Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HD 4000 reverts to 1024 X 768 when using KVM

SHAYN
Beginner

op I am using a Sony 32" TV as my monitor on my "New" MSI Z77A-GD65/Core i5-3570K/16GB build via HD4000 graphics, connected via the VGA port, running at 1360X768. I have Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1 installed and have run Windows Update (a new build not yet in production use - almost no applications other than MoBo utilities, drivers and standard Windows includes).

I have no issues with the display in operation until I switch to my other "Old" system (running at 1360X768 via an Nvidia based adapter) via KVM and then back. When I return to the New system, the resolution reverts to 1024X768 and stretches it to fit - not a pretty or usable sight!

I have had no such issues with any other system I have connected via the KVM whether on-board graphics or a dedicated graphics adapter is used - including some that used Intel on-board graphics.

I have reverted to an older Intel driver (no change), and then removed the Intel driver in favor of the default Windows driver, where the problem does not exist. So for now I have to choose between a basic display or reset the resolution each time I switch between systems.

In the Intel Driver Control Panel (both versions I have tried) the drop down menus do not contain any information - anywhere I looked. It won't allow setting anything. The website detection will not detect my driver version, though it detects the HD 4000 correctly. I used the driver provided by MSI initially, then tried the current 8.15 version from this site. Same behaviors with both.

Any suggestions are appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Steve

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Steve

What model Sony TV are you using?

0 Kudos
SHAYN
Beginner

Hi Robert,

I have a Bravia KDL-32LL150 w/software v. 1.014

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Steve

Thanks, we are investigating this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am experiencing the same problem. I have a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard (not sure what model), i7 3770K connected to a Samsung SyncMaster 2443 monitor.

Thank you for your help!

Paul

0 Kudos
SHAYN
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I have not determined a solution using the HD4000 graphics in my set up, and yours is the first response in nearly 3 weeks to my post.

I have to have my KVM, and needed to move forward, so I added a graphics adapter (HD7750 from XFX). That adapter, and it's drivers, function correctly, and have since installation. It is not expensive ($100+-), but still irritating to have to purchase it since I "paid" for graphics at the needed level in the CPU/Motherboard combo. The wheels of progress turn slowly though and I can't wait.

I have never seen this behavior in any other graphics combination. Besides my in-house needs, I use the KVM to connect systems I'm working on (for malware removal or such) and for set up and loading new systems, so there have been dozens of variations.

Hopefully Intel will find some answer, someday.

Good luck to us all!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steve,

After posting here, I did some more research and found a reg hack that seems to work, at least for now. I edited a couple of values in the following key. Keep in mind my monitor has a 16x10 aspect ratio and 1920x1200 is its native resolution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\NOEDID_8086_0162_00000000_00020000_1010100^41CB1C07B156790837DBDF65C34617E9\00

DWORD value PrimSurfSize.cx = 1920, decimal

DWORD value PrimSurfSize.cy = 1200, decimal

According to the post I found, it doesn't solve everyone's problem, but it seems to work for me.

I'm still hoping Intel will come up with a proper and permanent solution. I use an 8 port KVM to work on seven PCs, and while I have nVidia, ATI and Intel video, this is the first time I have experienced this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi steelpenguin,

you are my hero !

I have had that boring issue with my HD4000 and an ASUS VK266H Monitor as well.

On my 2 other machines with Windows 8 Pro x64 and Ubuntu x64 and different GPUs also attached to the KVM switch I did not have such problems.

Thank you very much for your posting, your solution is working for me - you made my day 🙂

Best wishes

Sigi

0 Kudos
TGass
Beginner

patching the values in PrimarySurfSize.x? in the registry entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\NOEDID_8086_???\00

works fine here. the ??? seems to differ dependent on driver- and operating-system-version.

• mainboard asus b85m
  • processor i3-4130
  • windows 7 home
  • resolution 1400x1050

thanks!

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

We have identified the cause of the issue and are currently working on a solution to resolve it. I will post updates here as more information becomes available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert_U - do you have any updates for us? We would all benefit from a driver that allows the use of a KVM. We want to see that the display resolution settings remain fixed.

Looking forward to a solution!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same issue on a HP Elitebook 8470p/WIN 7 64 bit/HD 4000 Driver version 8.15.10.2712 (3/26/2012) connected to a KVM. I am also hoping to run this laptop in dual-monitor mode. The odd thing is that when I switch to another computer on the KVM, the laptop suddenly thinks that the monitor is connected and all display settings return to what I want on the laptop while I am connected to another computer. The driver appears to be recognizing the opposite. (shows proper settings when I am connected to another computer and reverts to 1024X768 when selected)

I installed the new driver version 9.18.10.3071 (3/19/2013), rebooted and now I cannot set a higher resolution (max = 1366x768) on the larger display (Samsung 245BW). The Intel Graphics Control panel can't even recognize the type of display connected!!

Next, I downloaded and installed a previous version - 9.17.10.2932 (12/12/2012) - At least I got my resolution options back for the larger monitor! Unfortunately, the system will not keep the display resolution settings. NOTE: I have 2 other HP laptops with Radeon HD 6470M display adapters that do not have this problem. If Intel can fix this issue, I will be come a fan. If not, I will encourage HP to drop the Intel display adapters.

0 Kudos
SDave1
Beginner

I have an HP ProBook 6470b with the same graphics chips and the same problem. It works fine connecting it to my LG 17" monitor directly, but when going through the KVM it eventually reverts back to some unknown configuration and won't let me pick a resolution higher than 1366x768. Every other PC on the KVM works fine, recognizes the monitor and automatically sets the correct resolution. I tried the registry changes, but they do not work in my case. Intel needs to fix this!

0 Kudos
SDave1
Beginner

The latest drivers from Intel have fixed the problem for me. I am now able to enjoy my HD monitor!

The driver version is 9.18.10.3165 - you can update your drivers by going to this link:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

0 Kudos
ADuns1
Beginner

Last weekend, I built a new computer using an Asus P8H77-I motherboard and Pentium G2130 (@3.2GHz) CPU with integrated graphics, with Windows 7 64-bit Home premium. I use a Belkin Omniview Pro2 8-way KVM, and a Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW (same as the gent above).

I experienced no issues when switching screens with the default Windows 7 video driver, but as soon as the full Intel driver is installed, I get the referenced behaviour. The "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel" shows no values under Display (everything is blank!). Screen Resolution shows ""1.Display device on: VGA" with 1024x768. If I select 1920x1200,it works fine until I switch over to another computer and back. I was also unable to install the Samsung monitor driver..

It appears to be related to monitor detection not working with the Intel driver routed through the KVM VGA.The same setup works great if one uses a direct cable from the VGA port to the monitor. It detected the monitor via PnP correctly, and I was able to install the Samsung monitor driver.

The bad news is that this is with driver version 9.18.10.3165, dated 2013-05-07, module WIN64_15319.

0 Kudos
ADuns1
Beginner

Changing the default x and y resolution as mentioned above to default to 1920x1200 does work around my current issue, but I would prefer the driver be fixed rather than rely on a hack forever.

0 Kudos