Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Full 21:9 resolution with Iris Xe

ArpeC
Novice

I have a laptop with the following three monitors:

- MSi Optix MAG341CQ (USB-C -> HooToo Shuttle -> HDMI)

- Westinghouse WM32DX9019 (USB-C -> HDMI)

- ViewSonic VA2446MH-LED (USB-C -> Plugable docking station -> DVI)

I recently get a new laptop.  The previous was a Dell XPS with an Intel i7-5880U CPU and Intel UHD Graphics 620 adapter.  The new one is a Dell XPS with an Intel  i7-1260P CPU and Intel Iris Xe Graphics adapter.

Without making any other physical changes, I simply moved the two USB-C plugs from one laptop to the other, then went about configuring the displays.  The problem is that the new laptop will not allow the MSi to display at full resolution.  The monitor will show up to 3440x1440 (21:9 layout), but the new laptop will not allow more than 2560x1440 (16:9, stretched horizontally).  The other two monitors work fine.

I tried swapping the two HDMI monitors so that the MSi was not going through the HooToo hub, same result (and the Westinghouse still works fine).  I installed an updated monitor driver from MSi's website.  I also installed updated Intel graphics drivers recommended by the Intel DSA app.  Neither has fixed the problem.

I have attached the following text files:

- Windows DX Diagnosis output

- Intel SSU Scan output

- report generated by Intel Graphics Command Center

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @ArpeC

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would appreciate it if you could help us to clarify the following points:

1- Our understanding is that on the previous laptop you were using 3 external monitors at the same time. Just to make sure that we understand correctly, on the new laptop, are you using the same 3 monitors simultaneously?

Checking the technical specifications from DELL* website, we see that this laptop only comes with 2 Thunderbolt* 4 USB Type-C ports (does not include HDMI ports). Is this correct?

If it is, this seems to indicate that the only possibility to connect 3 monitors is using the said USB-C HUB/docking stations. Therefore, could you please elaborate more on the exact configuration and number of monitors connected to the new computer? How are they specifically connected?

2- Also, we understand that one of the Thunderbolt ports should be used to power the computer. When this behavior occurs, are you providing power to the computer through one of the USB-C Hub/docking stations? Or is it running on battery? Please provide details.

3- In addition, we see on the technical specifications of the MSI* monitor that it comes with 1 DisplayPort (DP) input. Could you please test connecting only this monitor to the computer using a DP to USB-C/Thunderbolt cable without using any of the adapters/dockings and without connecting the other monitors?

Using this kind of "straight-through connection" is the monitor able to show a resolution of "3440x1440"?

4- Finally, if you try to lower the refresh rate of the MSI* monitor, are you able then to select the desired resolution?

What resolution options are offered in the "drop-down Resolution list" of the Intel® Graphics Command Center > Display section? (We do see in the Graphics report that it detects 3440 x 1440).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ArpeC
Novice

Thanks so much for your reply, Andrew.

1. I am using the exact same monitors, with the exact same wiring, as with the previous laptop. The previous laptop had 3 USB-C ports, but I used only 2 of them. The new laptop has only two.

The exact setup:
a. the first USB-C port has a USB-C male -> HDMI female converter, with the HDMI cable going to the Westinghouse monitor (2560x1440, works fine with both laptops)
b. the second USB-C port has a HooToo hub with three ports in use:
   i. a USB-C port with the power cable
   ii. an HDMI port with the MSi monitor (3440x1440/21:9 on the old laptop; 2560x1440/16:9 on the new one)
   iii. a USB-A port with a DisplayLink hub plugged in; the DisplayLink hub has:
      A. a DVI port for the ViewSonic monitor (1920x1080, works fine on both; note that the DisplayLink hub has its own graphics adapter)
      B. mouse, keyboard, webcam, audio interface

C. ethernet

I tried swapping the two HDMI plugs (the Westinghouse and MSi moinitors); both behave the same.

2. As stated above, the power is plugged in to the HooToo hub

3. I thought of this as well, and ordered a USB-C -> DisplayPort cable to try it. It should be here early next week.

4. At full resolution, the MSi monitor has settings for a refresh rate of 100 or 60, but both the Windows display settings UI and the Graphics Command Center show only 60 as an option.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ArpeC

Thank you for your response and for the clarifications.

We understand that the Westinghouse* monitor works fine at 2560x1440 and the MSI* monitor also works at the same resolution 2560x1440 but it is not able to achieve the desired resolution of "3440x1440/21:9". Due to the increased bandwidth required to achieve that higher resolution of 3440x1440, it would be very helpful to test it using a straight-through connection.

While you wait for the arrival of the USB-C -> DisplayPort cable to try it, could you please test the following:

1. Please disconnect from the computer one of the USB-C HUBs/dockings and also disconnect all the other monitors, the DisplayLink HUB, mouse, keyboard, webcam, audio and ethernet devices, and the computer's power cable.
  2. Using only one USB-C HUB (e.g.: the USB-C male -> HDMI female converter and then you may switch and test using only the HooToo hub), please connect only the MSI monitor and test the behavior to see if it achieves "3440x1440/21:9".

If the display reaches the desired resolution on this configuration, it could be the problem is a bandwidth limitation when you connect all devices to the new laptop (I mean, an issue specific to this configuration).

Another possibility is that there might be a compatibility issue between the new computer and the USB-C HUBs/converters.

It is worth mentioning that Intel® does not recommend using any kind of adapters and we can not guarantee third-party products/adapters will work as expected. Please review this article for more details: Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel.

However, you may also review and try the suggestions below in case the issue persists:

1- Review if there are Windows* Updates available and apply pending updates. Please refer to Update Windows*.

2- Perform a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using the latest customized driver from Dell* Website: Version 31.0.101.3301.

As a second option, you may repeat the steps to install the latest generic Intel® Graphics DHC driver Version: 31.0.101.3413 (Latest).

3- Check if there are drivers or firmware available for the USB-C HUBs/dockings and update to the latest versions.

If the issue persists, and the MSI* monitor works fine using a straight-through connection, it is possible that the adapter is not supported by the controller. In that case, you'll need to contact the adapter manufacturer for possible workarounds.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ArpeC

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ArpeC

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
ArpeC
Novice

Sorry for the delayed response.  I fixed the problem by getting rid of the laptop and getting a desktop with an NVIDIA GeForce PCI card.  Now all the monitors work.  Thanks for your help, though.

0 Kudos