Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Graphics failure with WPF 3D content and Iris XE

_Lukas_
Beginner

Hello,

I have a problem displaying WPF 3D content on my new notebook.

I already created a support ticket at intel. Result => it is an OEM device from dell, their problem.

So I created a support ticket at Dell. Result => must be a problem at intel or microsoft.

For me it more looks like a problem at intel but I'm not sure about it. So i will try it again here because this forum seems more competent to me.

Problem:

WPF 3D content is not rendered correct as you can see at the attached picture (SimpleDemo_Intel).

This happens at all apps i tested and they have nothing to do with each other.

The source code of the app is here

https://github.com/helix-toolkit/helix-toolkit/tree/develop/Source/Examples/WPF/SimpleDemo

but I also attached the compiled exe (Sample.zip).

This also happens at the same notebook of my colleague. So it shouldn't be a hardware problem.

I tried all OEM and the Intel drivers, also the last beta but it doesn't work with any of them.

To workaround this I could use the Nvidia card (SimpleDemo_Nvidia.png) or disable hardware acceleration at the registry for WPF (SimpleDemo_Intel_disabled_HWA.png).

This would be the key to do this

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAcceleration as a DWORD 0 or 1

No changes if I have displays attached or not.

I also found this thread here but I'm not sure if this is the same problem

https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/3817

Has anyone experienced the same thing?

If this is not a bug on Intel side I'm absolutely ok with it. But if so I could end my search and tests.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello _Lukas_,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• When did the issue start? Do you recall any hardware or software updates before the problem started?
  • Please, provide me with a detailed description and steps on how to replicate the issue. If you can record a video, it would be ideal.
  • As a reminder, you shared an IGCC report, not an SSU report. I want to check some information about the environment of your issue; please, create an Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU) report.  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
_Lukas_
Beginner

Hey Jean,

thanks for your reply and sorry for the wrong report.

I attached the one from SSU now.

• When did the issue start? Do you recall any hardware or software updates before the problem started?
    • From day 1. I have the notebook not since about 2 weeks and it was a fresh installed one. The problem exists since the first start.
  • Please, provide me with a detailed description and steps on how to replicate the issue. If you can record a video, it would be ideal.
    • You only have to start the attached SimpleDemo.exe from the zip file. Otherwise you can download the source code from github and compile it by yourself. I have attached 2 videos. One if I start the exe with the intel card and the other one with the nvidia card.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello _Lukas_,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello _Lukas_,

Thank you for waiting for a response.

We investigated your issue and tried to replicate the issue using the same integrated graphics and our latest graphics driver (31.0.101.3413). However, we could not duplicate your problem. It may indicate that the problem may be related to your configuration, app, or Operating System.

Based on that, we recommend performing a clean installation of the graphics driver 31.0.101.3413. You should know that Intel generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, and we recommend using drivers from the system manufacturer (OEM). To perform the clean installation process, you should try the following: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: 

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
_Lukas_
Beginner

Hey Jean,

thanks for looking into this.

Sadly the clean install of the driver (I tried the OEM driver) didn't change anything.

I will open a github issue at the microsoft wpf repository to see if there are others who have the same problem.

Regards, Lukas

0 Kudos
_Lukas_
Beginner

I tried the intel version of the driver also but without success

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello _Lukas_,

I am sorry to hear that the issue persists.

Since the issue persists even though you did a clean installation of our latest driver, remember that we were unable to recreate the problem. You should contact the app developer for further support.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Ivan-DE
Beginner

Hi Lukas,

I have the same problem using WPF 3D controls in newest HP Notebook with Intel Core i5 1235U (12. Generation) processor and Intel Iris Xe graphics https://www.hp.com/de-de/shop/product.aspx?id=6F242EA&opt=ABD&sel=NTB .

We use WPF (.NET Framework) 3D Chart controls from well-known companies like Infragistics and Telerik. The 3D charts work in many tested computers, even with old Intel integrated graphics like Intel HD Graphics 4000 or Intel UHD Graphics 620.

But in newest notebook with Intel Iris Xe Graphics the 3D controls don't work. They show few thin colored stripes on the empty 3D chart control for both Infragistics and Telerik controls (attachment). Even the standard Telerik Demo app for WPF doesn't work.

I have made the clean install of latest beta Intel drivers 31.0.101.3616 (02-09-2022) bit this doesn't help.

I think this is definitely problem of the Intel which should be considered as very serious to be fixed soon. Otherwise we have to not recommend our customers using the Intel Iris Xe Graphics (what we want to avoid).

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
_Lukas_
Beginner

Hey @Ivan-DE ,

thanks for your feedback.

Just for completeness I also opened an issue at the WPF github repo.

https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/7076

Maybe it helps to increase priority if you reply there, too.

What I did not know of the time of writing this thread here was that the Intel XE cards does not support DX9 anymore.

Microsoft has developed a mapping layer to forward everything to the DX12 API.

https://github.com/microsoft/D3D9On12

So it could also be a problem at this layer I think.

But I really hope that the WPF guys will talk to D3DOn12 guys if there is a problem there.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

We are experiencing the same issue with WPF 3D content.

I tested several things and only run into the problem when using an Intel 12th gen CPU with built-in graphics. I have tested the Microsoft's WPF 3D Sample and this sample has the same issue. I expect the problem to be present in all WPF applications using 3D rendering.

It seems that the 12th gen CPUs no longer supports DirectX9 naively and therefore the D3D9On12 mapping layer is used. According to Intel the issue is caused by the D3D9on12 mapping layer. For more information see the post from Intel in the topic I opened: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/3D-rendering-issue-on-12th-gen-Intel-Core-i3/m-p/1407118#M109118

0 Kudos
_Lukas_
Beginner

@PLYMET @Ivan-DE 

I opened another issue here because it seems like this is the root cause:

https://github.com/microsoft/D3D9On12/issues/52

Maybe they can fix it.

0 Kudos
NorSupport
Beginner

Hi,

We also have the same problem, and I'll post my reply here as well as in the issue mentioned above.

It seems that all applications using WPF 3D will have major problems in the future, as 12th gen Intel CPUs are rolled out to a greater and greater extent.

Until a permanent solution from Intel or Microsoft arrives, I can suggest the following workarounds:

1. Solution in code:
    Enter the following setting in the xaml code of your Window:
    RenderOptions.EdgeMode="Aliased"
  2. Solution for computers with dedicated graphics card:
    Go to Graphic Settings in Windows, add your application, and select "High performance".
  3. Solution for computers that only have Intel CPU embedded graphics:
    Download and install Intel Graphics Command Center. Add your application as a game and set Anti-Aliasing to "Always on" or "Always off". Both seem to work, as long as "Application Controlled" is not specified

Again, these are 3 different workarounds that we have found, but none are optimal. If anyone has any better suggestions, or a permanent solution comes out, I hope this can be shared!

Question to Intel: Why is it that solution 3 works? Obviously "Application Controlled" means something else than "On" or "Off", but that does not make any sense to me...

0 Kudos