Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Graphics corruption and driver crash for Intel UHD Graphics on 10870H Gigabyte Aero 15 XC with 3070

Mathieu-Isabel
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having a lot of issue when the Intel UHD graphics driver is installed on my laptop. As soon as I disable the Intel UHD Graphics device in device manager or if I completely uninstall the device, the issues go away. I've tried with various versions of the Intel drivers, all result with the same issues:

• Intel integrated graphics constantly crashing (Windows event 4101)
    • The screen turns black and comes back
    • This could happen every 15-30 seconds and then stopped and then come back later. 
  • Display freezing
    • Sometime I couldn’t log to the laptop as the laptop completely froze. Sometime I was able to login if I did it quickly enough but shortly after login it would freeze again, requiring me to restart the laptop and try to login again.

Here's a videos of when the driver crash/restarts.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUVxEmOaNw0VAncjQ8pppML-NXTvPXheh

I've ran RAM test to make sure everything was ok on that side. I also ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic tools and it didn't find any issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mathieu-Isabel
Beginner

Quick update, while running the Intel Processor Diagnostics, the laptop crash rebooted. After the system restarted it was freezing immediately before I was able to get to the login screen. After waiting a bit and a reboot  I was able to login again. I then tried to reproduce the problem by running IPDT but I couldn't get the system to crash again. I did notice while the test were running some graphics artifacts on the screen. Like pixel glitching moving left to right and also the screen flashes to a black screen several time during the test, similar to the videos in the original post.

For some reason, the laptop seems more stable after it warmed up.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Mathieu-Isabel, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Based on the information showing in the SSU report, we can confirm that the graphics driver currently installed is version 27.20.100.9316, which is the Generic Intel® Graphics driver.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. I looked in Gigabyte's web site, and actually, the latest Graphics driver they have available is version 27.20.100.8783, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-15-OLED--RTX-30-Series/support#support-dl-driver-vga

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Additionally, we recommend to get in contact with Gigabyte directly to gather the instructions on how to do a BIOS update to the latest version.

If the Intel® Processor passed the Intel® PDT test, then we can rule out a possible hardware problem with the unit and it should be working fine. 

But, if it fails the test, or if after trying the steps above the problem remains, then we suggest to contact Gigabyte directly for them to do a physical inspection of the laptop to confirm which is the component that is not working properly, it might be the cooling solution, memory RAM, the processor itself or any other components they installed in their system, warranty options from them might apply on this scenario:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mathieu-Isabel
Beginner

Hi Albert,

The laptop is already at the latest BIOS version provided by Gigabyte. 

As for the driver, I tried the version provided by Gigabyte and the last couple of versions from Intel. All of the versions I've tried so far resulted with the same set of problems. Is there any other test(s) I can run that would allow me to pinpoint the issue? 

I'm also working with the repair center for Gigabyte so they can have a look at the laptop but I'd like to have good diagnostic information to provide them as the issue is fairly random in nature. It seems something like a bad connection/electrical that appears only when the device is colder.

Thank you,

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Mathieu-Isabel, Thank you very much for providing that information.

"Is there any other test(s) he can run that would allow him to pinpoint the issue?", the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test is the most reliable tool to confirm or to rule out a possible hardware problem with the Intel® Processor.

Since the problem happens with both, the Intel® and Gigabyte drivers, I looked in Gigabyte's website for the supported OS for this laptop, it says that it is Windows* 10 64-bit, as you can confirm in the link provided previously. Currently, you are using Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise / 10.0.19042 Build 19042, did you check with Gigabyte if that operating system is fully compatible with their laptop?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Mathieu-Isabel. I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Mathieu-Isabel, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos