Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20810 Discussions

Graphics corruption in Fallout 4 since 1.3 patch

DJohn24
Beginner

Since Fallout 4's 1.3(.47) patch, I (and many, many others) have been experiencing texture issues that make the game unplayable. I have an Iris 5100, but the problem seems to be universal across all Intel GPUs, regardless of hardware.

More images are in this gallery http://imgur.com/a/K5wa2 here. Basically, the textures stretch and warp, almost always obscuring your view and looking like a mess. It's interesting to note that this does not happen to player/character models, although it's difficult to discern what these textures originally were to begin with. Updating to the latest beta driver does not fix it (although I'd never seen the bright red texture glitch in the gallery before it, so... there's that).

I originally believed this to be a problem combining Apple hardware (I'm using a late-2013 rMBP) with the Intel GPU, which is not officially supported by Bethesda (the game's publisher), but since then I've encountered many people across the internet on other hardware who are encountering the same issue. In fact, there seems to be something about the 1.3 update that screwed up textures for a lot of people with integrated graphics, including those with AMD.

Someone will probably inevitably say that Apple has requested that all issues with their products should be directed through their support, but quite frankly, this doesn't seem like an Apple problem (and the Apple person I talked to agreed with me, saying they can only work to apply fixes within OS X). The game was made by Bethesda, runs solely in a Windows environment, and the common denominator seems to be the Intel GPU. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1588208-texture-glitches-after-update/ Bethesda is aware of the problem, but are under no obligation to support users of hardware they never offered support to. While I don't know much about driver programming, I feel like this is an issue that will most likely be solved by you at Intel if it is solved at all. You also are under no obligation to solve the problem, and if you can't, no hard feelings (really). This GPU has felt like "the little graphics card that could", given the amount I've put it through, and this is the first game I've encountered that is entirely unplayable because of it.

I unknowingly solved the crashing problems already known by installing http://enbdev.com/download_mod_fallout4.htm ENBoost, a utility that is known to boost performance -- for some reason it completely stops the crashing other Intel users have been experiencing. The game runs just fine on versions 1.1 (release) and 1.2, and I'm continuing to play the game thanks to http://www.speedrun.com/Fallout_4/thread/fvo80 downgrade patches, but any future content will be unavailable unless the issue is fixed.

I've attached the Intel SSU diagnostics, DxDiag, and DispDiag for reference, but a summary of my system specs is as follows: Macbook Pro Retina, Late-2013, Intel Core i5-4258U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel Iris Graphics 5100, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, graphics driver version 20.19.15.4380 (which I think is the beta driver? don't know what else it would be, since I turned auto-updates off and haven't installed another since). I was previously on the last stable release, which I found to run significantly better than the Apple-provided one that installs during Boot Camp.

Sorry for the info dump, I'm just really interested in helping to figure out a solution if possible. I know this has been posted about a few times as well, hope this isn't a problem as I didn't want to hijack any more threads. If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know -- I'm hoping I'll be able to get some users not on Apple hardware to post their information as well. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
128 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Well, I looked on few posts on Intel's forums and you will be surprised because all laptop makers blame Intel for their fails, and Intel is forced to fix their problems. I don't think that Intel's drivers are ok but most problems are from quality check of the manufacturers as I saw some laptops were not working from the start with the OS and drivers that were provided ... They add a discrete a video card and they mix it with Intel's igpu, and from this lots of problems.

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

I just know in the end I would love to build a wonderful gaming computer. I'll be learning more about the processors then. I know I'll still be using intel's i7, of course i'll be upgrading gpu with something waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

so this method does not solve the problem permanently?

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

Solve is a strong word for it. You are deactivating gore. ( which means heads, bugs, and turrets no longer explode ) Also, loading is a bit slower in some areas. But it makes it playable.

I did notice that a lot of the lag has slowed down for me. In the corvega factory, i didn't receive any frame rate drops after this change.

0 Kudos
KDelg
Beginner

jackalcity wrote:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found the solution. It was given a couple of days ago by this saint

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/364041517012147849/ Fix for Intel graphics cards :: Fallout 4 General Discussions

I'm playing it now. I'M SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!

I have tested just the [General] section changes inFallout4Custom.ini and tried both a new game and loading a saved game, and the artifacting is no longer present with just a cursory look. Steam is updating the game right now so I will have to get into it more in depth later tonight But so far so good!

I'll try out the [Display] section settings later to see if I notice the mentioned fps gains.

Will try to post an update later.

0 Kudos
sshau2
Beginner

i tried with gore off..

the combine setting I leave it as is.. as read it slows performance if changing it to 0...

i get no texture issues

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

To me the problem remains even if it is less obvious but there are always corrupted textures when I move the view. You do not have no problems?

0 Kudos
JLoba
Novice

Hi, just turning gore off does not work for me - textures are messed up immediately after starting a new game. This is on a HD5500.

Disabling combined objects and gore makes the game almost glitch free (except for in the Castle).

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

what's wrong at the castle? You have to remember that if you're playing a game that had gore, the gore that was will still glitch. I wonder if gore includes the broken eggs. Similarly as the turrets no longer explode out, and now just fall over.

0 Kudos
KDelg
Beginner

The settings in the [Display] section don't seem to do anything. But the stuff in [General] does. It isn't perfect, however. In particular, near mesh fire barrels, everything goes nuts again, but turn away from them and everything is OK. Will try looking for some setting that nerfs fire rendering (post if you know of such, please).

The big news for me though is that I can now go into areas where I used to get crashes within seconds. In particular Faneuil Hall and Jamaica Plains. Those two were almost always CTD after a few second in the area. That said, they both still show the wacky rendering artifacts heavily. So I suspect the attempts to render things in those areas was what was crashing before, and now just artifacts. At least I can move around there now.

Again, if anyone knows settings that downgrade fire rendering, please let me know.

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

Hey FluffyPoppa, to me it sounds like you are playing on a save you've played before. If that is the case, and you have killed anyone before in those areas, including turrets or bugs or anything. You will see the crazy textures. While you turned off gore, it turn off gore for future use. All gore that was there before will still be there. It takes forever for that stuff to repop. I honestly suggest starting a new game, to see if you run into these issues.

0 Kudos
KDelg
Beginner

jackalcity wrote:

Hey FluffyPoppa, to me it sounds like you are playing on a save you've played before. If that is the case, and you have killed anyone before in those areas, including turrets or bugs or anything. You will see the crazy textures. While you turned off gore, it turn off gore for future use. All gore that was there before will still be there. It takes forever for that stuff to repop. I honestly suggest starting a new game, to see if you run into these issues.

Jamaica Plains for sure has deadies because that area is designed poorly. Faneuil I don't think does since that one always CTD for me within seconds. I found some settings that I will try soon.

0 Kudos
DJohn24
Beginner

I'm thrilled to hear there's at least a workaround!

One thing that I feel that's worth mentioning is that these integrated GPUs are not designed to run these sorts of AAA titles well -- Bethesda doesn't support Intel for a reason. Integrated GPUs are mostly intended for more casual users who require very little graphics processing. If you are truly serious about gaming, I'd look into getting an nVidia or AMD GPU, as the only reason you should be relying on your (Intel) CPU's graphics is if you can't reasonably afford an external GPU, or if you're a stubborn a-hole like me who hates happiness and uses a Mac. While Intel is obligated to fix these issues to some extent if they want to keep a small subset of customers happy, we also have to face the facts that we are using machines that do not meet the minimum specifications of the game, and that's on us, not anyone else.

A huge thanks to ivanu_intel and everyone else there for continuing to work on this issue -- I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

It seems that you don't understand that some of these bugs affect even working of windows correctly, browsers and video playing, because Intel included in igpu hardware encoders/decoders. And another thing that you probably should realize is that Intel HD 580 should be able to play any games, which I doubt ...

0 Kudos
DJohn24
Beginner

Bugs not related to Fallout do need to be fixed -- and that is 100% on Intel to do so. Things that affect what the product was marketed to be capable of doing have little to no excuse to not be solved.

What you should realize is that Bethesda has clearly indicated in the specifications of the game that it is supported on nvidia and AMD cards only, as this is what most PC gamers will have in their computers. The performance differences between integrated Intel graphics chipsets and an nvidia/AMD dedicated GPU are huge, and I really hope you don't actually think you'll be able to run recent games well on any integrated graphics. There is a huge demand from the gaming community for games to optimize for these newer, more advanced GPUs and take advantage of newer features designed specifically for gaming, and that demand is more vocal than those of us who simply want the game to work on our Intel chipsets.

This doesn't mean all games won't work, and I've been extremely impressed at what I've been able to play with this thing. But it's naive to believe you'll be able to play anything with it.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I am waiting for all new graphic cards to be released, and then I will decide what I will buy but till then I want that the igpu to work ok at least in windows, and to be able to play few games.I don't expect those games to work at maximum detail and performance, but to work. That's all.

0 Kudos
JLoba
Novice

Hi Nikola, I still see occasional corruption in the Castle, possibly due to the number of bodies, all other locations are fine.

1 thing - make sure the settings are in your Fallout4custom.ini and in the [General] section - anywhere else and they seem to get ignored. Also check that your .ini isn't corrupted - it has to be plain text.

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

Well anyway there is an improvement, I restarted the game from the beginning and so far I have not seen any damaged texture, while if I load an old save or the time it was released the patch 1.3, the graphics in some areas but is still corrupt much less than before and is more playable, so it's better than nothing.

Hopefully Intel will manage to solve the problem now.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Yes, they can monitor input game to the graphic card and compare results with those different variable values, and see where is the problem.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

This little fix is not working completely. In some areas when u crouch those artifacts appear again. So there are still some issues maybe with game variables, maybe with driver, I don't know.

0 Kudos