Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20778 Discussions

Graphics corruption in Fallout 4 since 1.3 patch

DJohn24
Beginner

Since Fallout 4's 1.3(.47) patch, I (and many, many others) have been experiencing texture issues that make the game unplayable. I have an Iris 5100, but the problem seems to be universal across all Intel GPUs, regardless of hardware.

More images are in this gallery http://imgur.com/a/K5wa2 here. Basically, the textures stretch and warp, almost always obscuring your view and looking like a mess. It's interesting to note that this does not happen to player/character models, although it's difficult to discern what these textures originally were to begin with. Updating to the latest beta driver does not fix it (although I'd never seen the bright red texture glitch in the gallery before it, so... there's that).

I originally believed this to be a problem combining Apple hardware (I'm using a late-2013 rMBP) with the Intel GPU, which is not officially supported by Bethesda (the game's publisher), but since then I've encountered many people across the internet on other hardware who are encountering the same issue. In fact, there seems to be something about the 1.3 update that screwed up textures for a lot of people with integrated graphics, including those with AMD.

Someone will probably inevitably say that Apple has requested that all issues with their products should be directed through their support, but quite frankly, this doesn't seem like an Apple problem (and the Apple person I talked to agreed with me, saying they can only work to apply fixes within OS X). The game was made by Bethesda, runs solely in a Windows environment, and the common denominator seems to be the Intel GPU. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1588208-texture-glitches-after-update/ Bethesda is aware of the problem, but are under no obligation to support users of hardware they never offered support to. While I don't know much about driver programming, I feel like this is an issue that will most likely be solved by you at Intel if it is solved at all. You also are under no obligation to solve the problem, and if you can't, no hard feelings (really). This GPU has felt like "the little graphics card that could", given the amount I've put it through, and this is the first game I've encountered that is entirely unplayable because of it.

I unknowingly solved the crashing problems already known by installing http://enbdev.com/download_mod_fallout4.htm ENBoost, a utility that is known to boost performance -- for some reason it completely stops the crashing other Intel users have been experiencing. The game runs just fine on versions 1.1 (release) and 1.2, and I'm continuing to play the game thanks to http://www.speedrun.com/Fallout_4/thread/fvo80 downgrade patches, but any future content will be unavailable unless the issue is fixed.

I've attached the Intel SSU diagnostics, DxDiag, and DispDiag for reference, but a summary of my system specs is as follows: Macbook Pro Retina, Late-2013, Intel Core i5-4258U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel Iris Graphics 5100, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, graphics driver version 20.19.15.4380 (which I think is the beta driver? don't know what else it would be, since I turned auto-updates off and haven't installed another since). I was previously on the last stable release, which I found to run significantly better than the Apple-provided one that installs during Boot Camp.

Sorry for the info dump, I'm just really interested in helping to figure out a solution if possible. I know this has been posted about a few times as well, hope this isn't a problem as I didn't want to hijack any more threads. If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know -- I'm hoping I'll be able to get some users not on Apple hardware to post their information as well. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
128 Replies
sshau2
Beginner

It doesnt look good.... people...

As the new XEON drivers 4454 or something's release notes still have FO4 listed as having corruption in the specified as known errors section..

dont get your hopes up about next drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is sad Intel rules the market... Hopefully when Zen comes out.. things will be better as we can buy amd shit again!!! I would have loved a High end Tablet with a AMD processor. my core M spectre is nice, tho I think amd is missing out bigtime..

Even if HP and other brands used amd's APU's A10 etc in the tablets I would be one to buy it!!!

oh... Intel have always been like this... reminds me of Creative's support for new OS's hahaha I have always had to locate drivers on forums for old hardware!!!

F.U.intel... you always talking about how you want to provide us with game ready cpu's and try to always make reviewers show your cpus are better..

I'd be pissed If I spent a heap on a Intel CPU thinking I dont game much... but knowing the cpu is ready for Low Spec gaming.. would be nice if all games worked on the grappy Intel graphics.

for years working in the i.T. industry the intel drivers and the intel gpus have been crap!

whats a few FPS when you cannot even play a bloody game in the first place...

AMD's apus drivers will always be about 100 steps ahead of intel as AMD has Discreet graphics division and the apu drivers are basically the same thing...

OHHHH game info, you do have to run a new game to see that fix work properly.. as the dead bodies cause the issue.. for me too..

P.S. last thing... what ever happened to Larabee hahaha was as said by intel going to beat every gpu out there because it had hundreds of pentiums on it..

DUMB as dog poo if you ask me!

I forsee the future.. so long as ZEN is a good as I hope it will be..

remember the athlon x64... for the first time intel was way behind and the core duo etc is what made the computing game exciting again.

thats what we need NOW!!! AMD to show you can have a x99 type cpu the LGA2011 types!!! for a few hundred and then intel is in trouble... to have to bring out another miracle

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

However I have noticed a big drop in framerate Diamond city for example, the frame rate is really low below 15 fps with 1280x720 resolution, I wanted to know if you also have this performance hit and if depends precisely on the 1.5 patch

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

I think it is the fault of Bethesda that is not able to optimize this game for PC / notebook with our hardware type, because MGS V The Phantom Pain has the minimum requirements slightly higher Fallout 4 except for the RAM that requires 8GB ram (I 12 I), and flows enough fluid with medium / low settings at 1280x720 resolution with a frame rate of 25-30 fps and still improves by lowering the resolution.

So I appeal to Bethesda and all SH: Please optimize your games even for low-end hardware

We are content with the smallest details but at least 20-25 fps stable, please!

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I don't think that your appeal will help

There are other people with Intel graphics that after patch 1.3 could not play the game, and Bethesda preffered to loose money instead of making game compatible, making those users returning the game.

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

I was just a joke anyway 😄

However I now with the patch 1.5 works with no texture problem, now only has strong framerate dips in some areas but some times it becomes stable at around 20 fps

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

Honestly though, I don't think it's the fault of anyone. You have to admit, that technology evolves. They never claimed to support our systems with these specs. It's serendipity that it even worked at all. We can't expect anyone to support luck. Life is like that. I have the same system. I too was upset that the gamed worked before but didn't work later. They didn't intentionally try and stop us from playing. They were just trying to improve the game, and they did for the systems they said they supported.

I have never thought of Intel as a graphics company, but I do think of them when I need an awesome processor for the system. I'll grant that they could do better on their graphics, but that's not their claim to fame anyway. There are plenty of other options out there.

If you ran into this issue, you didn't originally buy your computer for gaming. If you did then you definitely need more practice at researching game computers.

I know some of you may want to troll and disagree with me overall, but I'm just point up a valid point and you are free to disagree with me, whether it's trolly or not.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Honestly the game doesn't work work well even on other platforms which it seems that are weaker, and for what they made game work ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYpYgq-Ln_c Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC: PS4 vs Xbox One Gameplay Frame-Rate Test - YouTube

So don't tell me what are the minimum recommandations for the game.

I bet game doesn't work also on Intel HD 580 (72 eu), 3 times more powerful then Intel HD 530 (24eu), simply because it has the same driver.

This CPU with igpu: http://ark.intel.com/products/93339/Intel-Core-i7-6785R-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-6785R Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz) Specifications should be able to run Fallout 4 at the lowest resolution and with at least medium details, if not more, I think.

But there is something else in the middle.

NPres3
Novice

That's right, in the end it is also about "optimization" by the developers of the game, (see MGSV TPP) such as I said in the previous post.

It 's an example is The DLC Far Harbor on PS4 which currently runs at 15 fps

0 Kudos
sshau2
Beginner

Hi guys,

I have a few questions

I have issues even with the fallout4.ini trick

Sadly i only launched to see if textures are corrupt.

They are not.

But, the graphics fix we use seems to make my game ctd after x minutes..

I have confirmed with nogore disabled and the other combine sonethingsetting reverted to 1

It has corruption and game stays running for hours

My test point is just after exciting the cryo box. Leave the game idle the screen rotating around character...

When the game is running wih good textures (nogore enabled and combinexxxxxxxx off)

It ctd after sometimes 5 min, Sometimes 10min

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I told you thats not a a fix.

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

Hello guys, here here's a video demonstration on how to solve this problem of the texture on the 1.5 patch, I hope it will be helpful.

r3un1on
New Contributor I

thanks for your Tips. now it work by me to

JCote2
Novice

Thanks for posting a video of the solution. I posted a link to written instructions a while back if you aren't a video person.

NPres3
Novice

Are you the author of the post on Steam? In any case I let the credits in the description on Youtube videos.

Soon I will make another video for a configuration with a better framerate.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

That workaround is not fully functional. If you crouch in some zones the textures are allover the place... So unless Intel is modifying the driver to really work with Fallout 4, there will always be problems, sooner or later.

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

Hi guys I modified the configuration files for a better framerate sacrificing course graphics, files also includes the fix for corrupt textures, here the video:

PS: New Intel drivers were released!

0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

Hi Nikola,

nice work what you do.

I have at the Moment more Frames like you.

Look my Video

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

Hey your Intel HD 530 is much better than the HD 5500 also has a detskop model, then with the i7-6700K CPU I do not think you should have so many framerate issues indeed, has good hardware configuration, compared to my laptop miserable

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

You will be surprised but hardware configuration is bad

You can modify only 5 settings ...

0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

hi, ok you have right. but on your Video i see you can good moving and Play

What you need, is DDR4 Ram. iGPU 530 has GT2 Technology. Difference is only ddr4 ram.

HD 5500 is good GPU. If you have bad Performance with Fallout 4, because this game not Support Intel GPU or is not optimized for iGPU.

GTA V has better graphic and work very nice on Intel graphics. because it is optimized for Intel gpu.

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

Yes, it is true what you say, in fact, before the 1.3 patch Fallout 4 could also be played with 720p resolution and had a framerate around 20-25 fps, after the patches have weighed down and rendered unplayable on Intel boards, but I do not think is their fault ... Then it is also true that it can depend on an optimization work, as you said GTA V works very well, even MGS V the Phantom Pain, and there are other games with similar requirements or slightly above that work much better Fallout 4.

But with these Intel cards we can not expect who knows what, and we must be content with the little that can offer us

0 Kudos