Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

GL_POINTS and driver version 10.18.14.4156 causing a crash

Thomas_F_2
Beginner
Hi there,

I have an application that renders a cube using GL_POINTS. On driver version 10.18.10.3345 the output was incorrect - ie. the points were rendered in the wrong colour, which is specified as the output of my pixel shader.

I upgraded to driver version 10.18.14.4156 to see if it might resolve the issue but now I'm getting a crash like so:

Unhandled exception at 0x548D206A (ig75icd32.dll) in ApplicationGLD.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000008.

As a workaround I can disable MSAA in my application, which fixes the crash as well as rendering in the correct color, but I'd like to get to the root cause.

Are there any known issues with MSAA, GL_POINTS and the latest Intel Iris driver version? I don't have a buildable repro but I could probably send a prebuilt executable if it can help track down the problem.

My setup is as follows:

Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 5100
Driver Version: 10.18.14.4156
Operating System: Windows* 8.1 Enterprise (6.3.9600)
Physical Memory: 16292 MB
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 0A2E
Device Revision: 09
Video BIOS: 2170.0
Current Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4558U CPU @ 2.80GHz
Processor Speed: 2800 MHz
Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 5100
Shader Version: 5.0
OpenGL* Version: 4.3
OpenCL* Version: 1.2
* Microsoft DirectX* *
Runtime Version: 11.2
Hardware-Supported Version: 11.1

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Tom,

I don't know of any MSAA, GL_POINTS issues in the latest driver, I have filed a ticket and getting our OGL development team to investigate the issue. I will let you know what we find out.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Tom,

We have yet to reproduce the issue you describe in our lab. Do you have a test application the demonstrates the problem? A code snippet or crash dump would also be fine.

Thanks,

-Michael

0 Kudos
Thomas_F_2
Beginner

Hi Michael,

I'll have to get permission to send over a repro so please wait a while.

Interestingly enough a colleague has a Intel Iris 6100 (and latest drivers) in his Mac book pro and he doesn't witness the crash running the same application as me - something related to my 5100 card maybe?

Regards,
Tom

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Tom,

OK, let me know when you can get us something to help reproduce he issue. It is possible that the issue is specific to s certain SKU, that is a good data point for us.

Thanks,

-Michael

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Tom,

Were ever able to get permission to share a test application that shows the issue? Or is it even being seen with the latest drivers?

-Michael

0 Kudos
Thomas_F_2
Beginner

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid I've not been granted permission yet. I've also not had chance to upgrade to the latest drivers to test either.

Cheers,
Tom

0 Kudos
Thomas_F_2
Beginner

Upgraded to driver v10.18.14.4222 and still get the same crash.

Cheers,

Tom

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

OK, we still can't reproduce the issue. So unfortunately without the application or a test application there isn't much we can do.

-Michael

0 Kudos