 driver... 23.20.16.4973

I5 - 7200U Processor

Firefox 67.0.4 64bit

Could this be an issue between the 620 driver version and the new Windows 10 version? I see on the HP support page... it has my 620 Driver version listed as (Windows 10 v1809)

HP SUPPORT

===========

Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1809) <========== Specifically says 1809... when we both have Windows 10 v1903

23.20.16.4973 Rev.L

328.5 MB

May 24, 2018

I don't see a version specifically for 1903 build.

My problem is specifically Facebook. I see someone had the SAME EXACT ISSUE here in THIS thread... but it was never fixed.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004KjpxrSAB/facebook-in-firefox-flashes-and-blinks-then-images-disappears-help?language=en_US

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Parapele

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

With the information that you have provided this seems to be related to Firefox and the information provided by Al Hill is correct, it is recommended to report this issue with Mozilla if this behavior on it happens with this browser.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Alright guys, let's stop screwing around, and face it:

This is not Windows update fault, because driver crashed for me on 1809 and after i updated to 1903

Previously on old drivers all works fine

First driver with bug 6861, i remember this because official support OpenGL 4.6 API, and i was thinking "damit Intel broke driver but i don't want rollback and lose new OpenGL support"

I just tested Firefox 64.0.2 (January 9, 2019) and here result

2019-07-02 15_20_54.jpg

Driver crashes with TWO DIFFERENT web browser with TWO DIFFERENT engine, Firefox and Edge (based on Chrome 70).

I already done more than should, i not interested who is fault - Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, aliens from the mars.

You has source code, they have source code - congratulation!!! You can find together what a problem and fix it!

Leonardo, please am begging you, report this problem to driver engineers.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Parapele

Thank you for the details about the issue and the system configuration, I am noticing that you have an Intel® Core™ i3-6100 Processor does supports OpenGL® 4.5 and you are using OpenGL® 4.6, can you try using the system with OpenGL® 4.5 and test the system?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Okay, this is odd way to ask find what exact driver version all this started.

I runed both test at least 3 times in Firefox 67.0.4, hardware acceleration was on. Now i know that these two website expose exact problem that random crash driver.

Here results

6577 OK.

6618 OK. 6 runs (12 in total), none single crash.

6708 crash on both websites, first driver that introduced bug.

6709 crash on both websites.

6861 crash on both websites.

6890 crash on both websites.

6912 crash on both websites.

Leonardo, if you not send bug report to engineers after this post, send in this topic other tech support person, because im done here.

PS: if this is support what discrete GPU will gets, it gonna be DOA.

Parapele
New Contributor I

Hi Leonardo! Just if you wonder, on Firefox 68 no changes.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Why do you not try previous versions of Firefox?

Doc

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Al, i did. You dont readed tread carefully. Firefox 64.0.2 from jan 9 2019 give the same results, Microsoft Edge that based on Chrome 70 give the same results. This is not browser related problem. I dont know why you keep thinking that way.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, you said you tested 67.0.4 on the seven versions of the graphics driver. You did not test 64.0.2 in the same manner. Nor did you test more than two versions of Firefox. You need to test fairly and carefully before you spout off unproven claims for two benchmark sites, which may be loaded with viruses designed to cause such failures or corruption.

I do not know why you have such an attitude about this. You have reported the problem, Intel is looking at it, yet you continue with the attitude and bashing.

A little patience and calm will go a long way.

Doc

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Al, i spent 2 hours on this. No, i not will test all version all possible web browser with all driver versions.

WebVizBench was made for Microsoft by Stimulab -

"In collaboration with Microsoft and Seattle radio station KEXP, Stimulant created WebVizBench.com, an animated and interactive radio playlist visualization and benchmarking application written entirely in HTML5, optimized for Microsoft IE9, and tweaked to harness the power of GPU-enhanced Web browsing."

CanvasMark 2013 was made by Kevin Roast, and it is opensource.

Because you trying make me look like i push some sites with viruses here, i understand you even not visited them. Rhetoric question: why you keep this discussion?

When i reported about problem (that seems like already was reported) i get: its not a driver, go away and yep definitely not a driver. If "it is recommended to report this issue with Mozilla" means "Intel is looking at it" then ok...

Al, let's end this discussion, you not interested to help and i don't want continue this.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am helping. I have visited the sites. I do not experience any problems with 6912, and the current firefox, on my 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th gen processors with windows 10 pro 1903.

The are always variables to every problem. You may have something else installed that is adding to the issue or creating the issue. If you do not want to continue this, then you have that choice.

Also, Optimized for IE9 is nothing to tout. As a matter of fact, in today's world, it is laughable.

I am willing to admit I am wrong about this. Are you?

Doc

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Parapele

Thank for the update.

I will go ahead and attempt to reproduce the issue on my end.

I would like to confirm if the following steps are accurate:

1. Install driver 26.20.100.6912

2. Open a web browser: Firefox or Edge

3. Visit http://webvizbench.com/Default.htm?skipdetect or http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/

4. Run the benchmark and wait until it crashes (if it doesn't crash - run again and again)

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Yes, all correct. Also check Event Viewer, it will show driver crash in System logs.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Parapele

Thank you for the details allow me to try that on my end, I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Just for your information: I can confirm this bug completely! After updating 3 systems to the driver version .6912, I recognized display errors in Firefox on all 3 systems and also found the mentioned error messages in the Event Viewer. (It is not related to the Windows version, it occurs under 1803 and 1903.)

[Intel HD Graphics 520/530, Windows 10 Pro 1803/1903, Firefox 67/68]

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello APMichael

Thank you for the update I will be posting back as soon as is have an update.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello everybody

I completed the testing on my end with the following set up:

·        Intel® HD graphics 620/630 driver: 6912

·        Windows®  10 1903

·        Microsoft® Edge 44.18362.1.0

·        Firefox 68..0.1

And is run the benchmarks on http://webvizbench.com/Default.htm?skipdetect and http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/ and I did not have any crash in both of Internet browsers.

You can try using Firefox 68..0.1 and if the behavior still persists you can try contacting the OEM to check for any possible customization on the system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

A Contingent Worker at Intel