Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21070 Discussions

Graphics Command Center does no longer allow defining custom resolutions

PierU
Novice

Hello,

Latest versions of the Graphics Command Center does no longer allow changing the monitor resolutions, which is not a big issue as they can be changed in the Windows setting. The problem is that it does no longer allow either to define custom resolutions, which is a bad move as defining custom resolutions is not possible in the Windows settings.

I am using 4K 32" monitors: the 3840x2160 native resolution gives me much too small elements on screen, and the next available resolution in the list is 2560x1440, which gives too large elements on screen. Previously I defined a 2848x1602 resolution which was just perfect (similar dpi to a 2560x1600 27" monitor).

I know, I could use the Windows scaling factor, which at 125% gives an equivalent of 3072x1728. But actually no: I am using on a daily basis Linux applications in a remote display (Exceed) from a remote server, and the Windows scaling has no effects on them.

I get the point that custom resolutions "could potentially cause damage" (although I really don't get how it could be on digital flat panel monitors, as opposed to the old analog CRT), but the warning message was clear about that, so the user could choose.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may download from Microsoft Store Intel Graphics Command Center (Beta) with all those features.

Leon

0 Kudos
PierU
Novice

Do you mean that I should use an older (and beta) version of the IGCC? I had once actually a version with this feature, but it probably auto-updated at some point to a version without it :(. The problem is that this is my work PC  and I don't have any admin permission on it (even the MS Store is blocked)...

Anyway, using an outdated version can't be a long-term solution.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello PeirU,

As per our article: Error: "Custom Resolution is Not Supported on Internal Displays" in Intel® Graphics Command Center:

Previous versions of the Intel Graphics Command Center showed the Custom Resolution setting for internal displays but did not actually allow a custom resolution to be applied, therefore the Custom Resolution setting was removed. This is considered to be expected behavior.

Intel cannot and never has been able to extend support for custom resolutions on internal driver displays due to hardware limitations.

We would recommend to consider using either the Intel® Graphics Command Center (Beta) from Microsoft Store or Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) for customizing the resolution of your system.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hi PierU,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hi PierU,

I hope you are doing well. Since we have not heard any feedback regarding our previous post, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
PierU
Novice

Hi,

I actually didn't get the answer, as I never spoke about the internal display, but about external monitors. I wanted to check the version number of the Intel Graphics Command Center that is currently installed on the PC, but I hadn't the PC with me these last days...

0 Kudos