Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20647 Discussions

Fortnite is literally unplayable on intel iris xe

Harryincorrect
New Contributor I

Hey there. 
So a year back, I tried fortnite on intel iris xe. So practically speaking, the game has 3 runways,
Performance mode
Dx11 
Dx12

DX11 was extremely stuttery. Performance mode on the other hand could give 120 fps straight while dx12 could give 70 fps and worked decent. Pretty happy with it.

2 months later, stuff went bad.
Performance mode was massacred. It wouldn't render properly, and there were stutters EVERYWHERE. Point your camera at the ground, and no problem,  with fps going to whopping 200s. Point somewhere above or just play the game normally, fps starts going like: 200 45 32 42 12 11 10 35, and so on. Made a post about this and they told it'd get fixed (didn't get fixed after a year although gotta admit, there's definitely an improvement. However still unplayable). Played dx12 meanwhile and started loving it a lot more than performance mode.

Then some months back, epic games, the creator of Fortnite pushed the game from unreal engine 5 to unreal engine 5.1. And this is where it goes out of hand.
UE 5 can run dx12 ONLY on graphics cards with an above shader model 6 and unfortunately iris xe has shader model 5.1. This kind of meant that the game itself would not allow players to run the pc on dx12, limiting us to dx11 and performance mode. As I said before,  dx11 is unplayable and performance mode, well, improved but unplayable.
@Xillvion posted about this and finally told it'd get fixed.

Still not fixed.
It'd be cool if you could do something about this since if all future games started using ue5.1>= intel iris xe is going to have to go downhill. The game is entirely unplayable. Just try it.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Harryincorrect

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry that you are experiencing performance issues when trying to play Fortnite on your system with Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics.

This issue is currently being investigated based on the feedback and troubleshooting captured on your previous thread with the title Insane stuttering in fortnite performance mode. Given the recent update that you mentioned in which Fortnite was upgraded to only use Unreal Engine 5, I will check internally and see if there is an update regarding this issue. I will post back once I have more information for you.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Harryincorrect
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot, will be looking forward to your response. BTW fortnite has been upgraded to only use unreal engine 5.1 which means that dx12 cannot be run since ue 5.1 goes with only graphics cards with shader model 6 and above.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Harryincorrect

Thank you for your patience. In regards to this issue, our driver developer team is still investigating the problem, at the moment we cannot provide a specific time for a fix to come out, however, once released it will be noted in the driver release notes.

In case you want to get updates later on you can reference the Bug ID 1309536736.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Harryincorrect

Since there are no further questions, we will close this thread. In case you want to get an update on the issue you can reference the Bug ID number provide in my previous. Feel free to open a new thread in case you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Harryincorrect
New Contributor I

how do you reference a bug id?

0 Kudos
1tej1
Beginner

I totally agree:

I have a iRIS xe graphics card and play fortnite... it is a nightmare!!!

0 Kudos