Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HD 4000 random crashes

idata
Employee

I have an i7 3770 and I installed the latest driver available on the site.

I noticed that these mysterious crashes began when I installed the graphics driver; when it crashes, it has no BSOD, it just simply shuts off and then restarts itself randomly. At times predictably when I play videos.

Upon uninstalling the graphics driver, there is no random shutdowns and restarts even when I play my videos (but since I don't have a proper driver, it plays the video not so smoothly)

I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, a Corsair GS700 PSU, 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz, a Seagate 500GB SATA, no GPU, and running on Windows Ultimate 64bit.

Is there a problem with my processor's graphics? Should I have it replaced? Still fresh warranty since it is an Ivy Bridge.

Thanks guys and gals! And do tell me if I have violated any rule on posting!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

I have a i5-3570k, and i am having the same issues, thought i picked up a bad microsoft update so i got the EXE from intel, and its still doing it!!! says that the graphics media accelerator has stopped responding and is now restored...

0 Kudos
rjal
New Contributor I

look at this thread.

not everyone in that thread has the exact same problem but they seem related. In my case i also noticed sensitivity to video and other imaging content. Mine is even repeatable, it will always crash a t a certain picture and recover when i close it (hitting esc) or at the same position/scene in a video. Player or viewer don't seem to matter, resolution and displayed size do. It seems to happen less when no scaling is applied to the content. However this is not consistent.

Robert.

idata
Employee

Thanks for the link. It is a relief to know that I am not the only one having issues with the Intel HD4000. Also nice to know that the engineering team in Intel are aware of such driver issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rather than start a new thread, I just wanted to chime in and indicate I am having the same issue with my build with i5-3570k using the Intel HD4000. Random restarts in D3 (no BSOD) and will restart during OCCT PSU test and usually GPU test. Everything including motherboard bios updated. However, It can run Prime 95, memtest, and Intel Burn for 24hrs stable with no errors. I tested with a different PSU and a different set of memory. I even tested voltages from the 24pin and from a molex under load.

I hope to eventually get a dedicated gfx card, but I hope they figure this out.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-D3H

RAM: G. SKill Ripjaw F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

HDD: Crucial m4 128GB

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520W

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My system had the crash again last week but this time, WITHOUT the driver for HD 4000. Now that I know it isn't a driver problem, it surely was a hardware problem. Having created a flow chart of possible causes based on my findings and my current specs, I pointed my attention to my RAM. I had it undergo several stress tests like MemTest, etc. and it checked out, but I noticed the timing was 9-9-9-28 and it is marketed to run at 9-9-9-24 @ 1.25v.

I went to BIOS to manually set them up at the proper timing (and proper volts just in case) and since then, I had no crashes. I replicated all the things I used to do prior to the crashes... but no crash whatsoever. I even installed the HD 4000 driver again, and no crashes.

Check your RAM just in case that it is the one that causes problems...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey,

Thanks for actually replying back to me on this one. I can promise you mine was not a RAM issue as I had already set the timings in BIOS. I bought a graphics card on the cheap (open box) and have not had the issues I had previously with it. For me, it was definitely an issue with the HD4000, whether it was the drivers, the actually on die component of the processor, or something along the way... I am not interested in finding out.. but I will probably RMA in within 3 years so someone interested in the problem can.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

how many shared memory are you all selecting in bios ?

some games work only with 512MB or more VRam error free. Asus and Asrock Motherboard supported 1024mb Shared memory.

If you have DDR3 Memory with 1.25v, use XMP profile or change the Ram Voltage to 1.30v - 1.35v.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

1. Did not influence the problem as system still crashed with varying degrees of setup for the IGP in BIOS.

2. Irrelevant. IB is rated to work with memory running at 1.5v. I will humor you though... When I was messing around with this issue last month, raising memory voltage and pll voltage to maintain a good ratio... did not solve the issue.

Dedicated Graphics solved the issue for me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i think you must contact Gigabyte support. This is Motherboard manyfactory problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi! I just played around with stress tests like Prime95, and had my crashes occurring in the tests. So my RAM fix... well didn't quite fix it.

I am now leaning towards a cheap-o graphics card to hopefully solve the case. May I ask if you ran any stress tests like Prime95 without any crashes?

I know it may be too much, but if you hadn't used Prime95, can you maybe download it and run a test? Mine immediately crashes when I run the 2nd or 3rd option of tests.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey man,

The system ran 24hrs of Prime95 no errors and I 19 passes (21 hrs) of memtest v4.2 with no errors. That was all before I tried using a dedicated gfx card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

May I ask what makes you think it's a Mobo issue. From my understanding, IGP is almost completely controlled by the CPU now... either way they both have 3 year warranties so I can just RMA them both before the next upgrade if I feel the need or the issue manifests itself again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

because i understood you cant change any config in your motherboard bios by iGPU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oh, so wait, you did all these tests before you purchased your dedicated graphics card?

Oh my, I constantly crash without a graphics card when I run Prime95 (memtest don't seem to be a problem).

I wonder if getting a dedicated card will solve my problems still...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey man,

I am making an assumption that English is not your first language... so I apologize if this sounds offensive.

I have the option to configure the crap out of IGP in BIOS. It was not the issue as it did not matter what the setting was as far as memory allocation or setting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, all of those tests were before dedicated gfx. I didn't even bother with Prime and memtest after getting a 6850... went straight to Furmark and OCCT:PSU 6+ hrs no problems... And besides AMD drivers not being the best all the time, absolutely no restarts since.

If it's not even getting through Prime and memtest is ok... I probably wouldn't even bother and would just RMA CPU. What did Intel have to say?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah I think it is best if I get the system stable enough for Prime95 before I think about gambling on a graphics card...

I might have this replaced in the shop where I purchased it. Most likely, I'll have this run Prime95 in their test bench and if the crash still continues, at least I got a one year replacement warranty in the shop plus the 3 year manufacturer warranty.

Hehehe I still have some heavy exams for the next two weeks. I will have these checked after and report my findings (and hopefully a fix)

Thanks buddy!

EDIT:

I think I will also give OCCT PSU a shot just in case. Nice to rule out every other cause. Let you know what is the outcome.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here are my full reports:

Memtest: Passed

Prime95: Passed using "Small FTTs" option; Crashed (black screen and restart) during In-place large FTTs and Blend option stress tests.

OCCT: Crashed on PSU Test crashed immediately at the start, but after that, it didn't crash; CPU Test crashed at around 20 seconds after the start of the test.

Monitoring the voltages during the tests, 12v never dipped below 12.3v and never over 12.355v; 5v never dipped below 5.088v and never over 5.112v in any of the tests.

Temperatures were maxed at 82 C when running Prime95 at "Small FTTs"

Guess this may truly be a CPU problem. sigh.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you don't mind me asking, what is your cooling situation?

"Temperatures were maxed at 82C when running Prime95 at "Small FTTs" I would be &^%$&$^ bricks with current gen cpu at this temperature at stock. I am guessing this is stock cooling... I recommend something aftermarket for later

Otherwise when you do go to test the CPU in the shop, make sure to check pins on mobo and cpu as something is clearly wrong...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LOL yep, I'm currently using a stock cooler. But when I do go to the shop, I am planning on getting me a Cooler Master Hyper212 or Hyper 412 Slim edition. =]

Sure hope I could fix this problem. I've been dying to get back into video rendering and photo editing. LOL

0 Kudos