Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20706 Discussions

HD 4000 triple monitor works in Linux, not Windows

DLars1
Beginner

I have a Lenovo T430 with Intel HD 4000 and the Lenovo Mini Dock Plus. I have connected two identical displays using the DisplayPort connectors on the dock and would like to keep the laptop's internal display also active.

I've tried various combinations, but no matter what I choose, I can only have two displays active at any given time in Windows 8 (64-bit). The Intel website shows a third display option will appear in the control panel, but I have yet to see it appear. I even tried updating to the latest driver available on Intel's website without any improvement.

What's very odd is this same laptop and configuration works fine in Ubuntu 11.04 with all three displays enabled. It seems very odd to me that the Windows driver is limited, yet the Linux driver is not.

Is there any trick to force the third display to enable? Is this a problem with Windows 8 or a limitation of the driver?

0 Kudos
90 Replies
DH_1
Beginner

so isn't there some way to share a clock with my two monitors on TB ports?

Or did ATI and Nvidia threaten you? If this doesn't get a response I can find something to really press your GUI buttons

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

That doesn't really give any details. For all I know, you could be using multiple cards or another graphics chip.

How about some screenshots from the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel's Information Center? Let's see the details for each monitor to see if they're truly passive. Maybe a screenshot from your Device Manager showing that only one card is present.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

I would actually need a screenshot from DM of video cards and a realtime video of the connections from the back of your machine to the monitors.

But really.... if Jay is going to be sly about this what does that say about intel? that they dont want people using 3 monitors? What is to gain by not having this function?

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

I'm not trying to hammer Intel. I just want some acknowledgement that if it works in Linux, then it's not a hardware limitation and thus it technically should work in Windows.

Anyway, this really only matters to me so far as to help out others. My time wasted on this has far exceeded the savings by going with the HD 4000.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

Agreed. Waste of my time. I have been dealing with IGFX problems for over 6 months.

drlarsen.... you have only helped..... make me angry

If I didn't know it works perfectly in Linux, I would have followed the masses repeating the mantra "active dongle" "active dongle".....

Now I actually feel cheated by Intel, since windows sees all my monitors, but the HD4000 graphics panel only sees 2.

So for me, first the horrible blackscreen issue (Intel fail), then the heralding of 3 monitors (fail again). Why should I expect any future integrated graphics to even work properly in any system except maybe a 400px tablet?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Seriously folks, we want to help here and are working to replicate and resolve this issue. I just ordered above mention HW by lyt to debug the issue. As for my system, it is running 3 displays flawlessly. However, it is not a desktop system so your mileage may vary,, and seems to be. That is why I ordered what you have.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

Glad to hear it Robert.

Sometimes there is a knee jerk reaction when dealing with a behemoth like intel ....just expecting the worst. You have exceeded my expectations. I also started a new thread on the issue as I did not mean to hijack this one.....

communities.intel.com/thread/43808

My main concerns and my main issue is that unlike drlarsen, all my monitors only take DVI or VGA. but I still thought the two mDP ports would be on the same clock.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

"but I still thought the two mDP ports would be on the same clock. "

Yeah I have been scouring Gigabytes website to see how that board is spec'd . So far I cannot find that info.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Robert, I do appreciate the effort. I understand that you work within the constraints you're given. If you're ordering the hardware so that you can replicate the same condition, well that's great news and honestly more than I imagined was happening.

Anyway, based on your screenshots, I think I see the reason this works for you. Your built-in display is DisplayPort, therefore your have 2 clocks available for external displays. If you have something like my Lenovo T430, the built-in display is LVDS which uses up one of the available clocks. Also, you seem to have a newer driver than what is available publicly (9.18.10.3234 vs 9.18.10.3165).

So, I believe the issue is that the Windows driver is not allowing two identical external displays to use a single clock, even though it's technically possible (as happens in Linux).

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Yes my config is different, however, it does demonstrate it works. As for the driver 3234, yes it is pre-release however, it also worked with 3165. Additionally, have you seen http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm Graphics — Configuration 3-Displays FAQ ? There is some info in there that may be helpful.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

It works for me too, using the active dongles which present the display as if it were actually DisplayPort. Basically, your config works because in effect it is the same as mine is with active adapters.

And yes, I saw the FAQ. It is how I originally determined that I should be able to run a triple monitor setup. The FAQ says passive adapters are required, active is only supported with VGA and that if your laptop uses LVDS, then you need to use DisplayPort for both external monitors.

This is misleading because you need either two monitors which have native DisplayPort connections (uncommon) or you have to use active adapters (officially unsupported). If you use passive adapters as the FAQ is suggesting, it will not work with LVDS (in Windows).

All of this ignores the fact it works fine in Ubuntu/Linux without the need for active adapters at all.

Please try testing with a laptop with LVDS and two passive DisplayPort adapters as suggested in the FAQ. When you find it doesn't work in Windows, try booting an Ubuntu live CD and you'll see what I mean. Either the documentation online needs amending, or (preferably) the Windows driver does.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

from the manual:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZLCzKEx.jpg[/IMG] http://i.imgur.com/ZLCzKEx.jpg[/IMG]

DVI cannot be used while mDP2 is used. So supposedly that is the only limitation.

I have been on the line with gigabyte support several times. they are going to be testing the configuration.

Support # for gigabyte is is 626 854 9338 (then # 3 for tech) The technician is Ching who was assisting me. He told me they will be directly testing the configuration with this mobo and passive adapters. They were sort of dumbfounded that it did not work as well.

I think the bottom line is what drlarsen has been saying all along. Its a clock issue. HD4000 has 2 clocks but you should be able to put duplicate monitors on one clock.

I went ahead and ordered an active adapter, it was 20 bucks. not a bad price to pay, but the headache cost much more. Any plain person would just expect that if a chip and mobo both say "supports 3 displays" that it should work, regardless of connection type.

0 Kudos
MChen71
Beginner

drlarsen,

Do you have TWO active DisplayPort -> DVI adapters? Does the triple monitor setup work if you only have ONE active adapter and one passive?

I ask because I'm trying to set up triple monitors for a Dell e6330 with Port Replicator. The port replicator has one DisplayPort, a DVI port, and a VGA port. I currently have a passive DisplayPort -> DVI adapter, and can get triple monitors working in Ubuntu but not Win7. I'm thinking that the DVI port on the port replicator is a passive DisplayPort -> DVI adapter, and I don't think there is a way to change that one, so I'm limited to adding an active adapter only to the DisplayPort.

Since you've got the setup, I was wondering if you could try out using a Passive adapter on one monitor and an active adapter on the other to let me know if that allows you to have triple monitors on Windows?

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

menzieschen,

I did try that configuration first, with one Passive DP->DVI and one Active DP->DVI but it didn't work.

There is a simple test you can perform to see if your system is seeing an Active or Passive DP cable:

- find the Information Center in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel (on the Options screen on mine)

- locate your monitor in the Report Type dropdown

- if it is Active, both "Connector Type" and "Device Type" will show DisplayPort

- if it is Passive, only "Connector Type" will show DisplayPort, while "Device Type" will show DVI (or whatever)

While you're there, check your Built-in Display. If "Connector Type" shows LVDS, then most likely you won't have any luck with only one Active cable.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
MChen71
Beginner

Thanks, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I think I'm out of luck, both monitors currently show "Connector Type: DisplayPort; Device Type: DVI", so they are both currently passive. I can swap one into an active adapter, but the other is part of the port replicator.

I guess the only solution for me is if Intel releases updated drivers to mimic the Linux drivers, but that seems unlikely.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

One other option according to the supported configurations matrix would be to use WiDi, but I personally have no experience with that.

0 Kudos
KEl-M
Beginner

Robert_U/Intel,

Are you able to come up with a decent solution to this problem anytime soon? I've done lots of testing and I'm not able to get it to work, this is critical for my work to have more than 2 monitors so I'm currently using USB 3.0 DisplayLink Adapter but I need something with more performance. The issue is obviously with the Windows Driver for Intel HD 4000 Graphics.

Hope your able to come up with a reply to this thread quickly as we're considering to replace my current computer if we're unable to make it work as intended.

0 Kudos
DTeag
Beginner

It seems that we have the standard it works for us message from them. Even though it seems they are the only ones that it works for in windows.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello, I am checking on an update for this as we were gathering hardware to replicate this as per the last response provided on this.

I'll let you know as soon as a response on this.

0 Kudos
KEl-M
Beginner

Thank you. I'll be awaiting your reply!

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Don't hold your breath -- I've been waiting on an answer for months. Intel likes to say they're investigating, but then nothing really happens. My guess is they don't want you returning your laptop citing a problem with an Intel part, so it's best for them to drag the issue out until you can no longer return it.

An excellent example of this is the Intel 6235 wireless thread. There's 50+ pages of people over there who have been waiting over a year for a fix for an outrageous problem.

If it's an option for you, I'd suggest returning the laptop and getting one with a discrete graphics chip from one of Intel's major competitors. Otherwise, your only choice is to use "active" DisplayPort adapters if you have two available DisplayPorts, or the USB 3.0 adapter if not.

0 Kudos