Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Graphical Glitch in Iris Xe while playing Games

Priyajit
Beginner

Hi, My laptop is HP Probook 450 G8 with i5-1135G7 processor and iris xe graphics. I was playing Dark Souls 3 with optimal resolution and getting good fps but suddenly there is weird RGB polygon and strips flickering in the screen. Though it's not persistent, it's coming randomly in 1-2 minutes and makes the game unplayable. I read a lot of qna on this issue but none solved it. 

Please fix this issue or help me to fix this.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_Intel

Hello Priyajit,

Please perform a clean installation of the latest graphics driver version 30.0.101.1960 and let us know if the issue persists.

As well, please provide a screenshot of the in-game graphics settings you currently have in Dark Souls 3. After that, please try the settings as shown in the image attached and let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello Priyajit,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• Was there any hardware upgrade or driver/OS updates before the issue started?
  • Is the issue happening with other video games too?
  • On Windows, look for the Intel® Graphics Command Center > Go to Support > Click on System Diagnostic > Click on Generate report > Save the report as a .txt file and attach it to your reply.

As well, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will elaborate my issue and give all the necessary information.

1.  The issue was from day 1 after buying this new laptop and updating all necessary updates. 
  2.  I haven't tried any other video games yet, I have played only Dark Souls 3 and it is a fairly old game so it shouldn't have any issue. But the first time when I launched the game, it was crashing after a minute or two. Then I made some changes in-game and the crashing issue was temporarily resolved. As for Graphical Glitch, it doesn't happen throughout the game, but in specific places like Firelink Shrine, Boss Fights, etc. I have tried all the tweaks in IGCC and in-game settings as I can, but nothing solved it.

3. Here is all the report you need.
  4. I have added a game capture that represents the issue. 

I hope I have given all the necessary infos. Please solve my issue. Thank you.  

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Priyajit,

Thank you for your response.

Please try the following steps:

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Thank you for giving me your precious time to help me out. I have played The Witcher 3 recently but didn't face that weird issue. But then again, the issue in Dark Souls 3 is not there in other GPUs from AMD or Nvidia. And according to Reddit and Youtube, Elden Ring and some other games are facing a similar issue (Here is the link of that video: https://youtu.be/xQVURpPbTEA ). So I am guessing that it's the fault of both the Driver and the Game.... Maybe the driver is not completely optimized. 

Also, my current driver version is 30.0.101.1660. Should I downgrade to 30.0.101.1003 as you mentioned? As I normally hear that its better to keep drivers up-to-date. 

Eagerly waiting for your reply, Thank You.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Priyajit,

Yes, please try the driver version 30.0.101.1003 provided by HP (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-450-g8-notebook-pc/37973141), and then check if the same issue persists. Even though you have the latest generic driver version, it is always recommended to try the drivers provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (HP).

As well, have you checked if there are any updates available for Dark Souls 3?

Please let us know the outcome of HP's driver installation. Please remember you can perform a clean installation of the graphics driver by following this article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389.html

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Sorry for my late reply, I was pretty busy last week. 
    I installed the driver from the OEM from the link you have mentioned, and the issue is almost fixed temporarily. In the firelink shrine of DS3, there is very very less visual glitch than previously. But I don't have the time to do extensive tests right now, so I can't say that the problem is fully fixed.

Also, isn't it weird that previous versions are fixing the issues of the current version of drivers? I mean, the whole point of driver update is to fix bugs of previous versions and introduce the latest things. So, should I stay with the OEM driver and never update in the future? Please, If possible, forward those issues to the dev team so that they can understand the issue and fix it in the next updates. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

Hi Steven,

I have done the test today and forget the thing I said in the previous message. The OEM version of the driver you mentioned made the game literally unplayable! I was getting 35-40 fps in the latest driver version, but after installing the OEM driver it dropped to 15-20 fps! That's crazy! It really baffles me how just a simple change in the driver can make such a drastic change! Also, the graphic issue is still there, it hasn't gone yet. I was reading various posts online and a lot of people said that Intel Iris Xe is really good but its potential is crippled by the drivers. Now I think the same too...

I request you to kindly send these issues to the dev team... I was reading the release notes of various drivers and saw that my issue is listed in the 'Known Issues' section. 

Thank you.

Priyajit_1-1651924492549.png

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response and information provided.

I will go ahead and keep working on this issue, as soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Priyajit,

Please perform a clean installation of the latest graphics driver version 30.0.101.1960 and let us know if the issue persists.

As well, please provide a screenshot of the in-game graphics settings you currently have in Dark Souls 3. After that, please try the settings as shown in the image attached and let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for your support. The recent update 30.0.101.1960 fixed my issue. There is no graphical glitch now. But suddenly another game The Witcher 3, which was running perfectly fine till now is showing shutters i.e., the fps suddenly drops from 30 fps capped to 10-15 fps then again rise up.... And this is happening frequently now. It was running very well previously, but showing issues after this update. I will upgrade my RAM to 16 GB and will let you know if the issue still persists.

But I am really grateful that you have solved the issue of Dark Souls 3 so fast. Thanks for your support. Have a nice day 🙂

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Yeah, I have checked your previous message and also replied to you but somehow it wasn't posted properly or got deleted I guess, because I can't see that reply anymore. 
    But thank you very much for solving my issue. The graphical glitch in Dark Souls 3 has disappeared with the recent driver update. But my another game The Witcher 3, which was running perfectly fine previously, is showing frequent shuttering now. Today I will install another 8 GB RAM to see if the issue still persists and will report it to you.

Thanks again for solving my issue. Have a nice day. 

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

In case something happens to the previous message, I am attaching the Screen Shot of the settings in another message.

My settings are 1280*720 p with all low except Anti-Aliasing ON.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Please let us know if the issue persists after installing the new RAM.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner

After installing the new RAM, the games are running very well. Thank you very much for your help. Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We are glad to know you found a solution. Since the thread is solved, we will proceed to close it now.  

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Goshal
Beginner

This could be caused by a variety of issues, such as outdated or corrupt drivers, conflicts with other software, or hardware problems with the card itself. To troubleshoot the issue, you can try the following steps:

• Make sure your drivers are up to date by visiting the website of your computer's manufacturer or the website of the graphics card manufacturer and downloading the latest drivers.
  • Close any background programs or processes that may be conflicting with the game. Run the game in windowed mode or lower the graphics settings to see if the issue persists.
  • Check the game's system requirements to make sure your computer meets them.
  • Run a diagnostic test on your graphics card to check for any hardware issues.
  • Perform a clean boot, which starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, this will help you determine whether a background program is causing the problem.
  • If the problem persists, you may need to contact the game developer for additional support or consider getting your graphics card checked by a professional.
0 Kudos
Priyajit
Beginner
Well the issue was fixed thanks to Steven for bringing this post to Intel Driver Devs. The next Graphics Driver solved the issue.
0 Kudos
Saabjock
Novice

Funny!

I had this exact thing happen yesterday (01/13/2023) while watching a replay in Assetto Corsa Competizione.

The thing had been running very well though a bit of coil whine was somewhat increased.

All of a sudden, the screen started artifacting and then locked up.

I was sure the card was done for.

I then used the hard shutdown and after restarting and again trying another replay, it ran fine.

Still scratching my head on that one. 

0 Kudos