Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

GPU cooling idea

MSosn
Beginner

Hello. It had been announced that Intel starts to develop its own GPU.

I have a patent pending idea on how to solve the cooling problem of GPU, specifically when one GPU overheats in SLI/CrossFire array, while other GPUs are relatively cool.

Here I attach a file with the short description of this idea. Disclosed information is not confidential.

I would like to develop a non-provisional patent and license it together with Intel.

Please, feel free to contact me if you are interested:

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mcools,

Thank you for posting.

Intel has an extensive ongoing program of research and development, and we are always excited by new ideas and innovations.

However, our policy is to not accept unsolicited material. This policy prevents confusion or disputes regarding property rights to ideas or inventions.

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

MSosn
Beginner

Hello Amy C

Thanks for your answer. I total understand why such policy is in place, but please hear me out.

I saw next forum tread before:

Form this tread I was assuming that Intel was open for new ideas coming outside of the company. Unfortunately, I am geographically located in China and contact directly corporate office, as it is suggested in that thread, is not so easy for me, because there only mail address and phone, but not email address. So I decided to post it here, hoping I will get some contacts or advice.

It seems something not good happened, that make Intel to put this policy in place.

Look, I am sure there are many talented engineer in Intel, but there are much more talented engineers outside of Intel, that can have good ideas. And such ideas can give advantage on the market for the companies like Intel, especially if Intel wants to go to the new market, such as GPU.

Such outside inventors would like to see their idea on the market, and will try to contact all possible companies that can be interested in it and Intel is not only one company that I'm trying to contact. And, believe me one of your main competitor in this field is much more open for external ideas, because they don't want to miss possible opportunities.

As I mentioned in my original post, information disclosed here is not-confidential and I'm not asking Intel to sign any not disclosure agreements. I simply want Intel to have a look at this idea and possibly further develop it together with Intel.

If it is bad idea, and Intel don't like it, there are no possible issues at all.

If it is good idea, there are chance that Intel engineers already working on something similar and they should have done a patent on it. In this case no one can say Intel stole my idea, because Intel was first to make a patent and I'am wasting my time.

If Intel works on similar idea, but didn't make patent yet, than it is very bad for Intel, due to first to file patent rule of US patent office. In this case you will need my provisional patent, to make not-provisional patent with early priority date. Otherwise, I can do not-provisional patent by myself or with other company and you will have legal case of infringing patent.

And if Intel didn't work on such idea and will like it, than its win-win for both prates.

I know you are just employee and you need to follow the rules and policies. And it is better to be safe than sorry, regarding possible legal issues with inventions. But it will be very pity for Intel to see idea, that Intel could have by itself, in competitors product in the future.

I still hope you can give me a direction how to help Intel improve their future product and I'm total understand that it might not happen. Doesn't heart to ask.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/129782 mcools,

I understand and we thank you for your interest in Intel, but in these cases our policy is to not accept unsolicited material.

We appreciate your understanding.

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos