Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Firmware Update Disabled eGPU

mallbritton
Beginner

Today I was notified that there was a firmware update available for my NUC. The update was 6.2.8319.85. After installing the firmware update and rebooting, my eGPU no longer works. It is hidden in the Device Manager. 

My set up is a Intel Core i5-8259U CPU @ 2.30 GHZ, a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box with an NVIDIA GeForce GFX 1060 installed. 

I can't get the system to recognize the eGPU anymore and I need this to work for my work. 

Best regards, 
Michael Allbritton 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mallbritton
Beginner

After multiple attempts to uninstall/install the Thunderbolt drivers now the port just won't show up at all in device manager. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @mallbritton

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1. The firmware update you mentioned (firmware 6.2.8319.85) was an update for the Thunderbolt™ bus or any other device?
  2. How did you receive the update? Was it through Windows® Update Service or Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?
  3. Are you getting an error message or error code?
  4. Please provide screenshots from Device Manager showing the eGPU "as a hidden device".
  5. Have you tested the eGPU on another system?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mallbritton
Beginner

Hello, @AndrewG_Intel

1/2. The firmware update in question came in through the Windows Update service and there was no real information as to what it was for. Windows Update just told me it would be installed on the next reboot. So I finished up what I was doing and restarted. I've attached a screen shot from the update history. 

3. There are no error messages. 

4. Attached are two screen shots of the device manager. One does not show the NVIDIA driver, the other shows it after pulling down the View menu and selecting "show hidden devices." So the drivers are still installed. But because the Thunderbolt port on the NUC is no longer active the eGPU is not recognized. 

5. Unfortunately I do not have any other way to test the eGPU. However, I do not believe that is necessary as the system was working perfectly before the firmware update. 

I have attached the results of the scan you requested as a .txt file, as well as a screen shot of the device manager showing where the Thunderbolt controller SHOULD be, but is not. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello mallbritton

Thank you very much for all the information provided. We would like first to confirm if basic troubleshooting has been performed. Please kindly check the following recommendations:

1- Set BIOS defaults on the Intel NUC (please take note of any special setting before trying this)

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Press F9 to load default settings.
  3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

2- Check the Thunderbolt option in BIOS:

• Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  • Go to Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices.
  • Check that the Thunderbolt Controller is enabled.
  • Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

3- Install the latest Thunderbolt™ 3 DCH Driver for Windows® 10, Version: 1.41.1015.0

How to install: 

3.1- Download this driver package and unzip it to a folder on the Intel NUC.

3.2- Connect a Thunderbolt device to the Thunderbolt port.

3.3- Uninstall any previous existing Thunderbolt Software. This should also uninstall the driver.

• Open the Start menu and click Settings.
  • Select Apps & features.
  • Select Thunderbolt Software and click Uninstall.

3.4- Browse to and select the folder where you unzipped the driver package.

3.5- Right-click on all four .inf files and select Install:

• TbtHostController.inf
  • TbtHostControllerHsaComponent.inf
  • TbtHostControllerToastComponent.inf
  • TbtP2pNdisDrv.inf

3.6- Go to the Microsoft* Store and try installing the Thunderbolt Control Centerapp available on the Microsoft* Store. (The app may automatically install without you having to launch the installer on the Store.)

4- Install the latest driver for the NVIDIA GeForce GFX 1060*. Uninstall the current GPU drivers, and then perform a clean fresh driver install.

Set the power mode in the NVIDIA* control panel to Maximum Performance. Go to 3D Setting > Global Setting > Power Management Setting > Maximum Performance.

5- Check if there is a firmware update available for Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box*

6- Things to check in Windows:

Confirm Windows® 10 is current by using the Windows Update feature.

In Windows Power & Sleep Settings, turn off PCI Link Power Management:

1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
    1. Select Change Plan Settings.
    2. Select Change Advanced Power Settings.
    3. Go to PCI Express > Link State Power Management.
    4. Set On Battery and Plugged In to Off.
    5. Click OK.

7- Check the Thunderbolt™ cable and if possible try another cable and please avoid using a dongle or video adapter

8- Also, are you able to try a Windows® restore point previous to the firmware update was installed? We recommend contacting Microsoft® for more accurate instructions.

If the issue persists, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
mallbritton
Beginner

@AndrewG_Intel

I actually had already done all of that. I found the steps in another thread. This morning I wiped the SSD of the NUC and reinstalled Win10Pro from scratch. After applying all the updates available from Windows Update I started on your steps again. 

1. I reset the BIOS to defaults. 
  2. I made sure the Thunderbolt Controller was enabled in the BIOS. 
  3. I downloaded the package of drivers for this model of NUC from this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126140/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7BEH. After downloading that package I first installed the tbt_legacy-win10-64-17.4.77.400 drivers. The Thunderbolt port did not show up in Device Manager. I then attempted to install the tbt_win10_64_1.41.1015.0 drivers, following your instructions. However on the TbtHostControllerToastComponent.inf file I got an error message that the system cannot find the file specified. The Thunderbolt port still does not show up in Device Manager. Even with a Thunderbolt cable plugged into the port. 

According to the Sonnet support web site there aren't any firmware updates available for the model of breakaway box I have. However I couldn't apply them anyway since I can't presently access the box. 

Unfortunately, at the moment, I do not have another Thunderbolt cable. But I do not believe the cable is the problem since my system was working perfectly before the firmware update from Intel was installed. However I will procure another cable and give it a try. 

At this time the Thunderbolt port on the NUC STILL does not work. 

0 Kudos